PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mission Viejo 10/29-10/31

Geraldlim
11-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Could not wait to test wits against the catfish again, and try lures for LMB.

Arrived Friday night eager to throw the catfish lines in the water, and the *&#@ dogs took off and disappeared chasing rabbits as soon as I let them out of the car. Spent 30 minutes looking for them. Finally threw my flyline bait out "Kerplooshh" - nice long cast - closed the bail arm and waited in the dark. After an hour of no action I shone the flashlight on the line to check. Guess what? My hook was hanging in the air from the rod tip! The bait had come off the hook during the cast hence the "long cast" LMAO. Rebaited and cast out again. This time made sure the line was actually out there.

Not 10 minutes later, "jingalingaling", then "ZZZzzzz" and I'm on. Decent fight for a few minutes, then I land a 7 pounder. Released it after a photo.

Tried a while longer but no takers. Beautiful clear starry night. Went to bed.

Saturday morning went to the marina at 6am to rent a boat. It was pouring rain. Went out anyway. Trolled and cast a small $2:00 Blaze lipless shad lure. Hooked a few tiny bass and released them Finally hooked a bigger LMB in Market Cove - 14". Took a photo with my I-phone cuz easier to keep dry in the rain than my Canon.
Caught 2 more "decent" (for LMB newbie me) LMB about 14-15". Here's a pic of one:
Quit at 9 to go watch my daughters swim a dual meet at USC

Saturday night fished for cats again. This time caught 3 lost 1. They went 3.5, 2.5 and 5.5 lbs. Took me almost 15 minutes to land the last one, the 5.5lb. It kept burying itself in the thick blanket of weed that covers most of the lake bottom. With 10lb main line it was tough to free it up. When released it did the same thing - went straight into the weed.

Sunday morning same routine. Better weather this time. Tried the bigger saltwater lipless from Blaze. Hooked a couple of small LMB. Watched someone land a nice 5lb LMB at the dam Picked up my wife from the condo dock and trolled some more before switching to 2 lb drop shot rigs for panfish. Picked up a nice 16" LMB - my PB.
All LMB were released. The last 16" was pulled up from 40 feet and I had to retrieve it after releasing to puncture the air bladder before the circling grey heron could get it. I hope it survived.266852668926690

the killa fish taco
11-01-2010, 09:10 AM
nice report! Thank is a cool lake!