PDA

View Full Version : Trout soup !!!!!!

hooks
11-01-2010, 11:30 AM
The water was 69 degrees on Friday nite. Temps. this week are said to be in the high 90s to 100s. I suspect the water temp will be back up in the 70s for the opener.
This does not bode well for the 20,000 pounds of fish that thrive in 58 degree water.
I hope we don't see a huge number of floating lunkers but I don't see how this can be avoided.
I'm interested to see how all this turns out. :Confused:
tight lines....

Señor.Chilax
11-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't like these news. Be strong fishies! :Sad:

ghost2uu
11-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Trout live in water up to 77 degrees

goodguy
11-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Trout live in water up to 77 degrees

^^^^^THIS^^^ Anything under 75 is just fine for the trout.

jiggaman
11-01-2010, 04:26 PM
for real lol

Hook, Line & Sinker
11-01-2010, 04:38 PM
There are plenty of holdover trout from last season, and we had record breaking heat this year so they will be fine. This is a lake not a bucket like some other places.....

Marley
11-01-2010, 04:50 PM
That's a warm surface temperature but the fish will head for colder climes. Should be good fishing along the west shore, just outside of Woody's and around Berkeley Springs (do they still call it that?) Maybe a slower opener but prolly not. I wish I was going. Good luck to those of you who are!

hooks
11-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Not trying to stir the pot but I copied this from the Vines website;
"Experienced trout anglers know that the key to trout fishing success at
Irvine Lake is to always use ultra-light line. For most bait fishing and
lure casting uses, this means nothing heavier than 4-pound test line,
although trollers can get by with 6-pound line.'
Who writes this crap?
Using nothing heavier then 4 pound and not trolling with anything more then 6 is BS that someone at the Vine has been spouting for years.
I NEVER trout fish with anything less then 6. Further more, I usually troll with 20 pound with "NO" problems.
And they say the water temp is 62 -64 (yeah, right, maybe 20 ft. down it is).
Come on guys their "trout" :Rolls Eyes:

El Capo
11-02-2010, 05:44 AM
Who writes this crap?
Using nothing heavier then 4 pound and not trolling with anything more then 6 is BS that someone at the Vine has been spouting for years.
I NEVER trout fish with anything less then 6. Further more, I usually troll with 20 pound with "NO" problems.

Good luck with those tactics Hooks.

TaperSteve
11-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Hooks why you hating on the Vine?

I thought using 2-4lb line for bait fishing and 4-6lb line for trolling was common knowledge these days. Really 20lb line for trolling? LOL!!! I like alittle fight to my fish. You planning on catching a 50lb trout or something?
Havent you ever heard of drag? and I dont mean the queen.:ROFL:

I personally know a few experienced trollers who have been out there catching holdover trout all summer @ the Vine.

TS

Marley
11-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Who writes this crap?

You're not stirring the pot, you're sloshing it over the sides. I don't know how many times someone has asked me for advice or help and when I look at the heavy line they're fishing with, it almost makes me want to cry. You will NOT be consistently successful when fishing heavy line and for anywhere that fish are pressured, "heavy" means 6 lbs and up if you're fishing bait. Will you catch fish with 6, 8, and 10 pound? On occasion, yes. You will just catch many more (and probably bigger ones) if you use light line, and that means 2-lb, maybe 3-lb. And I have caught trout while trolling with 20-lb. But that is NOT the norm and should not be encouraged for anyone wanting to have a good shot at catching trout on a regular basis.

Thisfool
11-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Who writes this crap?
if your not trying to stir the pot then what are you doing.

are you calling the vine liars or are you saying they don’t know what there talking about. I think it is good advice and it is the same advice that i have been given by many sources not just the Irvine lake website. Any angler you talk to will tell you light line for trout. I’ve know this for years before I even knew Irvine lake existed.

as for the water temp if you don’t believe them why don’t you get out there and take a temp your self.

o by the way did you know they only make updates once a week so chances are that is a week old and the prior two weeks has been cold so i don’t think the temp of 62-64 is off by that much for last week.

Now im not one for believing every thing I hear or read but your taking it to another level come on man.

Bebop
11-02-2010, 07:29 PM
That sounds like ocean fishing not trout fishing. ughhhh. Lite line is the way to go it makes the thrill of catching fish with a fight.

Troutman65
11-02-2010, 09:06 PM
I use 4 lb. test for the local pay lakes . Got tired of getting broke off with the 2 lb. test.

Hitts0n
11-02-2010, 09:12 PM
4lb,6 max !...P-line!

NoHo ART
11-02-2010, 10:04 PM
i troll with 8 -12lb i don't know about 20???
even a broken clock is right twice a day

Marley
11-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I use 4 lb. test for the local pay lakes . Got tired of getting broke off with the 2 lb. test.

4-lb. is doable. You just can't horse those toads on 2-lb. or it's "zing-powee!" for sure.
You gonna be out there this weekend?

Hook, Line & Sinker
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Hooks, I don't know how long you have been fishing, but what they are saying is a good rule of thumb if you want a consistant chance at catching fish..... Have you ever fly fished???? You tip it with generally a 3lb leader, I do try to cheat the "system" and use a heavier line with a 1-2 lb diameter (fireline Or braid), But not this year because even doing that gets less hits, im abiding by the 4lb rule.

Thisfool
11-04-2010, 07:00 PM
i troll with 8 -12lb i don't know about 20???
even a broken clock is right twice a day

lol good point

troutdog
11-06-2010, 04:55 AM
I hope we don't see a huge number of floating lunkers but I don't see how this can be avoided.

I hope this doesn't ruin your day and I hate to confirm your deep seeded fears, but I did indeed see many "floating lunkers" on VIP day....admitedly they all had yellow, green or blue stringers attached to them! :LOL:

I think you just need to go get some of those chunky trout for yourself and put some strain on that 20lb tuna gear you're sportin...oh and you may even find out that you don't have to cull your fish to get a fat limit :Wink:

TD

smokehound
11-06-2010, 06:48 AM
20 pound test for trolling... o_O

Are you serial?

http://i32.tinypic.com/161g84p.jpg

That should be PERFECT for ya, Hooks!

Hitts0n
11-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo!!!!!