PDA

View Full Version : Lagoon bite goes off!

Ffejrobins30
11-01-2010, 10:38 PM
I hit the lake tonight for about an hour and a half. Line in the water at 5:45 pm, first fish at 6:00. She weighed in at 4.8 lbs. After that, the bite went nuts. I landed 4 more fish in the next hour, altogether totaling 12.2 lbs. Not a bad way to spend an hour and a half...I'll see about posting the pics tomorrow.

Fire Ball
11-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Very nice Jeff! I was thinking about going tomorrow night since I didn't go over the weekend in the tube or boat. If you are going tomorrow too, let me know.

Kilo818
11-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Very nice Jeff! I was thinking about going tomorrow night since I didn't go over the weekend in the tube or boat. If you are going tomorrow too, let me know.
fireball if ur going let me know ill join u

Ray Lopez
11-02-2010, 08:30 AM
lol Good timing. I was actually planning on hitting the early evening to the wee hours night tonight with my buddy Dan.

bendo_dreams
11-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Good job on the bass. I went last Saturday night and the lake was empty...it was kind of scary....so I left. There was only one other car in the lot and the big light overlooking the pier was dead!!!

Icarus
11-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I hit the lake tonight for about an hour and a half. Line in the water at 5:45 pm, first fish at 6:00. She weighed in at 4.8 lbs. After that, the bite went nuts. I landed 4 more fish in the next hour, altogether totaling 12.2 lbs. Not a bad way to spend an hour and a half...I'll see about posting the pics tomorrow.

Nice job! I've been wanting to head back up there for a night session. I've only gone once with no success. What were you using?

Liteweight
11-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Nice going for a short trip.
Just might have to take out the tube tomorrow!
Thanks for the post.
LW.

jomama29
11-03-2010, 02:08 PM
hey guys, a total noob here reading and absorbing (trying to, at least). i moved to LA back in september and got bit by the fishing bug around that time. in fact, the last thing i did before starting my cross country drive was hit a small pond with a buddy behind his house in NJ. i landed a tiny bass, and that's where the itch started. so during my x-country drive, i came across the idea of buying a rod/reel/lures and fishing random ponds that i might come across. swung by a bass pro shop, picked up a pfleuger combo, and fished a couple of times, but didn't catch anything.
now that i'm settled in LA, i'm looking to get out and fish more regularly. picked up a couple of more pfleuger combos on sale at sports chalet this past weekend for $20 each - granted, they're the lady's pink ones, but who cares...and my wife wants to fish too)!
so now i have a couple of questions:

1) are licenses purchased only by day/2-day and calendar year? there are only a few weekends left in the year and i didn't want to drop the $45 for a licenses for 8 weekends, a few of which are holidays. so is getting the daily license the way to go?
2) with regards to castaic - i read that the 24hr fishing spot has free parking. if i plan on fishing w/o a boat, and show up there before the park opens, can i park there, fish there, and leave my car in that lot even after the park opens up? and is the distance from the 24hr spot to the rock piles by the dam walkable?

any help would be greatly appreciated! and any suggestions would be appreciated as well! my plan is to get out there, fish some plastic worms (texas rigged and drop shot), swimbaits (still doing my research on those), and some crankbaits as well, and hopefully figure out what works and what doesn't.

Fire Ball
11-03-2010, 02:44 PM
fireball if ur going let me know ill join u
Sorry, I didn't see this until just now. :S

hey guys, a total noob here reading and absorbing (trying to, at least). i moved to LA back in september and got bit by the fishing bug around that time. in fact, the last thing i did before starting my cross country drive was hit a small pond with a buddy behind his house in NJ. i landed a tiny bass, and that's where the itch started. so during my x-country drive, i came across the idea of buying a rod/reel/lures and fishing random ponds that i might come across. swung by a bass pro shop, picked up a pfleuger combo, and fished a couple of times, but didn't catch anything.
now that i'm settled in LA, i'm looking to get out and fish more regularly. picked up a couple of more pfleuger combos on sale at sports chalet this past weekend for $20 each - granted, they're the lady's pink ones, but who cares...and my wife wants to fish too)!
so now i have a couple of questions:

1) are licenses purchased only by day/2-day and calendar year? there are only a few weekends left in the year and i didn't want to drop the $45 for a licenses for 8 weekends, a few of which are holidays. so is getting the daily license the way to go?
2) with regards to castaic - i read that the 24hr fishing spot has free parking. if i plan on fishing w/o a boat, and show up there before the park opens, can i park there, fish there, and leave my car in that lot even after the park opens up? and is the distance from the 24hr spot to the rock piles by the dam walkable?

any help would be greatly appreciated! and any suggestions would be appreciated as well! my plan is to get out there, fish some plastic worms (texas rigged and drop shot), swimbaits (still doing my research on those), and some crankbaits as well, and hopefully figure out what works and what doesn't.
How much are you going to fish? If you plan on fishing more than a couple times, definitely get the yearly license and then just buy a new one next year too. If you go to the Lagoon before they open, they will put a notice on your car, so you will have to pay unless you want them to mail a ticket to you. :Rolls Eyes: Anywhere on the East side is walkable from the 24 hour lot.

jomama29
11-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Sorry, I didn't see this until just now. :S

How much are you going to fish? If you plan on fishing more than a couple times, definitely get the yearly license and then just buy a new one next year too. If you go to the Lagoon before they open, they will put a notice on your car, so you will have to pay unless you want them to mail a ticket to you. :Rolls Eyes: Anywhere on the East side is walkable from the 24 hour lot.

fire ball, thanks for the response! yeah, the whole license thing is tricky, b/c i'm not sure how often i'd go. also, they state that you need to be a cali resident for 6 months to be entitled to the cali resident rate. do they actually check on that? if i can't get cali resident rate yet, i'm prob not going to drop $100+ for 8 weekends of fishing (the daily rates are the same for in-state and out-of-state). if i do get the license, i can see myself driving up there on random weeknights - i'm about 35-40mins south of castaic.
so with regards with parking, once they put the envelope on your car, can you move your car to another lot without paying a second time? just curious as to how that works. also, how early do people show up? and those who show up early - are they shore fishers or people looking to launch/rent boats early? and where do people start lining up to park? for the time being, i'm going to do mostly, if not all, shore fishing, until i figure out the lay of the land. thanks in advance for the help!

Fire Ball
11-03-2010, 11:28 PM
fire ball, thanks for the response! yeah, the whole license thing is tricky, b/c i'm not sure how often i'd go. also, they state that you need to be a cali resident for 6 months to be entitled to the cali resident rate. do they actually check on that? if i can't get cali resident rate yet, i'm prob not going to drop $100+ for 8 weekends of fishing (the daily rates are the same for in-state and out-of-state). if i do get the license, i can see myself driving up there on random weeknights - i'm about 35-40mins south of castaic.
so with regards with parking, once they put the envelope on your car, can you move your car to another lot without paying a second time? just curious as to how that works. also, how early do people show up? and those who show up early - are they shore fishers or people looking to launch/rent boats early? and where do people start lining up to park? for the time being, i'm going to do mostly, if not all, shore fishing, until i figure out the lay of the land. thanks in advance for the help!
They don't know if you have been a resident for 6 months, when you buy it, but I didn't even know you had to for 6 months to get the cheaper rate. I've lived in California my whole life, so I never had to worry about that, haha.

Once you pay for parking for the day, you will be able to park in any of the parking lots at the Lagoon or Upper Lake without any trouble. People really show up whenever they want if they are fishing from shore, since they can park in the 24 hour lot. The some of the guys in the boats show up a little early and wait at the first parking lot to get in to launch their boats, but you won't have to worry about that

Kilo818
11-04-2010, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE=Fire Ball;498343]Sorry, I didn't see this until just now. :S

np fireball next time

jomama29
11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
They don't know if you have been a resident for 6 months, when you buy it, but I didn't even know you had to for 6 months to get the cheaper rate. I've lived in California my whole life, so I never had to worry about that, haha.

Once you pay for parking for the day, you will be able to park in any of the parking lots at the Lagoon or Upper Lake without any trouble. People really show up whenever they want if they are fishing from shore, since they can park in the 24 hour lot. The some of the guys in the boats show up a little early and wait at the first parking lot to get in to launch their boats, but you won't have to worry about that

thanks for the very useful info! i'm going to pick up a license, some more lures, and hit castaic hopefully as soon as late friday evening. either that or i might head up early on saturday and fish until whenever. if any of you are out there, give me a shout - silver acura, VA (soon to be CA) tags. if it's chilly/breezy/rainy out, i'll have a bright orange shell on. hopefully i'll get to meet and fish with some of you at some point in time!

btw, where are some of the better shops for fishing equipment? i live just north of the 10 and just west of the 405, and am starting to realize that anything within a 45 min drive is reasonable to californians. so let me know, and thanks in advance!

LunkerBill
11-04-2010, 02:20 PM
thanks for the very useful info! i'm going to pick up a license, some more lures, and hit castaic hopefully as soon as late friday evening. either that or i might head up early on saturday and fish until whenever. if any of you are out there, give me a shout - silver acura, VA (soon to be CA) tags. if it's chilly/breezy/rainy out, i'll have a bright orange shell on. hopefully i'll get to meet and fish with some of you at some point in time!

btw, where are some of the better shops for fishing equipment? i live just north of the 10 and just west of the 405, and am starting to realize that anything within a 45 min drive is reasonable to californians. so let me know, and thanks in advance!

Well there is Johnnys Sport Shop in Pasadena.Very knowlegable group of guys.Large selection of tackle and gear.Also do rod/reel repairs as well as custom rods.

Fire Ball
11-04-2010, 02:34 PM

Well, decent but really close places (at least for me) are Sport Chalet and Big 5. I've been to Turner's Outdoorsman, Fish N Fools, J&T Tackle, Bob Sands, and Bass Pro Shops which are all further away, but still a reasonable distance, other than Bass Pro Shops. I think I might be forgetting one.. One of my favorite places is Pro Tackle Solutions, which is also real close for me, but it isn't a full-on store, but they have a lot and Wayne, the guy that runs it, knows his products and he is a good guy.

jomama29
11-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Well there is Johnnys Sport Shop in Pasadena.Very knowlegable group of guys.Large selection of tackle and gear.Also do rod/reel repairs as well as custom rods.

Well, decent but really close places (at least for me) are Sport Chalet and Big 5. I've been to Turner's Outdoorsman, Fish N Fools, J&T Tackle, Bob Sands, and Bass Pro Shops which are all further away, but still a reasonable distance, other than Bass Pro Shops. I think I might be forgetting one.. One of my favorite places is Pro Tackle Solutions, which is also real close for me, but it isn't a full-on store, but they have a lot and Wayne, the guy that runs it, knows his products and he is a good guy.

next time i'm out in pasadena, i'll hit up johnny's. more locally, i'll have to swing by sport chalet again, and big 5 too. this weekend will be my first time out in a while, so i'm not gonna try to throw a hundred different lures out. gonna just try to pick up some basic stuff and some tools so i'm not left hanging for one reason or another. good thing is, i recently bought a couple extra rods/reels. gonna spool those babies up with some different test and hopefully throw a few different baits out there - one at a time, of course! :Big Grin:

brycek1984
11-08-2010, 09:26 AM
hey guys, a total noob here reading and absorbing (trying to, at least). i moved to LA back in september .....

Hey jomama