PDA

View Full Version : Castaic

LunkerBill
10-28-2010, 10:36 AM
A buddy and I are going to try out Castaic on friday.It will be my first time there. I have a question, what type of net to use to get shad? I thought netting of fish was illegal in calif. waters. Or is netting of bait ok ? We are going for trout mainly but I would like to try for some of those striped bass. Whats the set up to use for those? ( lb.line bass rod?) Thanks in advance for any info. I should of asked a couple days ago.

radray
10-28-2010, 11:29 AM
LunkerBill,

It is legal to catch shad using a shad net. These specialized nets are not cheap. You can find them at Bob Sands and at Gallions. What is illegal is the use of casting nets and snagging them. As for catching shad, it is a hit an miss proposition. The last time I was there I did not see any. If you have a shad net bring it and try looking for shad at the main ramp, west ramp and the finger docks. If you manage to catch shad you are almost guaranteed to hook into something.

For the striped bass, I would suggest 8 lb. test minimum depending on what you are throwing. If you are going to fish using shad 8 lb. test is good. If you are fishing with crankbaits and small swimbaits at least 12 lb. test. If fishing with big swimbaits use at least 25 lb. test line so you don't easily lose those big heavy swimbaits.

If you are fishing for trout go with a lighter line setup and use kastmasters, spinners, trout worms and/or dough type of baits such as powerbait.

The above I mentioned are just general guidelines and I hope it helps. Good luck with the fishing and keep us posted with a report.

MichelleBedore
10-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the concise guidelines, radray :)

koifish
10-28-2010, 03:21 PM
fyi, no signs of shad @ the dock now. I just get back from there. Skunk... U better go for the trout or use sardine. Good luck

kaneo
10-28-2010, 05:22 PM
shad is gone, water has come up about 7 feet in a week or so, and the water temps have also dropped to 64 today from 72 a few weeks ago... should be a trout plant next week i think ? you can check the dfg website for stocking weeks and locations

Ulua1
10-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah like Koifish and Kaneo said shad are pretty much gone, been that way for a week or two, been kinda slow on shore since that weird die off of the shad.

If your going for the stripers might want to try throwing far & deep w/ some chovies, sardines or crawlers on a carolina rig they've been pretty elusive the last few weeks on lures from the shoreline. I like to use 8-12 lb test and a long rod (9-10 ft) if going from shore.

Also I was there last Sunday and some kid was killing the trout on Garlic power bait dough. If your going for trout dont forget your 2-4lb test.

Good luck! keep us posted

LunkerBill
10-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Hey thanks for the heads up everyone.Going to take the boat out to see what we can do.Any advice on where to go with the boat? First time taking it out.

koifish
10-28-2010, 08:53 PM
I usually go to bouye line started late Jan. Don't know about the fishing at the BL at this time of the year. You might try to go there tomorrow. fly-line or less weight are good there. Wait n bait hahahaha....

LunkerBill
10-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Well didnt make it to Castaic today. My buddy had a emergency with his dog.Maybe next time.