PDA

View Full Version : seal beach pier night fishing

DaBeav
11-05-2010, 02:51 PM
hey im new on here and i know alot of people on here don't fish at night or fish newport and other areas to the south. I can only fish at night and go down to seal beach pier from about 10pm til 2 or 3 am about 3 or 4 times a week. the last couple of times i have gone down this week it has been dead. i was wondering if anyone ever fishes down there at night and maybe could tell me why it has been so dead down there this week? i fish with two poles i have a Shakespeare big water rod with 17lb test that i use with about 3 or 4 ounces and a 18-24 inch leader off the weights and i have just a small rod with 10 lb test that i have 3 hooks on a line with an ounce to 2 ounces of weight at the end of the line for just smaller pier and surf fish. i use squid and cut anchovies. i was just wondering if i doing anything wrong or if it has just died off now that it is fall?

smokehound
11-05-2010, 07:22 PM
hey im new on here and i know alot of people on here don't fish at night or fish newport and other areas to the south. I can only fish at night and go down to seal beach pier from about 10pm til 2 or 3 am about 3 or 4 times a week. the last couple of times i have gone down this week it has been dead. i was wondering if anyone ever fishes down there at night and maybe could tell me why it has been so dead down there this week? i fish with two poles i have a Shakespeare big water rod with 17lb test that i use with about 3 or 4 ounces and a 18-24 inch leader off the weights and i have just a small rod with 10 lb test that i have 3 hooks on a line with an ounce to 2 ounces of weight at the end of the line for just smaller pier and surf fish. i use squid and cut anchovies. i was just wondering if i doing anything wrong or if it has just died off now that it is fall?The fishing here is actually fair throughout the winter. the water in this area tends to be a bit warmer than the surrounding beaches.

The best bite around seal during winter is Halibut. They love cold stormy weather.

DaBeav
11-05-2010, 09:51 PM
thanks man i think im going to head down there tonight and see if anything changes for me. hhopefully the earthquake stirred up the fish and not the trash hahaha

smokehound
11-05-2010, 11:12 PM
thanks man i think im going to head down there tonight and see if anything changes for me. hhopefully the earthquake stirred up the fish and not the trash hahahahey thats right, I remembered feeling an earthquake. It was really short, but quite a jolt! Struck around 9:06 am PDT.

I must inform you though, the water is far warmer further south.

Try hitting Dana point harbor. Their pier is great. Free parking, nice beach to launch a tube from, few people speeding on their boats.. very chill area.

During fall, the croakers can be epic.