PDA

View Full Version : deck replacement???

goose2foru
10-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Hello,
I have a 18 foot bayliner cobra bass boat and need to replace the wooden casting decks possibly all of the flooring. Does anyone know where I may be able to get this done at? Or a Idea on how much it would be? I got a great deal on the boat $1400 with trailer, 150 hp evinrude, fishfinders, trolling motor, the works and the boat runs great the floor is just a little weak. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you..

kaneo
10-27-2010, 07:20 PM
where do you live ? and if it just a small area you can do it yourself pretty easy... pretty much any marine place will do ti for you.. i know lakeside marine right by castaic will do it for you at a fair price.. ask for quiden hes the manager and will do you right and not rip you off.

goose2foru
10-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I live in glendale and fish lake castaic a couple of times every month so I will check out lakeside marine for shure. Thank you for your help kaneo...

DockRat
10-28-2010, 05:05 AM
Get lighter passengers. Leave it alone. Save your money.
DR

Brian_GSC
10-28-2010, 04:19 PM
I just replaced 1/2 of mine. It wasn't too expensive....about $350 for the wood, resin, paint, and hardware. I've got an 18ft V-hull.

NoHo ART
10-28-2010, 09:09 PM
i know lakeside marine right by castaic will do it for you at a fair price.. ask for quiden hes the manager and will do you right and not rip you off. :ROFL::Explode::ROFL: sorry i couldn't resist

Marky
10-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Get lighter passengers. Leave it alone. Save your money.
DR

You need to use a marine grade ply on that deck if you want it to last.

PS. Another worthless post by DockRat, it's no wonder he's been banned from all the other fishing websites....

goose2foru
10-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all the help guys just so torn on spending the money since i got such a great deal on the boat. I am pretty sure i can sell the 150 hp evinrude that runs great and get my money back. I am also only planning on keeping the boat for 2 years before getting something really nice.this is Kind of a fischer price my first boat LOL.. but it does everything i need it to... Hell Three of my rods combos were more than the boat.. Been thinking of trying to do it myself it seems like it would be mostly carpentry but brian posted something about resin and that I know nothing baout. thank you for all the help and I am open to any good advice as I am a long time fisherman but first time boat owner...

kaneo
10-29-2010, 03:55 PM
:ROFL::Explode::ROFL: sorry i couldn't resist
i know that NO MARINE PLACE IS CHEAP, just like any other place trying to make money to pay his bills too ... he is much cheaper than a few other marine shops that i know of... and he donates products and helps out with some of the bass fishing orgs. that use castaic for their tourney's.... maybe noho art can fix it for you ...

DockRat
10-30-2010, 07:02 AM
PS. Another worthless post by DockRat, it's no wonder he's been banned from all the other fishing websites....

Ha Ha you funny.

Dude, You have 11 post's since mar 2009 :ROFL:

And No you don't have to use marine plywood for a bass boat, but marine is the best.

He can use Luan plywood. There is a boat repair guy in Wilmington that showed me several scap pieces of Luan laying out exposed to the salty ocean weather for months,

No warping, No splitting and less than half the price.
DR

DockRat
10-31-2010, 05:49 AM
Spelled wrong above ? Lauan ? Anyways it must be sealed.

They used to sell 11/32" at Home Depot but I think only 1/4" now.

Re: Replacing the plywood decking on my boat

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/85159-replacing-plywood-decking-my-boat.html

I went a different direction and used 2 layers of 5mm extierer luan soaked with 3 coats of epoxy on the bottom and overlaped the seems. I had added a FG grid between my stringers so I had good support for the thin deck. I used 17/08 biaxle on top for abrasion resistance. The luan is dry as a bone a soaks up epoxy like a sponge. That is why you need severial coats even b4 glassing it to make sure you get no dry bonds. The deck on my boat is stronger then 90% of the boats I see at boat shows from the all mighty stomp test and probally light then the composits. I used this ex luan is severial sacraficial places to see how it holds up like on the gunwale side covering boards and it hold up very well just coated with epoxy, no mat and painted. This is going on 7th season of hard fishing from overnight catfishing to offshore tuna where yhou see lots of blood and and slime. Put away wet and dirty some of the times because of freezing temps and late night returns but she always cleans up nice but needs a coat of paint on the deck about once every 3 years. Not one hint of a probelm or stress crack anywhere to date.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/formul...7e.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/formul...5e.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/formul...44.jpg&.src=ph

http://www.boat-links.com/plyfaq.html

I've used Far Eastern lauan play for all my boats. It's about $15 a sheet for 6mm, $30 for 12mm. It is stamped BS1088, but if you believe that . . .

Nevertheless, its only bad fault is thin outer veneers - you need to be careful not to sand through them. Voids are small and infrequent. I used this stuff for an Oughtred skiff 8 years ago, finishing it with three coats of WEST epoxy and 2-part linear polyurethane paint. It hasn't needed repainted since then (apart from dings) and looks good for another 8 years at least. BTW the boat is kept outside all year round.

I used it 5 years ago for a Payson Pirogue and used household paint on it. Again there are no signs of delamination although the paint is flaking a bit, and the (polyester resined) glass tapes are showing initial signs of coming off at the edges.

More recently I built my Chebacco 20 with this - loads of epoxy and glass ou the outside of the hull, and 3 coats of epoxy inside. there are no problems after one season.

Having said that, I've seen other lauan (or similar) ply (from South America) that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole - filler patches in the outer veneers and so on. I guess careful inspection should be your initial guide.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?102317-Luan-ply-flow-coated-in-WEST-for-boat-building

Luan ply flow coated in WEST for boat building??
The boat in question is in a Flickr photo site. Go to Flickr and look for "Blueberrysail".

Is it possible, wise, fiscally practical etc to consider high quality Luan plywood carefully flow coated (all sides, edges included encapsulated) in epoxy? I happen to have a boat now 25 years old that looks darned near new and it was built with marine ply bulkheads, deck, cabin but sheathed in Luan because at the time the builder could not afford better ply. Perhaps I have answered my own question after all she is pushing 26 years of age now

Socal Bassman
11-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Check out the restoration section at bassboatcentral.com. Plenty of good information can be found for restoration projects.

http://www.bbcboards.net/

goose2foru
11-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all the help guys