PDA

View Full Version : King Harbor Bonita 11/1

Deceiver
11-01-2010, 06:26 PM
For anybody interested, the fish are there. Got a good look at at least a couple of shcools of fish. Two grades of fish. One group is mostly smaller stuff, about 10-14". The other larger school is a bigger grade of fish about 16-20". These fish are on the move so you'll need to find them and chase them a little. The bait receiver was not open today, but I think if you have bait you could get the fish to stop. Troll something as you look and be ready so site cast to intercept the fish. Fish are coming up with followers so if you're fishing with a partner be ready.

Ifishtoolittle
11-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the info. Man, now I really wish I could get out there.

Deceiver
11-02-2010, 07:41 AM
It was fun. I read crappiemike's post and it got me interested in checking it out. I know that many out there will want to use the fish for lobster bait...good to know it's available if you need it.

Warm weather headed our way...may turn the bite on even more?

DockRat
11-04-2010, 06:30 AM
It was fun.
I know that many out there will want to use the fish for lobster bait...
Anyone who thinks Bonito is only bait or cat food has never tasted them handled properly.
Try bleeding them and ice. MMMmmm Good !

You can not let them get warm as a gunny sacker 3/4 day boater would do.
Fresh Bonito is the bomb. Fried, Sashimi, or Smoked.

Katsuo Sushi
Bonito is one of the earliest ingredients of the Edo style sushi. They have the highest fat content beginning in fall, which is their season. During the Edo period, it was trendy to eat bonito in the early summer to enjoy the lean taste, and wait for them to become plump during the fall and enjoy them again. This had more to do with enjoying the seasonal changes, but the Edo culture was known for their busy lifestyle, and some other regions in Japan ridiculed them for eating the bonito to early.

Bonito has a very strong blood scent close to meat, and they have to be extra fresh for sushi. The loins are quickly grilled with the skin on, and shocked in ice water to constrict the flesh, which makes the bonito very chunky and favorable. They are accompanied with grated ginger and scallions to neutralize the strong smell.

Complete Tutorial on: How to Make Sushi
Also see: Bonito in Sushi Fish

Popular styles for bonito sushi: Nigiri
Popular condiments for bonito sushi: Shoga, Negi
Category: Red Fish (Akami)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/blackcloud9/Fishing/LJKayakingBonito082408050.jpg

Deceiver
11-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Good bit of info DR. I agree, Bonita make a good eating fish if handled properly as you have noted. I just know that with all the hooping going on right now, the Bones make a good trade for a few lobster!...at least in my kitchen. LOL!