PDA

View Full Version : New DFG regulations could eliminate all private fish stocking

fishfinder
11-04-2010, 07:40 PM
I read this off http://freshwater.976-tuna.com/news.php

Doug Elliott doesn’t mince his words: “They want to take away our guns, they’ve said that. Now the state wants to take away our fishing poles, too.”

For the past few months Elliott, who owns Corona Lake with partner Bill Andrews, and runs the fishing concession at Santa Ana River Lakes, has been telling anyone who will listen that one of the unexpected and unnecessary ramifications of the lawsuit against the Department of Fish and Game’s trout and salmon hatchery program is going to be the closing of private hatcheries and fishing lakes who buy fish from those facilities.

If things go the way Elliott fears, all of those hatcheries and fishing lakes will be out of business in short order.

Why? Because of the expenses involved in meeting the DFG’s new requirements under the recently-completed hatchery environmental impact report (EIR), which was mandated by the lawsuit. But the irony is that the lawsuit was only directed at DFG facilities. Currently, private hatcheries and fishing lakes in 37 counties, including most in the southern half of the state are exempt from the same regulations that govern DFG facilities. Those suing the DFG didn’t ask for this, the judge didn’t ask for this. It’s the DFG that decided to “throw private industry under the bus,” according to Elliott.

The DFG staff decided to include private facilities in the new EIR, right along with the state hatcheries. According to the EIR, all of these facilities -- from private hatcheries, to stock ponds, to homeowners associations with their own lakes, to county park lakes, and even golf course ponds -- are going to be required to conduct biological surveys to determine what endangered or “decision” species may exist in their water. They will also have to test to determine if the fish being planted in the lake or grown in the hatchery have any diseases or if invasive species like New Zealand mud snails or quagga mussels are present. The invasive species testing would have to be done quarterly, and all surveys and testing will have to be done at the expense of the lake or hatchery owner.

A catfish farm owner in the Imperial Valley, said he believed the surveys and testing would cost over $1 million annually and quickly put him out of business, and private trout growers throughout the state -- from Mt. Lassen Trout Farms in Red Bluff to Alpers Ranch in Lee Vining to Jess Ranch in Hesperia -- are all concerned the costs with complying the DFG’s ill-conceived EIR will also put them out of business.

If they don’t close up shop, the cost of hatchery fish will increase so much that most anglers will simply not be able to afford to catch stocked trout or catfish at the popular private lakes, and the volume of fish planted at many public facilities (county and city park lakes) would decline or simply disappear. For example, the catfish plants funded by the DFG at many park lakes during the summer are all produced in private facilities that are likely to close.

Elliott and other private lake operators, hatchery owners, and individual anglers are supporting a lawsuit that has been filed against the DFG’s hatchery EIR in hopes of saving their businesses and these popular fishing programs. Anglers can get more information and become involved by joining the new group, California Association of Recreational Fishing (CARF). The web site is www.savecalfishing.org (http://www.savecalfishing.org/).

Final approval of the state’s EIR goes before the state Fish and Game Commission for discussion on Nov. 18 and then possibly adopted Dec. 16, but the Commission could delay adoption pending the outcome of the CARF lawsuit and the lawsuit against the EIR by the original litigants who sued the DFG to get the EIR prepared and new environmental protections in place (they say the EIR is flawed, too, and have sued again).

If the final EIR is adopted by the Fish and Game Commission, and the lawsuits fail to get any modifications of the EIR, owners of privately stocked lakes and hatchery operators would need apply for stocking permits and renew them annually. They would have to provide evidence that the fish are free of disease each year, and test for invasive species quarterly. They would also have to conduct research to prove no endangered or “decision species” are present. If any of these species are present, there are only three options: Don’t stock, prove stocking will not harm the species, or prove the stocking improves things for the endangered or decision species.

All of this work will have to be done by a certified, non-DFG biologist. Since there is no certification process in place, it is likely that if the regulations are adopted, private growers would not even be able to find someone to do the work, even if they could afford it. That would mean shutting down the facility until the DFG sets up a certification process and private biologists go through the training to become certified. This alone is likely to be a two or three-year process. The result: hatchery businesses would disappear and private stocking programs would become extinct.

The simple question to ask the DFG: Is this by design or incompetence?

Thisfool
11-04-2010, 08:00 PM
if i had the money i would join right now this is 100% grade A BS. sounds like a 5 year old who just got introuble and is trying to lessin his punishment by selling out his little brother "but he did it to".

aww man im pissed.

Marley
11-04-2010, 08:54 PM
All of this coming to a state that just elected who? Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.
A sad aspect of this whole thing is that the cretins who filed the lawsuit and their ilk could not care less about the fish.
Go get 'em, Doug!

wulfman
11-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Ok i tend to like half of what their trying to do the other is just green peace bull! I'm all for making sure the fish are clean and making sure the fish don't transfer diseases from lake to lake or hatchery to lake or lake to boat or however the disease or parasites or shellfish travel. but i don't know bout that second part of worryin bout testing a lake and doing studies on the natural habitat or whatever they want to call it. That's a bunch a crap. Testing the fish and making sure the boats are clean are good enough, especially if it's a private lake that doesn't feed any other lake/lakes.

Troutman65
11-04-2010, 09:35 PM
It's almost time for a Revolution in this country of ours.

Thisfool
11-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Ok i tend to like half of what their trying to do the other is just green peace bull! I'm all for making sure the fish are clean and making sure the fish don't transfer diseases from lake to lake or hatchery to lake or lake to boat or however the disease or parasites or shellfish travel. but i don't know bout that second part of worryin bout testing a lake and doing studies on the natural habitat or whatever they want to call it. That's a bunch a crap. Testing the fish and making sure the boats are clean are good enough, especially if it's a private lake that doesn't feed any other lake/lakes.

yea the studies of the natural habitat is retarded in sothern california there is no natural habitat every thing is man made as far as lakes go. WTF

Thisfool
11-04-2010, 09:45 PM

im with you. BPS is have a nice fall sale on some sweet riffles and hand guns lets load up on hallow- points and get some things done

smokehound
11-04-2010, 10:02 PM
I blame the children of the baby-boomers (my generation)

People my age generally tend to be very VERY stupid.

Thisfool
11-04-2010, 10:08 PM

yes i blame you also lol just kidding. but really though i have noticed much of the baby-boomers children have there heads deep in there own arse and just continue to do things that make no since. it seems they have good intentions but dont think logicly about what actual effects will be.

Marley
11-05-2010, 09:03 AM

They're not stupid, they were just indoctrinated by an establishment mentality that all things profit-driven (i.e. the business of hatcheries) are bad and all things government are good. People are so far disconnected from what the environment really is, what it does and how we effect it that anything that sounds scientific seems to them to be good as gold. Unfortunately, all too often that "science" is supported by bad or fabricated data or worse, emotion. The fact that many people like the taste fish and we have to kill it to eat it flies in the face of the emtional reality of some kid who has been taught that the fish sticks for Lent are actually cut-up-and-fried Nemo. Don't even try to convince him that Bambi...okay, that's a bit off topic.
In the case of all these lakes and reservoirs, there is concern that planted fish will disrupt the natural environment and its food chain. Excuse me, but that giant wall we call a dam created an environment that allowed an ecosystem to develop and thrive not only in the water, but on and around it. If planting fish in it were going to destroy something, it would have been early in the history of a fish planting program and not now, decades later. That an endangered species exists at all alongside alien species introduced into that environment is testament to the fact that they can and do co-exist.
Maybe apathetic is a better word. But not stupid. Okay, maybe a little stupid.
Dammit, now I need to kill something. Look out Irvine Lake, here I come!

Cameron
11-05-2010, 11:36 AM

im not even sure its ours anymore but I agree.:EyePop:

brycek1984
11-05-2010, 12:06 PM
im not even sure its ours anymore but I agree.:EyePop:

Haha, very funny.

smokehound
11-05-2010, 09:17 PM
yes i blame you also lol just kidding. but really though i have noticed much of the baby-boomers children have there heads deep in there own arse and just continue to do things that make no since. it seems they have good intentions but dont think logicly about what actual effects will be.Like all those guys wearing Obama shirts that thought they inherited america? :LOL: :LOL:

troutdog
11-10-2010, 11:06 AM
This is pretty darn scary...what the heck is next?

TD

dgfishin
11-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Sound like ,if you become a biologist you could have the lake for you and your inspection team for that time period it takes you to complete the tests. LOL

BucketHead
11-29-2010, 10:40 AM
It's time for the fishing community to start rubbing elbows with some millionaires even billionaires to set up a foundation that gives grant money to the fishermans causes. Extreme Environmental Groups (EEG's) have said monies available and new foundations are built daily with this grant money. EEG money/influence has stacked the deck in their favor. Within the governing agencies affecting our fisheries, seats can be bought. Most of us here will talk smack but take no action. This is not meant to offend, but is a common truth of human nature that can be changed. Join a club that is truly active in the process of defending our 'Right to Fish". Support that club and stay informed. "Live on your knees, or Die on your feet". Get involved.

fishinglakes.com
12-03-2010, 12:30 PM
http://www.fishinglakes.com/CARF-LOGO.jpg

http://www.savecalfishing.org

Please visit the above link if you would like to learn more and get involved before it is too late!!

trail blazer
12-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Quit it SMOKE,,,,,,Its not yr fault or mine,,SAME GENERATION>,,,,,,Its just TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT!

Nothing like this is happening in TEXAS!,,LOL