PDA

View Full Version : School me on Tubes and Yaks.

xjdesertfox
11-07-2010, 03:55 PM
So i'm in the market for a tube or yak, ive been thinking float tube all this time but recently i've been looking more into yaks.

I have a truck to haul the yak, but storage is somewhat of a concern as i live in an apartment(i have enough room in the apartment however to store a yak).

I really like the idea of using a tube and that i can kick to reposition myself while i'm fishing. However, on the same token, i guess you can say i have fear of the deep blue sea, i plan on using this in harbors mainly, and im afraid of what may lurk in the water such as sharks and rays. So with a kayak i'm somewhat safer as my entire body is in the watercraft.

For tubes I was looking into:
FC4
ODC420
Caddis Nav2

in that order, is there anything else i'm missing that i should look into? Will i be able to carry about 3-4 3600 size plano boxes with these watercraft?

For yaks:
I have no idea where to start...sit on top? length? how would i build rod holders? what about storage? are they stable?

Money is somewhat of a concern, but i figure for the price of a tube and nice fins im almost on my way to getting a decent kayak?

any help is appreciated =D

Manuel
11-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey XJ,

I've got a Malibu Extreme kayak and a ODC 420 tube.

I also fish the bays and LBC.

As you have already stated the tube lets you easily reposition to get a second whack at'em. In the tube you also have your hands free to fish at all times. You gotta work with the tide, fish both sides, the incoming and outgoing. Otherwise, your fighting the current and make it alot more work.

In the yak you are also at the mercy of the current. You sometimes drift slowly and others you fly by. For me its sometimes tough fishing docks and such in the yak when the water is moving fast. The yak lets you troll when your on the move. In the bay I've caught halibut, bonito, bass and many a mackerel on the troll. The yak lets you cover much more territory in one day. I've started in Alamitos Bay and worked my way out the jetty and around to LBC. Try that in a tube.

If you are only going to get one and you are only going to fish the bays, I'd go tube. With the tube storage and transportation are much easier.

Cost? I'd say the tube is the least expensive option.

With the tube you have to buy: Tube $200, Waders $100, Fins $50 and PFD $50, about $400 total.

With the yak you have to buy: Kayak $500, Paddle $75, Seat $75, and PFD $50 about $700 total.

Tubewise, I've had the Nav II and currently have the ODC 420. For me, the ODC is easily a better craft than the Caddis. I think the order you have them listed is definitely right. While I've never been in the Fish Cat I've read and heard that they are the standard. EBay will net you the best deal on a new tube. You can pick up either the FishCat or ODC under $200 all day long. I got my ODC420 for less than $150 shipped on EBay.

Good Luck.

Manuel

xjdesertfox
11-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the help man, i'll take it all into consideration...maybe i'll get both! lofl.

5150fishn
11-08-2010, 07:57 AM
After float tubing for about 3 years I invested in a kayak. For me the kayak was the best option because of the ability to cover more ground and the ability to troll. I was hooked once in my float tube by a troller and it scared the hell out of me hearing the hiss of air coming out of the tube and trying to kick quickly over to shore. I sold my float tube and have been very happy with my kayak. The disadvantages of the kayak are definately holding position but I deal with it. I bought a perception kayak from Dick's sporting goods on sale and it came with two flush mount rod holders and one rod buddy mounted in front of me and it came with a seat. Price was around $500. Mine is 12'6" sit on top and is stable for me and I am 6'0 and 240#. I mainly use mine in lakes and like to be able to troll but I have had lots of success in the ocean and harbors. They both have there advantages but I too am not a big fan of having my legs in the water in the salt so for me this was the best option.

Manuel
11-08-2010, 07:57 AM
One more thought...You could always demo a kayak to see if it's for you.

I went to Sunset Beach and parked between a Cobra and a Malibu dealer right on PCH and Huntington Harbor. I did a demo on each of their boats, for free. I liked the Malibu better so, I rented it for a few hours. The Malibu shop is now an OEX shop so, they likely carry brands other than Malibu.

Manuel

fishnuv
11-09-2010, 07:58 AM
A kayak would suit your needs better. I sold a used one lor $250 so there are deals out there. I do Newport Harbor and Sierras so I had to get a tube also. I actually like the tube better.

xjdesertfox
11-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Ive decided i'll probably get a tube this year, and pick up a yak next year when i'm in a better position to build something to transport it, or maybe a camper shell.

Darius
11-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Buy a used kayak, you will save tons of money! And when you look at it an kayak will cost $200-400, remember to get one with a paddle and a seat very important. I can tell you from experience I use to go tubing and switched to a kayak I love it much better I probably won't go back unless I don't have my pick up truck for transportation.

Manuel
11-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Darius had to say it, in a roundabout way, bu he still said it:

Once you go yak you won't go back.

I didn't want to be the one to say it. I'm new here and it may not be received well. Thanks Darius.

Manuel

xjdesertfox
11-12-2010, 08:00 AM
id love to buy a yak, i really would, but i drive a shortbed truck with a roll up tonneau cover.

so my only option of transporting a 12'6" kayak (cobra fish n dive) would be to just hang it off the back. but that would be a full 6 feet hanging off the back of my truck.

HBAR
11-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Buy one of those extensions that slide into the trailer hitch then strap it down to the cab somehow and to the extension, you'll be good to go! just a thought

fishnuv
11-12-2010, 11:41 AM
There's now way around it...You need both!

xjdesertfox
11-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Buy one of those extensions that slide into the trailer hitch then strap it down to the cab somehow and to the extension, you'll be good to go! just a thought

my truck has a custom off-road rear bumper with no receiver, id have to plasma cut my bumper and weld in a 2" receiver. the metal alone + the rack would probably bethe price of a roof rack. but i dont even know if a roof rack will work for my truck since its a regular cab.

5150fishn
11-12-2010, 02:37 PM
I have a hitch bed extender that I use and it was only $45.00 at Harbor Freight. And I use a surfboard style cheapy rack on the cab.

Nessie Hunter
11-13-2010, 10:49 AM
I love my tube..
Have considered a Yak, but same issues with transporting it.
I could throw the Tube & gear in the back of my Camaro easily....
Also have a Ranger PU, way easy - Wham Bam, Im gone!!!!!!!

Also considered my Back and sitting like that (had/have some minor back issues at times).

DockRat
11-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Neither, PortaBoat :Thumbs Up: Folds up to 3"
Bass, Catfish, Sharks, Lobster Whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4S2adpG0ps&playnext=1&list=PL18FC3A1E9CA17541&index=8

Tarpon in a PotaBoat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqnCtytrvfQ

DockRat
11-17-2010, 05:52 AM
Here is a good Kayak intro video for beginners.
I can't believe how long his Yak is underwater ! About 6 seconds :Shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iig-Eq2biK4&feature=related

Do not do this on a Yak !

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq308/generalweenis/1278927894_grass-surfing-fail.gif Advanced Redneck Kayak Training :Shocked:
DR

roby
11-17-2010, 08:37 PM
DockRat

Neither, PortaBoat Folds up to 3"
Bass, Catfish, Sharks, Lobster Whatever.

Great video...I've thought about a Porta-Boat for the times I want the whole family to come along.

DockRat
11-18-2010, 06:57 AM
They are pretty cool and stable with the semi tri hull shape.
The problem is they are pricey. I got a older 8' pointy front and rear Fold a boat I took out a few times hooping with oars. Paid $250. This one dude used to go off shore for rockfish on one called Kimba.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x124/portabot/14BOAT4.jpg

Here is one in San Diego Bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNFu-Kv7xCk

Darius
11-19-2010, 03:47 PM
I transport my 12' Ocean Kayak Malibu II on my 6ft bed of my pick up truck. It's not a big deal, securely strap the kayak down, place a big red flag and you're set to go. You could not pay me to go back to my tube, another suggestion is try to buy a kayak that is a tandem. For this reason you get to bring along a friend and when it gets windy you tell them to paddle while you fish! Even more this wipes out the complaints of having your hands full while you fish, now you're hands free with your buddy paddling for you. Lastly, I cannot praise the kayak enough heck when you got to take a pee all it takes is couple of paddles then your back to shore. You could also eat your lunch on your kayak also. Try that with your tube.

FishBalls
11-24-2010, 12:17 AM
PortaBoats look pretty cool - I thought about gettin one to throw in my 4runner.

DockRat
11-24-2010, 05:59 AM
PortaBoats look pretty cool .

You still need CF #s for a motor on them.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x124/portabot/HOLDINGBOATUNDERARM.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x124/portabot/BOATANDKIDSLYINGDOWN.jpg

SandFish
01-13-2011, 07:11 AM
I would have to agree with darius . Ive been float tubing for 15 yrs and went to a kayak couple years ago now the only time i use my tube is when i hike in to the backcountry.
I havent had any issues with current or wind drift i use a sit in kayak though not sit on top
I own float tubes ,pontoons,kayaks,28ft power boat(uniflite)30ft columbia(sailboat) out of all of them i use the kayaks 95% of the time

sawoobley
01-13-2011, 07:26 AM
http://ftlauderdaleyakfishingclub.org/yakdesign101.html

A good intro to kayaks. Look into primary and secondary stability and seat height.

:Cool: