PDA

View Full Version : Bootfoot or Stockingfoot wader

VietReefer
10-28-2010, 02:08 AM
Hi guys
I'm shopping for my 1st waders for surf fishing. I've been fishing in my boardshort and it wasn't that comfortable after the sessions especiacially those ended with a stripe :).
Anyway, I'm just wondering which would be more comfortable, stockingfoot or bootfoot? If I were to buy the stockingfoot, I'll need to buy an extra pair of boots, and it will need to be bigger than my usual shoes side to fit the stockings, am I right?
Can you guys who've used them give me some pointers. I think I'm gonna go with Hodgman breathable.
Thanks all

fish_sauce
10-28-2010, 03:29 AM
I've used a few different brands and models specifically for surf fishing, and i've found that the stockingfoot with wading shoes setup to be a lot more comfortable than the stocking boots. Moreover, they dry up and clean up a lot easier than the stocking boots...unless you have special tools to dry them....Of course, stocking boots are a little more durable, especially in the surf environment, but i found that the stocking boots setup is more of a hassle to clean/maintain.

Take your time when selecting waders, but I think you really can't go wrong with Simms gore tex waders...i recently got one, and i love it. They are quite pricey, but you really get what you pay for. It also appears that Simms has a great warranty/customer service and support, so that was the deciding factor for me.

Hodgmans are great starter waders, my neoprene Hodgman lasted me over six years...but it was bulky, leaky, and smelly, as i had trouble fully drying it out when it started leaking after my warranty expired. My current Simms stocking foot weighs less than two pounds, takes less than an hour to air dry, and is a cake to clean up...i dont' know why i didn't get one sooner.

Edit: Oh yeah, with stocking foots, you want to try on boot sizes that are at least one size up from your regular shoes size to account for thick layer of neoprene; maybe even 1 1/2 size bigger...it all depends on how comfortable you are in it. My wading shoes is 1 size bigger than my normal shoes and it fits snugly when i have my waders on. You don't want the shoes too loose as they become a pain to walk around in once sand gets into the crevices. if you're purchasing both in a sport-fishing outlet, try them both on and walk around in them to see how comfortable you are...because a slight discomfort could magnify tenfold when you're a couple hours into your fishing. Hope this bit of info helps.

Andrew

stepchild
10-28-2010, 04:52 AM
i have a set of hodgman,i also am a beginner,and the boots that i have 1 1/2 size bigger than my reg size..and are still a lil snug..i agree with everything andrew mentioned above..its all about comfort!!!

Nessie Hunter
10-28-2010, 07:31 AM
If you are never going to Float Tube and just want the waders for surf and stream etc..
I would still go with the Stocking foot & pair of good fitting boots.. (reasons above).

Those built in Boots are not exactly good fitting or well made & very heavy....(they suck!!)..

KID CREOLE
10-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Go to a place like Bass Pro Shops and look at what they have especially for hunting. Most of us that hunt ducks in California use breathable wader with boot built in, they are comfortable and very light weight

VietReefer
10-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Thank you all for the pointers especially Andrew for being very detailed.
I guess I might have to return my wader boots because I just ordered a pair yesterday and they're only 1 size bigger than my shoes sizes so according to what you guys said then for sure they're be too tight.
The hodgman waders doesn't come in specific shoe size but comes in Sm, M, L, etc. Does anyone knows S=what shoes size and M=what shoes sizes?
I would get a pair of Simms too if their price are not too high :) I'm going with hodgman because I found a website which has some breathable ones on clearance so they're be around less than $50 shipped.

City Dad
10-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Great advice above. I'm getting ready to purchase me second pair of waders for the surf. My last pair were breathable with a stocking foot. My problem was leaking at the feet (and leaks in the neoprene feet are impossible to patch.) I attribute the leaks to A. lower-quality seams and B. not being carfull enough when pulling snug-fitting boots on and off. I prefer a tad snugger fit rather than looser - because of sand build up - so my solution will be a higher-quality foot and more care when putting on and taking off surf booties.

Also, it's nice to get a pair with a good built in pocket(s).

And don't get all-neoprene. Way to warm. You can always throw on some thermals with breathables.

EL_CHIDO
10-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Here's my advice -

Buy a pair of waders(stocking foot) and a pair of boots separately.

The reason - if one system fails, you just have to fix/replace that system.
I never buy 2-in-1 one type things like TV/VCR Combos or Blue Ray/Sound Systems.
I always find one system goes out and makes the other worthless.

Also, you have better Fin options w/stocking foot if you are going to float tube.

fish_sauce
10-28-2010, 02:09 PM
My old Hodgman with stocking boots came in size small waders and size 9 boots. It wasnt comfortable at all, since i wear size ten shoes. You should try the boots you ordered on with the waders first before you return them.

Tim: Simms offer a lifetime repair or replacement policy on their waders, maybe someone here could share their experiences with Simms customer support? I totally see my neoprene stocking foot leaking from wear and tear...perhaps when it does i should have them custom-fit a pair of wading boots on the waders like Wingnut's setup!

Andrew