PDA

View Full Version : catfishin at the duct!

Cat Hunter
11-01-2010, 08:41 PM
so me and "pop" hit up the CA aqueduct around 11 and the gates are totally open.
So I rig up the poles and get ready to cast out our 3 poles in the water, two 4/0 octupus hooks and a size 2 pyramid sinker on the bottom to top it off.
So as he sets up the chairs and so, i bait and cast the first pole in a good spot of swirling water, set it down in the pole holder and put a bell on it.
bait and cast out the 2nt pole then set a rod holder in the ground then while im doing that the first pole gets a few taps, so im thinking todays going to be a good day.
so as i get the third pole ready, then the 2nt pole gets hit a few.. im thinking.. maybe a striper going downstream?
so i cast the third pole which has 6 pound test ( i know it sucks for duct' fishing ) and walk back to my chair.
Around 10 minutes past then "BLAMM!" a huge hit on the third pole, i run and i forget to set the hook like a dumbass >.<
Adrenaline pouring through me as my line is going everywhere in the duct and my reel screaming, im thinking to my self, this has to be a PB catfish for the duct, then all of sudden everything stops.. the fish was no longer on it :EyePop:
both bait torn apart so i re-bait and cast it in the same spot hoping for that same fishing.
Around 10 minutes pass then the first pole rings, nothing big though, then the second, the both of them at the same time, then everything drops dead for about an hour.
Finally i got board of waiting so i through on a KPN on my baitcast hoping for a striper ( ive never caught one ) but that too was dead.
As im walking back to switch the lure, i see pop try and set the hook on the first pole, but nothing.
I throw my baitcast down and start to reel in my pole but it gets snagged and i loose it all :Evil:
so i re-rig it then through it back then my pole goes down and hit hard, so this time is set the hook..
FISH ON!
he wasnt my biggest cat ive caught in the duct, prolly around 2 pounds, but really short length wises.
So i unhook him and release him, then we are about to leave then both poles get hit and nothing gets hooked :Explode: and that was the day, got 1 cat and the "chubbs" got away.. next time i return there which hopfully is this weekend or earlier, ill go early in the morning or late at night.. perfect cat time!
Happy hunting guys!

NooB SaBass
11-03-2010, 02:22 PM
My dad loves Catfishing, gotta take him out, what spot where you at?