PDA

View Full Version : late season trip

bstolton
10-31-2010, 09:32 PM
leaving on friday afternoon for bishop for the weekend. never been to the sierras this late in the year, looks like the weather may be good. thinking about fishing south lake or sabrina, both marinas are closed so shore fishing it is. I have never fished these lakes, I have only hiked out of this area. are the inlets and outlets accessable by trail. any other areas we should try, the loop is my usual area but we didn`t want to venture to far because of limited time.
thanks Bill

fishin fool
10-31-2010, 10:16 PM
At South Lake, the only way to get to the inlets is to follow the Treasure Lake trail and cross country down the left side of Treasure Creek to South Lake It's a lot of effort to get in and out the same day. This was the way it was 45 years ago and to my knowledge, it still is. If anyone else has a better way when the lake is full, I would like to hear it. Sabrina I don't really know about. However, in the late sixties, I hiked across from the Tyee Lakes to George Lake and down to Sabrina. As I remember it, it looked like a difficult climb down to the back of the lake. I've walked to the inlet of Sabrina on opening day many years ago on the ice and it didn't look any better from that angle. I think you would be better off and into bigger fish if you took day trips north of bishop. I was in bishop in the middle of October and did best at Rock Creek Lake. Caught 2 Alpers and some fat holdovers. You have many options from Bishop to get into some nice fish. I might be up there then as well. If I am, I'll go up to Parchers and South Lake as that is like my spiritual home. I learned how to fish in 1955 at Parchers in Bishop Creek. However, I'll focus my fishing elsewhere. In any case, good luck and tight lines.
pcuser

bstolton
11-01-2010, 10:09 PM
ff what area of rock creek lake where you fishing? has anybody been to south or sabrina in the last week or so. also considering convict, I think you can still rent a boat there but if not I believe there is a trail you can hike along and find a good spot.
thanks Bill

fishin fool
11-02-2010, 07:25 AM
I was fishing along the road just to the left of the outlet. I've always done best fishing worms off the surface with a colored bubble so you can see and feel the bite. At Convict, there is a servicable trail at least from the parking lot to the inlet with fishing all along it. I think it continues around the far side of the lake back to the campgrounds. I haven't used it in a while. In any case, good luck and tight lines.
fishin fool

Jimbow
11-02-2010, 08:19 AM
I was up at Sabrina a few weeks back and he lake had been heavily stocked. My wife and I caught and released 15 rainbows before the Sun hit the lake in the morning. Nothing of any real size (12 to 16 inchers) but we were broke off on 2 lbs test a few times and we also saw schools of larger fish circling the damn area. Fishing was great :Cool:

TROUT MASTERS
11-02-2010, 08:37 AM
You can rent the boat,but need to be away from the shore line around 30 feet
they dont let you get the boat on the sand.inlet is you best spot with 2 pound
test,kastmaster ot rooster tail,30-40 feet of water sould able to hook some nice browns
or bows.also try some p/bait.#18-16 t-hook.
Good luck..
TROUT MASTERS :Cool:

bstolton
11-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, still leaning towards bishop creek canyon. convict and rock creek sound like a good backup plan. just need to find some info with maps showing shore access for sabrina and or south lake.

Thanks again Bill