PDA

View Full Version : Best Pier To Fish?

karlkrger
10-31-2010, 05:51 PM
dont really have much luck when it comes to fishing piers. trying to find me a good pier to fish on. i usually fish redondeo but the drive kills me. i live in victorville and that is a far drive. always worth it to fish, but not so easy to get to when money is tight. well anyways, let me know. looking foward to reading these

DockRat
10-31-2010, 06:32 PM
What fish do you like to target ?

Too bad we don't have Salmon like this pic below.

I was reading that the last simular El Nino cold summer like what we just had was followed by Salmon down to OC.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/frogmanjared/salmon.jpg

Caption reads. ' Huge shark caught at Oceanside at the pier a long time ago. '
What kind of Shark is this ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/sajohnson/Thanksgiving%202005/Thanksgiving030.jpg

xjdesertfox
10-31-2010, 06:34 PM
depends what you want to fish for. i have REALLY good luck at port hueneme when going for halis, sharks, and macks. But you dont get the cool fish like you would at say balboa, like calicos, sand bass, bonito

smokehound
10-31-2010, 06:57 PM
You're better off surf fishing.

Bigger fish, and no idiots banging the rails.

You can catch all sorts of fish on the pier, but most of them will be small.

That said, get yourself a sabiki so you can jig up some smelt, and soak some live bait..

Some huge sharks and rays like the piers.

The surfperch bite is off the hook in winter.

karlkrger
10-31-2010, 09:09 PM
dude hell ya.. i got those jigs. me and my buddy have been wanting to go surf fishing.. where should i go for my first time?

smokehound
10-31-2010, 09:39 PM
I like newport. My normal haunt is between 32nd street and 40th.

It's where I first started surf fishing, its great for practicing, because there are usually fish around there.

Get some Gulp! sandworms in camo color, some gulp new penny shrimps, and some Gulp jerk shads.

Drop-shot is great with sandworms.

karlkrger
11-01-2010, 11:09 AM
getting me all excited.. im on vacation from work this week. to bad i dont have any money to go fish. why must the perfect times to fish have to cost me money. everything is either really a drive or it cost to fish the local lakes (mojave narrows) (hesperia) (jess ranch) etc... oh well. next week is for sure fishing. i will find a way. besides they are stocking the trout on the 11th. wooooooowhooooooooo

bayfishingjunkie
11-02-2010, 09:46 AM
My personal fav is Hermosa beach pier.. Get there early jig up some live bait and try for some halibut, if you catch big bait go for the threshers at the end of the pier

karlkrger
11-02-2010, 11:06 AM
ive been hearing really good things about that pier. im going to have to fish it sometime. i think the next time i go fishing, im going to go surf fishing. ive been hearing great things about surf fishing

n1ckxlam
11-02-2010, 09:53 PM
mm any beach really, thats the beauty of it. i know its a hell of a drive just to explore, but sometimes its the search for the honey hole thats makes it sweet. just pack up with your buddies and just go pier hoppin, rock poppin and surf walkin for day. ur bound to find a hole...

long beach, newport, dana for starters.

karlkrger
11-02-2010, 11:03 PM
i always keep my fishing pole in my car because lately everytime i go down the hill to see family or anything else i have try to hit the beach to fish. now im going to go out and do some surf fishing and its going to be even more amazing.

Trout 1
11-02-2010, 11:33 PM
i always keep my fishing pole in my car because lately everytime i go down the hill to see family or anything else i have try to hit the beach to fish. now im going to go out and do some surf fishing and its going to be even more amazing.

Surf fishing is so sick!!!!! its nothing to catch 70 perch in a few hours with two people fishing. Prech is the best thing to start with. I have only been a hand full of times and its always been "WFO"!!!

Andrew

n1ckxlam
11-03-2010, 09:26 AM
karlkrger, thas a dope attitude to have. check your pm

karlkrger
11-03-2010, 10:06 AM
thats the plan.. ill let you know how today goes. im hoping i do get to fish. i got to go to gardenia to take care of businesses for a car accident that i was in. after that ill be free. hopefully my wife is cool with going with me and doesnt want to rush back home