PDA

View Full Version : 1st Hali from the Surf - 11/7

Tesserz
11-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Jason and I had such a great time at Hunting Giants II that it motivated us to recon new areas and get back to surf fishing. Our previous surf fishing experiences were mostly bait and wait or using little grubbies for the perchies, but it was time for us to graduate to slinging the LCs. :LOL:

Got to the new spot a little late, around 6:30am. Sun was already out and waves were pretty rough. Got nothing for the first few hours and was getting discouraged. SWAT makes it look so easy! :Envious: Waves were pounding pretty hard... I tried to brave the high swells and got pushed around.. even got knocked over once and dunked my reel trying not to fall on my butt. :Sad: But it's ok, I was the laughing the whole time. :Razz: The bucket brigaders started closing in on us and stocking up on jacksmelt so we decided it was time to move.

The conditions at the 2nd spot looked better... but the sun was high in the sky and it was really heating up. Jason got a few bumps but nothing stuck. After about an hour, we finally got our first hookup.

YES! No skunk for him. :Cool:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/xotessox8/DSC06511.jpg

About a minute later, I hooked up! At first I thought it would be a sandie too but when I heard a little zzz!! from my reel, I knew it was a nicer fish. Turned out to be my first hali from the surf. :Razz:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/xotessox8/DSC06517-1.jpg

Pink tape was a souvenir from Hunting Giants II.. thx Wingnut, now we're matching. :LOL:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/xotessox8/DSC06512.jpg

ALMOST legal, but I was just happy to catch something, lol.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/xotessox8/DSC06514.jpg

After getting splashed by a couple waves, I hooked up again.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/xotessox8/DSC06519.jpg

We thought things were picking up since we caught those fish back to back, but we must've just caught the end of the bite as we got nothing else for another couple hours. We decided to call it a day around 12:30pm. Not too bad for our first recon trip. Both my fish were caught on an LC that I won at Hunting Giants II.. customized by Jason. :Wink:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/xotessox8/DSC06518.jpg

As newbies to this type of surf fishing, we're hoping to recon more areas and catch more quality fish in the future. :Cool:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bonus pics:

Hit up the harbor on Sat 11/6. High winds and strong outgoing tide made for a crap fishing day for us, but we managed 1 spottie, 1 sandie, and 1 short hali (not pictured) between the two of us.

First cast curse in full effect. My only fish of the day, but at least it was a pretty nice one. :Big Grin:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/xotessox8/DSC06507.jpg

What happened to his eye?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/xotessox8/DSC06508.jpg

Till next time! :Fishing Catch:

Badbeat
11-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Nice Butt, halibut I mean :Envious:, now go get a legal one. :Wink:
That's a killer looking Spottie too. :Shocked: You guys had a nice weekend.

blackwater
11-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Way to go Tess! You'll never forget your first surf Halibut. :Big Grin:
That spot looks familiar, I think I know where you got your intel from. :Secret:
I didn't get a chance to congratulate you on your 2nd place win at Hunting Giants II, well done. :Cool:

Jaysuuun
11-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I would cringe every time I saw you getting smashed by waves. :Shocked: I thought for sure the trip would end soon when you got rolled, but you got back up and kept on going. :Surprised: You put in some hard work today and I was impressed. :Thumbs Up: Congrats on your first surf hali. Don't worry we'll get those legals soon.

Fat Tony
11-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Great report congrats on the first hali:Applause:.Ever since Hunting Giants II Ive been focusing on the surf too what a gret time...:Cool:

HESBROS
11-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Dang Tess, just short by a hiar! Congrats on a first. Glad to see your mission was a success as was the SWAT! But since I have with with you and Jason I am not surpised at your success! You fiswh hard and it pays off for you! I am going to have to meet up with you and Jason for a surf session.

murrieta angler
11-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Great Job Tess!
21 3/16", Danggggg, that close!?
Oh well, there are bigger models out there waiting for you and Jayson.
Sometimes those waves can suck you down, from the front and back. I try to stand with my feet, at least, shoulder width apart. It makes for a more strudy stance.
Next time you guys head out don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.
I'll take you to a couple of decent spots.
Take Care & Thanks for the Report & Pics,

Robert
<><

Wingnut
11-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Excellent job Jason & Tess! I'm glad the spot produced for you guys. :Big Grin: A few S.W.A.T. members have been rolled down there... including myself. :LOL:
Tess, congrats on the first near legal Flattie. I have no doubt that a big legal one is coming up for you shortly. :Wink: We should all hit the surf together one day. :Cool:

troutdog
11-08-2010, 11:48 AM
What a great way to spend the day, VERY close on that hali being legal....you'll get it soon enough! Thanks for sharing the adventure!

TD

Tesserz
11-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Nice Butt, halibut I mean :Envious:, now go get a legal one. :Wink:
That's a killer looking Spottie too. :Shocked: You guys had a nice weekend.

LOL thanks Badbeat. Yes I will definitely go out again to try for a legal! And ya, I was pretty happy about that spottie.. until 6 hours went by without so much as another bite. :LOL: But the near-legal the next day made up for it. :Big Grin:

Way to go Tess! You'll never forget your first surf Halibut. :Big Grin:
That spot looks familiar, I think I know where you got your intel from. :Secret:
I didn't get a chance to congratulate you on your 2nd place win at Hunting Giants II, well done. :Cool:

Heheheh. :Secret: A couple of people helped us find that spot and Jason and I are extremely grateful for the intel. :Wink: And yes, I will never forget my first surf hali! Now I'm more determined than ever to catch a legal! :Envious:
Oh and thanks about HGII. :Big Grin: We were fishing off to the side and didn't really get a chance to meet everyone. Hopefully we'll see each other again at the next event or out on the surf sometime. :Razz:

I would cringe every time I saw you getting smashed by waves. :Shocked: I thought for sure the trip would end soon when you got rolled, but you got back up and kept on going. :Surprised: You put in some hard work today and I was impressed. :Thumbs Up: Congrats on your first surf hali. Don't worry we'll get those legals soon.

LOL, you know how I do! :Cool: Getting rocked by a couple waves won't stop me from trying to catch a fish... it's getting down to the water that poses a problem for me. :Embarrassed: :LOL: Yes, we WILL get those legals soon! And you better not catch yours before I catch mine. :Envious:

Great report congrats on the first hali:Applause:.Ever since Hunting Giants II Ive been focusing on the surf too what a gret time...:Cool:

Thanks!! We've been wanting to try out more challenging surf spots for a while and HGII gave us our push. :Smile: I haven't caught a legal in 2010 and I only have a few more weeks to go. :Confused: Hopefully I can get one in time! Since you've been focusing on the surf too maybe we'll see you out there sometime! :Big Grin:

Dang Tess, just short by a hiar! Congrats on a first. Glad to see your mission was a success as was the SWAT! But since I have with with you and Jason I am not surpised at your success! You fiswh hard and it pays off for you! I am going to have to meet up with you and Jason for a surf session.

Eddie!! I know, I was so close. :mad: It woulda been cool to get a legal as my first surf hali, but really I was just happy to get the skunk off. :LOL: It was a bonus that it happened to be a nice fish. :Big Grin: Hehehe yes, you know how hard I try. I was in deeper water than Jason the whole time. :Secret: :ROFL: But he stayed dry and I got soaked. :Neutral: And yes we most definitely should meet up for a surf session! You and Jason set it up! :Razz:

Great Job Tess!
21 3/16", Danggggg, that close!?
Oh well, there are bigger models out there waiting for you and Jayson.
Sometimes those waves can suck you down, from the front and back. I try to stand with my feet, at least, shoulder width apart. It makes for a more strudy stance.
Next time you guys head out don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.
I'll take you to a couple of decent spots.
Take Care & Thanks for the Report & Pics,

Robert
<><

I knowwww, big bummer. But it's ok, we'll be back. :Cool:
Yes, I've tried different stances to see which keeps me the most planted when those bigger waves approach. What seems to work best for me is like a fighting stance. :LOL: Sounds silly but it helps me keep my balance and since my body's slightly turned, the wave doesn't slash up my front, smack me in the face, then crash down on my reel (which happened quite a few times, haha). Jason thinks it's worse for me because I'm short too. Can't do anything about that! :Envious:
We'll definitely let you know the next time we go out. And let us know too... San Onofre isn't too bad of a drive for us. :Wink:

Excellent job Jason & Tess! I'm glad the spot produced for you guys. :Big Grin: A few S.W.A.T. members have been rolled down there... including myself. :LOL:
Tess, congrats on the first near legal Flattie. I have no doubt that a big legal one is coming up for you shortly. :Wink: We should all hit the surf together one day. :Cool:

Thanks for everything, Arthur! :Razz: Ya, getting rolled wasn't fun but it's all part of the experience, I suppose. :LOL: What's funny was I didn't care too much that I fell over and that I was soaked… what was running through my mind was, “Get the reel out of the water!! The spare is alllllll the way back at the truck!” :ROFL:
I’m determined to go back and get that legal. I know we still have a lot to learn and many more places to explore. HGII got the ball rolling and now we’re on a mission. :Cool: Yes, we all should definitely hit up the surf together sometime… let us know!

What a great way to spend the day, VERY close on that hali being legal....you'll get it soon enough! Thanks for sharing the adventure!
TD
Thanks TroutDog, I hope you’re right! :LOL: And btw, I didn’t get a chance to congratulate you at HGII. You really worked it at the fish-off! Hope to see you again at the next event! :Big Grin:

flyngby
11-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Tess,

Great job on a so close Flattie from the surf! You will get that legal soon! :Thumbs Up:

Splashed? HMM! :ROFL: Even with all the battle gear we wear you are bound to get drenched by some rogue wave every now and then! :Bug Eyes:

OH nice Spottie also! None of that quality wanted to play today!

Jason,

Some sound advice here! :Wink: :Romance:

:Getting rocked by a couple waves won't stop me from trying to catch a fish... Yes, we WILL get those legals soon! And you better not catch yours before I catch mine. :Envious:

Look forward to fishing with you 2 again!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif.

DockRat
11-09-2010, 05:38 AM
That spot looks familiar ???

Nice Halibut.
DR

Tesserz
11-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Tess,

Great job on a so close Flattie from the surf! You will get that legal soon! :Thumbs Up:

Splashed? HMM! :ROFL: Even with all the battle gear we wear you are bound to get drenched by some rogue wave every now and then! :Bug Eyes:

OH nice Spottie also! None of that quality wanted to play today!

Jason,

Some sound advice here! :Wink: :Romance:

Look forward to fishing with you 2 again!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif.

LOL thanks Steve! Yes, after a while it seemed that the jacket and waders were keeping the water IN rather than OUT. :LOL:
We hadn't been to HH in over a year so I wasn't expecting a spottie like that. :Surprised: Haven't been to NPH in a while too... hopefully the bigger models will come out soon. We're due for a trip down there. :Razz:
And we should all plan a surf trip soon! Still waiting to see Eddie's infamous pink floaties! :Sissy Fight:

That spot looks familiar ???

Nice Halibut.
DR

Thanks DockRat. :Smile: