PDA

View Full Version : California Aqueduct Palmdale/Lancaster help! New to the site

Trout Chaser1
10-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Hey guys! Im planing to go fishing to the duct Tuesday or Wednesday in the palmdale/lancaster area. Planning on using anchovies and chicken liver for bait & wait with a size 2 pyramid sinker. once i get bored of that im going to try and throw out some KPN's. I was wondering how you guys keep the bait on the hook for the livers and anchovies when the gates are totally open. Last time i went there the bait ended up coming off or my line washed up on shore:EyePop: also what rigs/hook sizes/weights you guys use would be great.. Thanks for the help:Fishing Catch:

xjdesertfox
10-26-2010, 12:14 AM
you could always wrap your bait to the hook with thread or spare pieces of light line youve got laying around.

Marine_Michael
10-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Save yourself some frustration and pass on the bait and wait unless the gates are closed and there is no flow. Either bring two rods or have stuff with you so you can change things up. Depending on where you go either throw lures while walking up flow and drift your bait back to where you started with either no weight or a small split shot. Or drift the bait down flow and throw lures on the way back to where you started.

You cover more ground that way and have more chance of locating fish and you won't get bored as easily.

To answer your original questions.

For anchovies/sardines: They are easier to handle when frozen and stay on the hook better. Once thawed run your hook through the anchovies eye completely, turn it and hook it through the body then pull the line tight so the hooks eye is up against the baits eye and it should stay on the hook.

For Chicken liver: select a good sized chunk and run your hook through it, now turn the liver and run the hook through again and keep repeating until you feel it's secure. It helps to find the tougher skin/vein/stringy stuff and run the hook through that a few times.

Hooks: I prefer octopus circle hooks in 2/0 size or EWG octopus hooks. I use the Gamagatsu (sp?) hooks from Walmart. They are strong, sharp and fairly inexpensive so it doesn't hurt too much if you loose a few to snags.

Trout Chaser1
10-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Big help Marine_Michael (=
Im planning on going with the pops tomarrow around 8ish and hit a couple of diffrent spots and hopfully have a hookup! tell you guys once i get back if we catch anything

Trout Chaser1
10-27-2010, 05:30 PM
got my first kitty in the duct today off the anchovies....
Was around 2 pounds and around a foot long or so... it wont let me post the pics though =/