PDA

View Full Version : Which paid lake is best for taking a group of teens for first time trip?

CRESTLINER16
11-02-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has some thoughts as to where is the best place to take about 5 to 8 kids (teenager) for their first fishing trip this time of year?

I thought about the paid lakes like Irvine or Corona, If that's the case which is the BEST LAKE for first timers? Ideally it would be a bit scenic as well if the fishing is slow.

or the rivers like the San Gabriels after a stocking?

or do you think a 1/2 day boat for rockfish?

or is there still anything to catch from the piers this time of year?

I just want them to have a good experience fishing and hopefully some catching. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

thanks much ,
Byron

smken59
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
irvine is great for catching fish and walking around

Marley
11-02-2010, 12:45 PM
First time fishing experience with those options? Half-day out of Davey's Locker (NOT Newport Landing) or Dana Wharf. 3/4 day would be even better, great bonito action right now and a shot at something that will leave them salivating. It will be much easier to put them on fish on the ocean than it will at any lake, pay or not.

troutguy26
11-02-2010, 01:00 PM
id say either santa ana or irvine..not corona...corona seems like its for better anglers with more experience..not to much shore fishing unless u wanna rent a boat..and its expensive and also will have to get there really early for a shore spot! ur call..ha

troutdog
11-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Pier fishing can be hit or miss at best, mostly miss and little chance of anything outside of mackerel, tomcod or perch.

A 1/2 day boat is a great experience, nothing like being out on the ocean. Just keep in mind this is going to run you about $40 per person not including food, drinks, fish cleaning and tip so $55-$60 a head and that doesn't account for tackle rental if needed.

Personally I think your best bet is Irvine Lake, stocking will be heavy to get the trout season started....admission is $22 per person and rod rentals(if needed) are only $10. You could rent a pontoon($150) and everyone can get to be captain for a bit or just shore fish and when they get antsy be able to take a long walk/hike around the lake and a chance a seeing some wild life. I've seen eveything from deer, coyote, rabbit, fox, raccoons and countless birds including bald eagles.

Whatever your choice have fun and be sure to post a report!

TD

Hook, Line & Sinker
11-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Depending on their age (you say teenagers) irvine also has a "kids lagoon" that does not cost extra to fish in. I gives the kids a better chance of catching a fish, then after getting them excited you can move over to the big lake and see what it has to offer. Its close yet secluded and scenic enough to feel like your far away.

sgtskunk
11-02-2010, 10:46 PM
depending on how far you are willing to travel I would suggest Jess Ranch in apple valley. I go to Corona/Santa Ana and Irvine countless times during trout season. but when I have friends come out with me that have never fished I take them to Jess Ranch. All you will need is nightcrawlers #4 test or less and some 1/4oz or less sinkers. It never fails I get my friends on catfish/LMB/big blue gills and trout. You can walk all the way around both lakes (more like ponds) and if all else fails they have a small pond full of trout that you get to pull one fish out to kick the skunk. To top it off it's cheaper than all the pay lakes and always has less people. Good luck and give us a post.

TaperSteve
11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I would highly recommend going to the Vine and renting a pontoon.

Good luck out there! Hope everyone has a great time!

TS

troutguy26
11-03-2010, 11:44 AM
depending on how far you are willing to travel I would suggest Jess Ranch in apple valley. I go to Corona/Santa Ana and Irvine countless times during trout season. but when I have friends come out with me that have never fished I take them to Jess Ranch. All you will need is nightcrawlers #4 test or less and some 1/4oz or less sinkers. It never fails I get my friends on catfish/LMB/big blue gills and trout. You can walk all the way around both lakes (more like ponds) and if all else fails they have a small pond full of trout that you get to pull one fish out to kick the skunk. To top it off it's cheaper than all the pay lakes and always has less people. Good luck and give us a post.

thats a good suggestion! i love that place

CRESTLINER16
11-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all your insight and suggestions. The kids are the youth group at my church. they really want to go fishing and I want their first experience to be a good one. Still in the process of planning it. will definitely post a report when we get to go. THANK again!!

TaperSteve
11-03-2010, 01:15 PM
We'll look foward to your Report!!!

TS

MAVERICK27
11-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Let me know where you decide and i'll try and help. PM me about it. I am working on getting a group together from my church as well (Saddleback). I have a boat, but probably for maybe three people. I'd come adn help on shore or pontoon for sure. I can bring some rods, holders, tackle, etc