PDA

View Full Version : Newport Pier 10-29-10 Fish get revenge

5150fishn
11-01-2010, 10:45 AM
So I head out to Newport Pier friday night at about 9:30 p.m. I show up too cool weather and almost glass like conditions. Very light fishing crowd. I head out and toss out a line and also drop my hoop net. After a hour and a half of skunk, not even a bite and only small rock crabs I pack up my net and head shallow in hopes of changing my luck. As I toss my line in a guy who was snagging for fish hooked a nice croaker. I am not positive but I believe I was told that this was legal if the fish is of legal size. Not sure but I am not a fan of this practice personally. As he brings in his fish I see a monster size bat ray cruising the water just below me. I rig up to toss my line and the snagger drops his line in the water and then heads to the other side of the pier to get water in his bucket for his croaker. The bat ray made another pass and it apparently ran accross his plethora of hooks and got hooked. The next thing I know I watch his rod go sailing over the rail and before he could do anything we watch as his rod and glowsticks go sailing off into the abyss. I laughed and he swore. No more snagging for him on this night.

TaperSteve
11-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Tsss, tsss. tsss. tsss.......

TS

murrieta angler
11-01-2010, 12:58 PM
That's funny!
Thanks

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
11-01-2010, 01:06 PM
snagging is illegal...snag fail, batray win...thanx for the story 5150..brightened my day up..

TFC_arvilJDM
11-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Womp womp womp!

I bet he went back to go snag his pole.

karlkrger
11-02-2010, 11:11 AM
hahahahahaha... that is funny. i always fear that there will be a bite sometime that im not ready for and it will take my pole overboard. lol

Swank909
11-03-2010, 01:39 PM
I cant stand snaggers on piers, they piss me off. Glad he got what he deserved

5150fishn
11-03-2010, 02:04 PM
I cant stand snaggers on piers, they piss me off. Glad he got what he deserved
I hear you. I go down there fairly often to just chill and these snaggers are 8-10 guys deep on the rail pounding on the rails. It is the one thing that takes away the peacefulness of fishing down there. I am going to make a point to call CalTip everytime and hopefully chase them off but these guys usually don't show up until around 10:00 p.m. and I am not sure the chance of actually getting someone to show up but it is worth a shot.

Seņor.Chilax
11-03-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't like snaggers either. Quick story... When I first started fishing I went out to Newport Pier and this young guy between 17-22 years old stops me on the way back to the car(I'm still on the pier) and starts talking to me, asked if I caught anything, which I didn't. And he was like, 'I can show you some stuff'. And then he starts rigging up with a huge treble hook and was like, 'you should try this'. And then he starts snagging away. He was so excited to show me his 'fishing technique'. :ROFL:

calico killer kevin
11-03-2010, 09:10 PM
snagging is illegal...snag fail, batray win...thanx for the story 5150..brightened my day up..
False. Snagging in SW is completely legal.

Wingnut
11-03-2010, 09:59 PM

Sad... but true, snagging is legal in most cases. :Neutral:
Right or wrong, always know the regs. :Wink:

Ifishtoolittle
11-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Ha that's funny. How big was the snagger's set-up? I hope the Ray will be fine.

DockRat
11-04-2010, 06:07 AM
I Love Snagging ! Bait :LOL:

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af63/gahread/Nuclear20Squid2.jpghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k371/CaptSchark/DoubleHeaderSquid001.jpghttp://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq253/Livn4God/2c85b0bd.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/warrent/Montauk%20Squid%20Run%20Feb%202005/DSCN1283.jpg

Pic caption ; Squid Jig on left, WT 16 ounce "Ghetto" jig on right.

5150fishn
11-04-2010, 08:26 AM
I was told this once before which is why I never called them in but now I know. Thanks for the info.

5150fishn
11-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Ha that's funny. How big was the snagger's set-up? I hope the Ray will be fine.
The snagger had a rod that was about 7' and a fairly large bait casting reel with 8-10 large treble hooks. This bat ray looked to be 80-100# so I hope that the rig broke off quickly.

Nessie Hunter
11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
The Saltwater regs are kind of up & down and hard for me to get a handle on...

But!!!!!
Chapter 1
1.05 Angling.
Sort of spells out what Angling is.
Partially says; * in a manner that the fish Voluntarily takes the hook or Lure in its mouth*.
That is what your License is for = Angling.

What I read is that Snagging would be Illegal...?????

There are other regs for so many other types of fishing, Spear, Nets, SCUBA..

The the Gaff regs (28.65 Sub Section (d)) also kind of spell out undersized Gaffing & nets being required etc...
Snag hooking & Gaffing are about the same thing????

I think we need a "Shout Out" on this!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO..

Deceiver
11-04-2010, 10:31 AM
I think snagging is illegal, though as NH points out the regs are a bit difficult to get a handle on. I think that on a species by species basis there MIGHT be some leeway, but I doubt it. Also, the regs do change a little depending on the area you are fishing...North of Point Conception throw nets are legal for example. I have personally witnessed a guy get a citation for snagging smelt that he intended to use for bait in the Long Beach area...I was using a baited Sabiki right next to him and didn't get cited.

The Saltwater regs are kind of up & down and hard for me to get a handle on...

But!!!!!
Chapter 1
1.05 Angling.
Sort of spells out what Angling is.
Partially says; * in a manner that the fish Voluntarily takes the hook or Lure in its mouth*.
That is what your License is for = Angling.

What I read is that Snagging would be Illegal...?????

There are other regs for so many other types of fishing, Spear, Nets, SCUBA..

The the Gaff regs (28.65 Sub Section (d)) also kind of spell out undersized Gaffing & nets being required etc...

I think we need a "Shout Out" on this!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO..

Seņor.Chilax
11-04-2010, 10:49 AM

I don't think gaffing and snagging are in the same category. Usually, when you gaff a fish, the fish took your bait, you fought it, and if it's legal size, you gaff it and bring it on board; that is why a net is required while fishing. Unlike snagging, you don't know what you have, if its legal or not, if you snagged it in it's eye or belly. Legal or not, that's just reckless fishing.

bsp
11-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Snagging is legal in saltwater assuming it's not a striped bass, trout, salmon, or sturgeon and that the fish you are snagging is of legal size with regards to finfish. You are not allowed to catch lobster and crab on hook and line. Like the rule or hate it, people can and will continue to snag and cannot be punished for it.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2010.pdf

Here are the regs. Use the search function and read on "Methods of take" and "snagging" if you want to check it out for yourself.

Wingnut
11-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Snagging is legal in saltwater assuming it's not a striped bass, trout, salmon, or sturgeon and that the fish you are snagging is of legal size with regards to finfish. You are not allowed to catch lobster and crab on hook and line. Like the rule or hate it, people can and will continue to snag and cannot be punished for it.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2010.pdf

Here are the regs. Use the search function and read on "Methods of take" and "snagging" if you want to check it out for yourself.

Thanks Marc, I knew that I could count on you to get the right info. :Cool:
I was told by a DFG official a couple of years ago that snagging is frowned upon in the department, but legal to do. :Neutral: To each his own...

bsp
11-04-2010, 06:37 PM
No worries Arthur, always willing to help out.

Nessie Hunter
11-05-2010, 08:53 AM
I still think we need a "Shout Out"..... LMAO

Re-reading 28.65 General Sub section (d) Gaff's...
I still see that any gaff hook with or without a handle for the purposes of this section...
Can not be used to take undersized or otherwise restricted (out of season, protected etc) fin fish.

I guess the second you snag anything thats not legal at that moment, then it is ILLEGAL..
Snagging is blind & indiscriminate in that you hook anything in your path without regard to size or type...

Gaff & Snag is similar in that you puncture the fish & pretty much its mortally wounded..

Of course its a pretty weak excuse for fishing, but seems to be legal until you snag anything illegal...
Which could be any time.....

I need to Email the question to DFG and see if I get some kind of response..
Im on a mission now!! LOL

Nessie Hunter
11-05-2010, 09:03 AM
OK, I have posed this question to ????
askmarine@dfg.ca.gov <askmarine@dfg.ca.gov>

I hope its the right place..
I will keep ya all posted on the results!!!!!!!!!!

Inquiring minds need to know!!!!!!!!

ramonpaezrrt
11-05-2010, 09:15 AM
yea but it is not fishing, weather it is leagal or not it still is wrong, i think it should be illegal because u dont need very much skill to snag a fish

Nessie Hunter
11-05-2010, 09:53 AM
That was fast !!!!

= = = = = = = = = =
Hello Mr. Catalano,

Snagging fish from the ocean is actually legal according to DFG enforcement, unless the fish being snagged is salmon.

yours,

Mary Patyten

= = = = = = = = = = =

Sad day in water town!!!!!!!!!!!

ramonpaezrrt
11-05-2010, 11:13 AM
fake and gay

Nessie Hunter
11-05-2010, 11:38 AM
And a PS email.....

Hello again Mr. Catalano,

There is one other species of fish that may not be snagged legally in the ocean: sturgeon, per Section 27.90(d). Apologies for any confusion,

yours,

Mary Patyten

????

How about Garibaldi, BSB, just so many issues with snagging that are so wrong IMHO...
Once snagged they are as good as dead...
Stuck just like a Gaff!!! Sad...

5150fishn
11-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Well everyone I believe we have a answer to the legality of snagging. I don't know why this would be legal because I have seen these guys swing on anything that moves and have seen many short fish like leopard sharks, halibut, and even white sea bass belly hooked. The reality of a snagger releasing a short catch is probably not going to happen but if they do then you still have a mortally wounded fish. Just wrong in my book but I am not the law. Thanks to those of you that did the research on this subject.

Johnnyblaze2009
11-05-2010, 12:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxVdaYYvprg

seen this video and thought this is like cheating but how many would do it if presented with the opportunity. I seen a guy in mexico bragging next to a sun fish that he supposedly caught only to find out by a deckhand kid that the guy had shot the fish with a pistol and gaffed him after. As far as the video goes, I didn't think gaffing was legal at first- didn't know much on snagging either- never thought about trying it... rather get skunked than having to cut corners

5150fishn
11-05-2010, 12:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxVdaYYvprg

seen this video and thought this is like cheating but how many would do it if presented with the opportunity. I seen a guy in mexico bragging next to a sun fish that he supposedly caught only to find out by a deckhand kid that the guy had shot the fish with a pistol and gaffed him after. As far as the video goes, I didn't think gaffing was legal at first- didn't know much on snagging either- never thought about trying it... rather get skunked than having to cut corners
I am surprised that he didn't gaff anyone else on the boat the way he was swinging that gaff around. That is one crazy video!