PDA

View Full Version : Line Spooling Question Double Uni Knot

a321eric
10-28-2010, 11:07 AM
I was thinking about adding more 10# test line to my bass reel because i am running low. I wanted everyone's opinion to see if I would be safer taking off all the line and putting new stuff on or could I just use the "double uni knot" to add line to it. The line i have on is maybe two months old and the line I am going to add is the exact same brand and #test. Basically what I am trying to get at, is the double uni safe to use? meaning that it wont slip when I hook into a fish. I don't want to have a nice fish on my line and I lose a lure because the knot didn't hold. Opinions?.?.?.?.?....

Daryl
10-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Each knot in your line (hook/lure, swivel, uni/albright) is a possible failure point. The fewer knots, the better.

To answer your question:
A uni to uni will work just fine, but I would either respool or look at backing the reel with spectra and using a mono or fluoro topshot to save money down the road. The braid will last forever and you'll only have to change out the 30 to 60 yards of mono.

KingShad
11-18-2010, 07:38 AM
I use this for tying leading leader to my spiderwire on my dropshot pole. Works great and after 10 times or so I can tie it fast now. I wouldn't recommend for baitcaster as the knot cuts ur hand as you thumb the spool to slow the bait before it hits water. Starts to hurt after 3-5 casts.

Nessie Hunter
11-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Mono is cheap enough that you should just respool and not worry about knots..
The Uni to Uni is a great knot, I have used it for many Saltwater rigs and never had a failure.
Make sure the knot is far enough down, that its not casting out, hitting the eyes on the hard casts will destroy it fast.
Its OK if it runs out after the cast or on a fish...

If its just for a leader, then make it long enough to not hit eyes on cast, OR short enough to not get casted through eyes...