PDA

View Full Version : Epic day at the beach...11/3...w/pics

murrieta angler
11-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Carlos and myself went out yesterday for a day of surf fishing. We started in San Clemente and ended up in San Onofre.

We arrived at just after 6:00a.m. with 62 degree weather, 4-5 surf, 3-4 foot swells, winds at 10 mph flowing offshore (Sanat Ana's) and water temp at 65-67 degrees. When we left the air temp was 81 degrees at 6:00 p.m....:Smile: and all the predicted reports were right on!`

The morning was pretty much a bust with not 1 fish caught, even though the birds were all over bait fish well within casting distance...:Neutral: We left our first 3 spots 4 1/2 hours after we arrived, went to Carls Jr for a bite than hit up San Onofre for the afternoon session. This is when I started taking pictures...

Upon arrival at one of the trails at the campgrounds I took a few shots of the receding tide, which was going to be a -0.78 at 2:12 p.m.
We fished for about 3 hours and Carlos managed to produce a 8" BSP using a piece of mussel on a c-rig. I was still stinking up the joint...:Skunk:
It was around 3:00 and said to Carlos lets head back towards the truck and try a spot I saw earlier and see if it would produce now that the low tide was getting behind us, definately the right call...:Wink:
About 15 minutes into the new spot I get hooked up to my PB Barred Surf Perch at 10 1/2 inches...:Smile: I didn't take a picture of it, sorry. Another 15 minutes goes by and I am now chest high in the water. I start to notice that the water temp drops about 3-5degrees and all of a sudden some fish start to jump out of the water. I give Carlos a shout and he thinks they are Mullet, who am I to argue, I'm color blind...:LOL:
I tell Carlos to come over to my spot when all of a sudden I get hit..HARD! It takes about 20-30 yards of line and I realize that my drag is real loose. I try to tighten the drag a bit (I know, I know), it's too late now. I start to reel in a little bit but the fish starts pulling drag again when suddenly.....my line goes limp...:Surprised: I reel my LC 110 in MS Sardine and one of the hooks is almost completely straight...:Shocked:
My blood is flowing, Big Time, and by this point Carlos is now about 10-15 feet away from me. Another 10 minutes goes by and I get hit again:Smile: It's not the same as the first fish, I know the feel of this one with it's tell tale headshake...yup, I hooked a short Halibut, about 14-16 inches in length. No picture as the camera was on shore, about 30 feet away. I inform Carlos to reel his LC in all the way, till it's about a foot away from the tip of the rod cause the Halibuts will follow that far.

It's now after 4:00 and my adrenaline is still pumping when, BAMMMM!!! My rod gets bent again and it's peeling drag nicely, drag set perfectly this time, it takes off for about 3-4 seconds when I manage to turn its head around and gain back some line. After a few minutes I land my first ever WSB from the surf or anywhere for that fact...:Big Grin: It taped out at 24" and was a beautiful sight...Thank You Lord!
When I was done taking pictures I noticed that the fish kinda smelled upon further examination I notice that there is some mono wrappped around the fish and cutting into it. I removed it, put it back in the water and hope it will not die due to the injury.
If you look at the picture where I'm holding the fish you can see the indentation in the fish right where my fingers are.
Back to adventure. I was now hoping that Carlos was going to get in on the fun. I was telling him where to cast when after a few minutes I look at him and his eyes are popping and he is smiling...:Shocked:...:Smile:
He pulled in his first ever Halibut from the surf and it taped out at 16 1/2 inches. I asked him where he hooked up and he said about a foot from him...:Wink:
GREAT JOB ON YOUR FIRST HALI CARLOS!...now get your legal...hehe

It's now about 5:00 and we are thinking about calling it a day when I get hit again.........HOOK UP!!
It's another WSB and now I'm an old pro bringing them in...:Rolls Eyes:
It takes me a couple of minutes to land him and that one measured out at 23 inches. WHEW!!!

This was just an absolutely great day in the water and one I will never forget. I had good company and memories that will last my lifetime.

Take Care & God Bless,
Robert
<><

Here are the pics;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/CF6897D8.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/6B83C95D.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/8E7C5F9.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/F128E852.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/2BC4347C.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/85FC124D.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/69C9BEA-1.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/F92A61BE.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/3BA6782B.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/5A962E71.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/17883C30.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/21F743A6.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/49369E55.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/D9B8936F-1.jpg

sorry the WSB pics are out of sequence....:Smile:

bones
11-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow.....What a day for you Robert and Carlos! Those juvi WSB always hit hard and you usually get a couple of runs out of them unlike the bigger models which are refered to as one run wonders. Sometimes you get a second run when they see the boat though. Congrats to the both of you on your "new species" day!
I havn't fished S.O. before but that structure in your pics looks just like my kinda place. I'll have to make a run down there soon for sure. I think the recent swell has stirred them up boyz.......WSB are running the surf in SMB too and even up north in ventura and SB. Squid boats are up close in SMB also and you know what that meens!

Thanks for the report!

NachoFish
11-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Very cool Robert. I've always wanted to fish Onofre. Looks like a great day in the water!

Donna

City Dad
11-04-2010, 12:12 PM
wow, nice!

Swank909
11-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Wooooo Way to go Robert!!!! New species for you and Carlos! Wish I could of made it :(

Fire Ball
11-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Congrats on both of the WSB! Too bad you had a bigger fish bend your hook out though! Congrats to Carlos too on his first hali. I still need to get my first one. :LOL:

Wingnut
11-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Outstanding! Great job and congrats on the PB's and new species. :Big Grin:
A day to remember for sure! Looks like the WSB is running... swells are up a bit, but looks like it's time to pound the surf. :Twisted:

E.A.R.G.
11-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Sweet deal RObert!
I got to join you on one of your surf excursions!

cjmedina
11-04-2010, 09:21 PM
awesome and epic day for sure robert

Jaysuuun
11-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Congrats on the epic outing Robert. Those are some quality fish!

flyngby
11-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Robert,

Glad to see you persistence hitting the surf has payed its dividends! You have payed your dues and deserved this break out "Epic Day!" :Applause:

2 WSB in the Surf in 1 day is not common even amongst the best Surfers! :Beer Toast:

Look at you now! Recognizing potential hot spots and hitting them at the right time! And paying it forward to help Carlos get his first Flattie! Hmmmmmm! :Thumbs Up:

Look forward to the next report of you with a Legal WSB and Carlos with a legal Flattie! :Big Smile:

Steve

Those negative low tides give us a great peak at the structure when the area floods!!

murrieta angler
11-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Wow.....What a day for you Robert and Carlos! Those juvi WSB always hit hard and you usually get a couple of runs out of them unlike the bigger models which are refered to as one run wonders. Sometimes you get a second run when they see the boat though. Congrats to the both of you on your "new species" day!
I havn't fished S.O. before but that structure in your pics looks just like my kinda place. I'll have to make a run down there soon for sure. I think the recent swell has stirred them up boyz.......WSB are running the surf in SMB too and even up north in ventura and SB. Squid boats are up close in SMB also and you know what that meens!

Thanks for the report!

Thanks for the read Mike,
We both need to head out and get our legals.
Robert

murrieta angler
11-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Very cool Robert. I've always wanted to fish Onofre. Looks like a great day in the water!

Donna

If you want to head down there Donna just PM me and I'll give you the spot. Or you can meet me down there. Your choice.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-04-2010, 10:43 PM
wow, nice!

Thanks City Dad.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Wooooo Way to go Robert!!!! New species for you and Carlos! Wish I could of made it :(

Too bad you couldn't make it Dan, you would have had a blast.
Next time though Bro,
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Congrats on both of the WSB! Too bad you had a bigger fish bend your hook out though! Congrats to Carlos too on his first hali. I still need to get my first one. :LOL:

It's alright about the bigger one cause I know where he's at...lol
Take Care,
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Outstanding! Great job and congrats on the PB's and new species. :Big Grin:
A day to remember for sure! Looks like the WSB is running... swells are up a bit, but looks like it's time to pound the surf. :Twisted:

I will be out there again real soon Arthur.
Why don't you and Mike head down this weekend?!
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Sweet deal RObert!
I got to join you on one of your surf excursions!

Thanks Eric, I enjoyed every minute of it.
Robert
<><

Swank909
Too bad you couldn't make it Dan, you would have had a blast.
Next time though Bro,
Robert
<><

Yea no joke :( Looks like I wont be hitting up the moomoo tmw either. I'll be hitting up NPH in the evening though :P

murrieta angler
awesome and epic day for sure robert

One of many Carlos, one of many!
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Congrats on the epic outing Robert. Those are some quality fish!

Thanks Jaysuuun,
You and Tess need to hit it up down there.
Robert
<><

loungingtoad
11-04-2010, 10:51 PM
awsome. seabass from the surf!

murrieta angler
11-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Robert,

Glad to see you persistence hitting the surf has payed its dividends! You have payed your dues and deserved this break out "Epic Day!" :Applause:

2 WSB in the Surf in 1 day is not common even amongst the best Surfers! :Beer Toast:

Look at you now! Recognizing potential hot spots and hitting them at the right time! And paying it forward to help Carlos get his first Flattie! Hmmmmmm! :Thumbs Up:

Look forward to the next report of you with a Legal WSB and Carlos with a legal Flattie! :Big Smile:

Steve

Those negative low tides give us a great peak at the structure when the area floods!!

Thanks Steve,
I am definately looking forward to my next venture out in the surf, especially now that I have a couple of good spots to check out.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Yea no joke :( Looks like I wont be hitting up the moomoo tmw either. I'll be hitting up NPH in the evening though :P

Hold on to your cash and jump on the Traditon for the 2 fer 1 Tuesdays. I'm gonna be going either this coming or the following.
It's gonna be one of my birthday presents to myself.
Let me know,
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-04-2010, 10:55 PM
awsome. seabass from the surf!

Thanks Toad,
Like Bones wrote, they are out there right now and on the chew.
Robert
<><

Fat Tony
11-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Great job you guys nice lookin fish...

blackwater
11-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Very nice session Robert, now go get yourself a legal buddy. :Big Grin:

Phuong

murrieta angler
11-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Great job you guys nice lookin fish...

Thanks Tony,
Hey Bro, I forgot your friends name from Zuma. Could you give it to me?
Thanks,
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Very nice session Robert, now go get yourself a legal buddy. :Big Grin:

Phuong

Hey Phuong,
How's your ankle Bro.
Hope it is healing well.
The WSB are calling your name.........phuong......phuong.....lol
I might hit up the area again this afternoon.
Take Care & Get Better,
Robert,
<><

brycek1984
11-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Very cool. Now I want to go surf fishing.

murrieta angler
11-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Very cool. Now I want to go surf fishing.

Thanks Bryce,
They are definately out there right now.
The bait barges have fresh squid also, up in Long Beach, right now.
Head Out Bro,
Robert
<><

TroutOnly
11-05-2010, 07:00 PM
great job report,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fish_sauce
11-05-2010, 09:16 PM
How could i have missed this report last night?! Hmmm...

Great job on the WSB's on the surf Robert and Carlos! Congrats on a successful outting!

Andrew

Native Gal
11-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Congrats on the WSB "Six-pack", ummm! I mean MA.
Go for the 2010 legal, my bet is on you. Congrats Gents on an xlnt epic outing.

NG

murrieta angler
11-08-2010, 05:07 PM
great job report,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks T/O,
I had a blast catching them.

Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-08-2010, 05:08 PM
How could i have missed this report last night?! Hmmm...

Great job on the WSB's on the surf Robert and Carlos! Congrats on a successful outting!

Andrew

Hey Andrew,
Thanks, I ended up going again on Saturday, but no luck with the WSB. I did get my PB Hali though.
Take Care,
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Congrats on the WSB "Six-pack", ummm! I mean MA.
Go for the 2010 legal, my bet is on you. Congrats Gents on an xlnt epic outing.

NG

Thank You Marguerite.
How's your leg doing?
I'll never surpass Wingnut from the surf, but I will try though...hehe

Take Care,
Robert

fishshep
11-08-2010, 07:54 PM
:Shocked: Great catching !!!
MAN !!! I would of been yellin THANK YOU JESUS !!!
For anice WSB Dinner :Wink::LOL::LOL:

keepemlo
11-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Well that's pro fish in there ,wings right that is a nice looking spot,catch or no catch,god sure knows how to create beautiful things ,nice job can't wait for the weekend .god bless

murrieta angler
11-09-2010, 03:07 PM
:Shocked: Great catching !!!
MAN !!! I would of been yellin THANK YOU JESUS !!!
For anice WSB Dinner :Wink::LOL::LOL:

Oh yeah I was elated to say the least.
I've only kept one fish since I started surf fishing.
Take Care Bro,
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Well that's pro fish in there ,wings right that is a nice looking spot,catch or no catch,god sure knows how to create beautiful things ,nice job can't wait for the weekend .god bless

Amen Brother,
I hope it is a beautiful weekend as well.
Robert
<><

lovefofish
11-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Nice, Cant wait to hit it thursday.

murrieta angler
11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Nice, Cant wait to hit it thursday.

How'd you do on Veterans Day?

Robert
<><

klocked
11-29-2010, 08:20 PM
:EyePop: Holy WSB! :EyePop: Great job on that!! you must of been so stoked lol!
Good job Robert, you too Carlos!

murrieta angler
12-02-2010, 01:53 PM
:EyePop: Holy WSB! :EyePop: Great job on that!! you must of been so stoked lol!
Good job Robert, you too Carlos!

Thanks John,
I had another WSB, but it bent my hook straight out and booked it!
The woulda, coulda, shoulda kind of fish, you know?!?
Later Bro,
Robert