PDA

View Full Version : Duct, Here a DD, There a DD, Everywhere a DD

yolo
10-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Woke up this morning and peeked out and saw the rain is tapering off. Decided to go after the one that got away yesterday. Hit the same spot as yesterday but started off with the Mafia lipless crank for 10 minutes and nothing. Grabbed my other set up with the soft jerkbait on it and was throwing that. First cast nothing. 2nd cast wham, bam, thank you mam. Got hit mid to upper water column and it was on. Another strong fish and ripping my tight drag on the Curado E7. It hit in the same water location that I got yesterday's fish and farmed the other. It is under the buoys again but this one is running even harder than yesterdays and I can't turn it. It gets like 20 yards past the buoys and surfaces and splashes. I can see it's another good one. I have to make my way down gently on the wet duct cement (from the overnight rains) and bury my rod in the water as I lift the buoy line with my other arm and slip the rod under. This thing is now way down flow and tugging really hard. I drop the buoy line and grab the rod with the free hand. I am now out of the snap off zone and the fish is still on. I still can't turn it and it is just going down and down. I chase it down and bring line in at the same time. I get to the next ladder and am able to land it by using the ladder rungs as support and get down to the waters edge and grip it cause the cement is still wet and slippery. I take a quick photo of it and I with my cell phone. Since my tape is now broken on my gripper, I use it as a reference and it is 2 5/8 gripper lengths. The gripper is 12" long so that makes it another 30" to 31" fish but this one was fatter than yesterdays. I immediately release it and it took him 2 seconds to come to and dart off.

Yes another DD. I have not caught so many 30" to 31" fish consistently like the past month. The season is shaping up to be better than last season for me and last season was excellent. I hope it continues.

I walk back to the spot and fish it for another 15 minutes but nothing else. Come home because there is an event we have to go to with the family in a little while.

So I got one yesterday before the storm. I got one today during the storm. Will I get another one tomorrow after the storm??? Wish me luck.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-30-10/Duct10-30-10.jpg

trail blazer
10-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Great job YOLO,,,,,,,,Stay on,m

TRAIL BLAZER

oatums
10-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Nice stripey......looked like fish taco to me ......

M@M
10-30-2010, 10:43 AM
:Envious:Another NICE fish!

kpn
10-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Congrats on another DD Z!
Good luck tomorrow.

Khanh.

novel44
10-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Nice catch.
I finally ordered my set of KPN's yesterday and would love to go with you next time you're out to learn from if you'll have me?...I'm 5 minutes away from one of the access points and any time is good for me....I'll bring the beer and my notepad....

fishinone
10-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Congrats Yolo,

Your really putting it on them.

Good luck today, I guess.

Fishinone

yolo
10-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Went out to one spot for 40 minutes this morning with my 11 year old and nothing.

fishinone
11-01-2010, 07:32 AM
You'll get him on one of those fish soon, then you won,t be able to keep up with him.

DesertFishen3
11-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Nice catch out there Yolo. I have never fished the duct as I am from the palm Springs area so I use the Coachella canal. But I would really like to try the duct out sometime.
I would really like to know where is a good place to start location wise. I am not familiar with the duct but I was thinking around the Phelan area if you think that might produce. Send me a private message if you can and thanx in advance.

HaiTheMeister
11-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Another one? I am jealous!

yolo
11-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Nice catch out there Yolo. I have never fished the duct as I am from the palm Springs area so I use the Coachella canal. But I would really like to try the duct out sometime.
I would really like to know where is a good place to start location wise. I am not familiar with the duct but I was thinking around the Phelan area if you think that might produce. Send me a private message if you can and thanx in advance.

I would keep going right past Phelan until getting into Littlerock and east Palmdale. You can legally fish from 82nd st east in Littlerock all the way to 300th st. west in Neenach. That's a long stretch and every road that crosses the duct has fishing access. Go to google maps in satellite view and you can map out your plan of attack. I have caught fish at pretty much every access point along that stretch (it is a long stretch). The closest for you is Littlerock though. Yes Hesperia to Pearblossom is closer but I don't think there is as many fish in that stretch. Use the same stuff you posted that you are throwing in the Coachella Canal.

Another one? I am jealous!

Yeah they seem to be on the chew. Daytime has been the ticket for me. It's better cause I can get my sleep and catch some fish.

FarmerJohn
11-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Hey Yolo,
I've read most of your post over the two or three years and you seem to be able to a rabbit out of your hat even in times when the pickins so slim that their invisable. Don't know if you remember me but I met you a couple of months ago at a Castic Moonlight Fishing Event, you fished with Ron in his boat and 2 other friends and Khanh and his friend James were with me in my boat. I would love to meet you at the old cement river and hit a couple of spots or just one good spot. Anyway I wanted to let you know that as per your request for more Duct Striper Posts. The gods must have heard you because I got struck by lightning at the AV Duct. After not catching a striper in the 4 years I have been trying then getting slammed by 2 DDs back to back make me think it has somethink to do with the powers that be.......WTG>>>>>>>>FarmerJohn<<<<<<<<<<<

yolo
11-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah I remember you John. Good to hear that it is turning on for you at the duct. You don't know how many people I run into that have tried for a long time but are unsuccessful and give up and then there are a few that keep at it and it suddenly turns for them and they are catching fish more often. Sometimes I think it's just the confidence boost I or someone else gives them.

kpn
11-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Yeah I remember you John. Good to hear that it is turning on for you at the duct. You don't know how many people I run into that have tried for a long time but are unsuccessful and give up and then there are a few that keep at it and it suddenly turns for them and they are catching fish more often. Sometimes I think it's just the confidence boost I or someone else gives them.

I gave John that confident, after the last time out and he's fire up :ROFL:.

Khanh.

yolo
11-02-2010, 09:12 AM
That's what it really takes sometimes. Good for you for inspiring him.

FarmerJohn
11-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I gave John that confident, after the last time out and he's fire up :ROFL:.

Khanh.
I have to give credit were credit is do.:UDaMan: If we had not met I would still be getting skunked when I take my boat to Castaic and my PB striper would be 4.7 lbs Bako striper. Thank you for your help and putting with me.
:Fishing Catch: Oh wait I forgot to thank you for giving me or labeling me with my user name. :mad: "FarmerJohn":Farmer::ROFL:
And I have helped you out with things. :Confused: Remember how I helped you almost loose your first striper from San Antonio.:Neener Neener:

fishinone
11-02-2010, 02:18 PM
I have to give credit were credit is do.:UDaMan: If we had not met I would still be getting skunked when I take my boat to Castaic and my PB striper would be 4.7 lbs Bako striper. Thank you for your help and putting with me.
:Fishing Catch: Oh wait I forgot to thank you for giving me or labeling me with my user name. :mad: "FarmerJohn":Farmer::ROFL:
And I have helped you out with things. :Confused: Remember how I helped you almost loose your first striper from San Antonio.:Neener Neener:

John!,

We did loose Khanh's first striper from San Antonio but it wasn't your fault.

Now the second one is another story.:LOL:
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Lake%20San%20Antonio%20with%20John%20and%20Khahn/th_VID00000-20100617-1923.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Lake%20San%20Antonio%20with%20John%20and%20Khahn/?action=view&current=VID00000-20100617-1923.mp4)

fishinone

P.S. Sorry Yolo, Thread Jack!

NooB SaBass
11-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Nice catch.
I finally ordered my set of KPN's yesterday and would love to go with you next time you're out to learn from if you'll have me?...I'm 5 minutes away from one of the access points and any time is good for me....I'll bring the beer and my notepad....

Can you take on Two Apprentices? lol I'll bring more beer and my Notepad...=)