PDA

View Full Version : Mono vs Fluoro

a321eric
11-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Does anyone here use fluorocarbon for trout fishing. I know fluoro is less visible underwater but it does tend to break knots easier if they are not tied perfectly.

In your opinion, do you think like 12lb fluorocarbon is less visible than say 4lb mono......?

Do you think I should stick with the mono for trout fishing and switch to fluoro...pros and cons???

Thanks

ultralite88
11-07-2010, 12:39 PM
i recently switched from mono to floro i havnt had any problems with knots breaking or line breaking. just make sure you lubricate the line when tying knows( i use improved clinch, palamar, and surgeons knots) and i dont think it is necasarry to use 12lbs floro i used to use 4lb mono and i currently use 4 lb floro recently landing a personall best at about 7lbs. the only drawback to floro that i see is the price. othe then that i dont have any problems with it.

billy b
11-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Where's the best place to buy it on line? Any sources for 2 and 3 # ???

KingShad
11-18-2010, 07:34 AM
For trout fishing use 2-4 lb floro. Don't go bigger diamond because it's flora. Use a since style knot and wet it before u cinch. I use San Diego cinch.

KingShad
11-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Walmart berkley vanish is 10$ for the large spool which does two small trout reels

DarkShadow
11-18-2010, 02:10 PM
1. Buy quality flouro. In other words, don't buy Vanish. Unless Berkley has changed the way they make that line, it is probably one of, if not, THE worst flouro on the market today. As the saying goes, they call it Vanish because when you set the hook, your bait will Vanish along with the fish. If you're gonna purchase Berkley flouro, go with 100%.

2. If you are tying Palomar knots with flouro, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Go with the Double San Diego jam knot.

3. 2 and 3 pound flouro you can find, it just may take some work. I know a lot of anglers overseas use 3. I've used 3.5# to bass fish without any problems.

Daryl
11-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Go with the Double San Diego jam knot.

In your opinion, is the double that much better than the single when dealing with light line and tackle? And just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the Palomar?

DarkShadow
11-18-2010, 03:27 PM
In your opinion, is the double that much better than the single when dealing with light line and tackle? And just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the Palomar?

I go with the double for peace of mind. The single works equally as well, although with light line, its not that more difficult to go with the double, although ur tag end might look messy.

Fluoro is a more brittle than mono. When most people tie a Palomar, they're not very meticulous (myself included) and in a rush, you'll end up with line on top of line. That equals the line cutting into itself which can lead to disastrous consequences. I always go with some type of clinch knot, because line won't be cutting on itself when its under pressure.

If you are gonna use the Palomar, just make sure the line that lays perpendicular to the hook eye is parallel and not cris-crossed, which can take some attention to detail.

Trout Daddy
11-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Sport Chalet has 2, 3, and 4 # P-Line fluro for 1 cents a yard. They will spool up your reels. Cant beat it. I got all my reels done for less than 10 bucks....

Daryl
11-18-2010, 03:51 PM
I go with the double for peace of mind. The single works equally as well, although with light line, its not that more difficult to go with the double, although ur tag end might look messy.

Fluoro is a more brittle than mono. When most people tie a Palomar, they're not very meticulous (myself included) and in a rush, you'll end up with line on top of line. That equals the line cutting into itself which can lead to disastrous consequences. I always go with some type of clinch knot, because line won't be cutting on itself when its under pressure.

If you are gonna use the Palomar, just make sure the line that lays perpendicular to the hook eye is parallel and not cris-crossed, which can take some attention to detail.

Thanks for the response DS, good info.

Sport Chalet has 2, 3, and 4 # P-Line fluro for 1 cents a yard. They will spool up your reels. Cant beat it. I got all my reels done for less than 10 bucks....

Floroclear of fluorocarbon?

HEMAN
11-18-2010, 03:52 PM

hmm really? never knew it was that cheap.. maybe i'll look into that.

Trout Daddy
11-18-2010, 03:58 PM
hmm really? never knew it was that cheap.. maybe i'll look into that.

Flurocarbon, the good stuff. It is a special they are running. It is definately good line.

Daryl
11-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I'd like to buy a bulk spool for that price.

I see the 4lb Halo on sale for 8 cents a yard.
http://www.sportchalet.com/product/fishing/fishing+line/301664_1848640.do?search=endeca&keyword=line&sortby=ourPicks&page=1

bassmeister
11-18-2010, 04:29 PM
p-floroclear for the main line, and fluorocarbon for the leader. Fluorocarbon is stiffer than mono and hard to keep on spinning reels, and tends to get more wind loops from loosley wound coils. For baitcasters I have less problems with fluorocarbon as main line but still like the mono for castability. As for knots, palomar works fine but like formentioned, make sure you wet knot and dont let loop twist before passing lure or hook through and cinch snugly.

billy b
11-20-2010, 06:26 AM
Trout Daddy ... is that fluorocarbon for sale at SC? ... or fluoroclear (which I was told is not fcarbon ... but mono)?

dockboy
11-20-2010, 08:00 PM
It is flouroclear. Worked at SC in Palmdale during HS. Its a copolymer= mono core with flouro coating. Its less visible than mono, more visible that flouro. I fish it, no problems. I haven't noticed any difference in catch rate between Maxima Ultragreen and flouro. I also like the stretch in mono for trouting. Lighter drags and the last minute runs of better trout in the fight benefit from a little stretch, which pure flouro does not provide much of. Not to mention, good flouro is hard to find in 2-4lb, and expensive to boot. Like I said, Maxima and FC do it just fine for myself