PDA

View Full Version : Sarl?

Trout Doctor
11-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm thinking about going for the evening session tonight but haven't seen any reports recently. Are the trout starting to pick-up, or are catfish still the best target? Or are we at a lull between shifting gears where everything's slowed down?

And any tips about this lake in general would be great. I've been there six times and only caught two fish (including a 24 hour skunkfest with my brother a few weeks ago). It's not the lake, it's us... we readily admit we have no clue what we're doing :Big Grin:

I use a carolina rig, most often with nightcrawlers, but I've tried everything in that bait shop. Maybe I just need to move. I tend to post up on the same shore (right hand side when leaving the tackle shop, so west shore of the main lake I guess).

Marley
11-02-2010, 12:40 PM
You have to move around until you find a spot that works for you. Try the Pumphouse, La Palma Point, Sandy Beach, Levitz, Three Pipes. All popular spots that you will have to just about race to get, but there's a reason for that...
A huge poblem for fishermen at SARL is that the lake is absolutely plugged solid with shad and tilapia minnows, both of which the trout and catfish gorge on. Whn they're full of natural forage they aren't likely to hit a poorly-presented bait. First rule for bait at SARL is to ignore the Crave/Nitro/whatever-they're-calling-that-crap-now stuff. It does not work, never has. If your favorite bait come out of a jar, make it Powerbait. Second rule is fish worms. Half a nightcrawler, blown up and fished 16" off the bottom. If you smoke, use a scent mask. Garlic is great and oddly enough, Nitro garlic is a good one. If fishing for trout, you're probably throwing over them. They cruise clsoe to the shoreline. When I shore it, I always fish one rod out a fair distance, and my second no more than 20 honest feet off the beach. Those fish spent their entire lives in six feet of raceway and most will stay right there when planted. Find 6-12 feet of water and hold on.
Hope that helps, good luck!

Trout Doctor
11-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks! I have no idea where any of those spots you mentioned are, but that's ok. Perhaps finding a good spot is half the fun. And I'm not much of a racer anyway, haha. Distance from shore is definitely one thing I've been trying to gauge, so thanks for the tip there.

Redside
11-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Look at the SARL website, they have a map that I think shows some of the spots. www.fishinglakes.com

BufordT9
11-02-2010, 09:37 PM
What kind of rod and reels are you using? Are they meant for light, med, or heavy tackle? What LB test line? Powerbait has always worked for me there, Rainbow, Chartreuse, and Garlic. Use a scent too, it will make your bait stand out.

Trout Doctor
11-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I use 4 lb test line for trout, and I have no clue what my rod is meant for. I'd guess medium. And I have some garlic spray that I spray all over the worms I use.

Smells delicious, haha

Roundabout
11-03-2010, 05:56 PM
If I were you I would fish the small pond behind the big lake its called chris pond fish facing the freeway in between the concrete slab and the discharge pipe and cast out as far as you can because its still kinda hot down there and the fish should be deep as the temps cool off try casting shallower any off the baits mentioned will work good luck