PDA

View Full Version : Need Reccomendations--Newbie Baitcaster

MarkyMark
10-25-2010, 07:55 PM
HiAll,

I need suggestions on a good mid level, easy for beginners baitcaster reel & rod. I will use this setup mainly for KPNs in the duct. I thought there was a thread on this subject recently can't find it...Any suggestions?

Thanks

xjdesertfox
10-25-2010, 08:04 PM
You just need to try out different brands and see which braking system you like the most, and once you get good with it and can use one without brakes, youll probably end up with something different.

I HIGHLY favor the shimano braking system, the cast control works perfectly for me. I've had a couple daiwas and wasnt a big fan of the magforce-Z braking system, but now that i hardly use the brakes, i've been looking into daiwa reels again.

With that said, i'd recommend you try a reel with VBS, maybe a shimano citica, or shimano curado, i believe some of the abu reels have these brakes as well

Marine_Michael
10-25-2010, 08:27 PM
I've been told that the cheaper reels are easier to learn on because of the cheaper bearings, however I'm a firm believer in buy the best you can afford or at least need. I went with the Abu Garcia 2010 Revo STX and absolutely love it. I've caught over 10 stripers on it in the past few months since I got it and lost 5-6 more due to line breakage, spit the hook etc.

If you didn't know Tackle Warehouse has a demo program where you can try out up to 4 different reels at a time provided they have them available. If you've ordered from them in the past and they have you on file it's free except for the shipping charges. If it's your first time they require a deposit on your credit card that will be reversed once the reels are returned.

Or you can see if a friend will let yo try theirs to see if you like it.

ogrich31
10-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Will this be your first baitcaster?

The Shimano Curado 200e7 is one of the best mid end reels and can be had for $140 new if you look around. Best bang for your buck right there.

I started out with cheaper $50 baitcasters and when I upgraded to the e7, it was amazing. But I've upgraded and rarely take out my e7. Will sell it pretty soon if you're interested.

As for rods, do some research as line size, lure weight, and other factors go into play. Many people are brand loyal too.

Good luck and what is your budget?

MarkyMark
10-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Team Daiwa Viento Casting Reels for $109 at Tackle Warehouse...good or bad deal? I remember the Revo Sx was on sale for $99 recently

dixoncider
10-26-2010, 06:48 AM
Practice at home casting..thats the key...They will all birds nets at times..

MarkyMark
10-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Budget--no more than 250 dollars.

This will be my 2nd baitcaster, I had a Shimano Bantam 25 years ago but could only cast it sidearmed.:LOL: So, I've only used spinning reels for casting.

Would you buy a new Daiwa Viento for $109 or a used Curado e7 that I've seen people selling for around 100-120??

I do have an ABU Garcia 6600 (I think) I use for trolling..could I practice with that?

Thanks

MM

stepchild
10-26-2010, 07:32 AM
my first casting reel was the citica201.just below the curados,but very reliable.and not as expensive. i prefer the shimano crucial rod.life time warranty.then your good to go!!!.

Nessie Hunter
10-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Budget--no more than 250 dollars.

This will be my 2nd baitcaster, I had a Shimano Bantam 25 years ago but could only cast it sidearmed.:LOL: So, I've only used spinning reels for casting.

Would you buy a new Daiwa Viento for $109 or a used Curado e7 that I've seen people selling for around 100-120??

I do have an ABU Garcia 6600 (I think) I use for trolling..could I practice with that?

Thanks

MM

Not a fan of the Twitchin bar on the Viento, but still a decent reel.
The Curado E7 is very good also..
The Revo Series is right up there with both the above..

Best casting???? Hard question, but I would give that to the Curado or Revo...
Lot of E7 Reels out there, probably get a better deal on a used on then the others...

Rods??? Way to many to even suggest one...

DarkShadow
10-26-2010, 11:09 PM
If you're going to get a beginning combo, I'd really suggest not focusing on one specific lure to be using on it.

The KPN I believe weighs about an ounce. In order to get a combo that'll handle a bait of that size and weight, you'll be looking at a rod that is 7'6", parabolic, but with a strong back bone, and capable of handling one ounce baits. The reel has to be capable of handling 14 pound test, which equates to a '200' sized reel.

If you get a 7'6" parabolic rod, with a 200 sized reel and let's say 12 pound test, you're eliminating a huge spectrum of baits that won't be able to be fished comfortably with the rig.

Obviously, if the only thing you do is throw KPNs at the Duct, then getting a 7'6", 200 sized reel would be ideal. But if you plan on doing any other type of fishing, you should focus on getting something a bit more all around, rather than something as specific as what you are planning on doing.

If I had 1 combo to throw KPNs at the Duct, I'd go with:

Dobyns Saavy Series SS 766Flip - 169.99
Shimano Curado 200E7 - 179.99

While that is a bit above your budget, if you're serious about the sport, you'll be getting an absolutely bullet proof combo that will last a life time, and both components have a life time warranty.

Now, if you had to get something in your budget, I'd try looking for the same model Curado on ebay...you can find a good deal if the stars align. If you get it for $100, you'll be near your budget.

Good luck with your search.

fishfinder
10-26-2010, 11:42 PM
hey mark, i have a few diff size ones you can borrow 1, before you go out and buy. just to see if thats what you want. pm me if you want to pick it up.

Vman
10-29-2010, 11:24 AM
If you're going to get a beginning combo, I'd really suggest not focusing on one specific lure to be using on it.

The KPN I believe weighs about an ounce. In order to get a combo that'll handle a bait of that size and weight, you'll be looking at a rod that is 7'6", parabolic, but with a strong back bone, and capable of handling one ounce baits. The reel has to be capable of handling 14 pound test, which equates to a '200' sized reel.

If you get a 7'6" parabolic rod, with a 200 sized reel and let's say 12 pound test, you're eliminating a huge spectrum of baits that won't be able to be fished comfortably with the rig.

Obviously, if the only thing you do is throw KPNs at the Duct, then getting a 7'6", 200 sized reel would be ideal. But if you plan on doing any other type of fishing, you should focus on getting something a bit more all around, rather than something as specific as what you are planning on doing.

If I had 1 combo to throw KPNs at the Duct, I'd go with:

Dobyns Saavy Series SS 766Flip - 169.99
Shimano Curado 200E7 - 179.99

While that is a bit above your budget, if you're serious about the sport, you'll be getting an absolutely bullet proof combo that will last a life time, and both components have a life time warranty.

Now, if you had to get something in your budget, I'd try looking for the same model Curado on ebay...you can find a good deal if the stars align. If you get it for $100, you'll be near your budget.

Good luck with your search.

Some of the best advices on fresh water gears for free.

MarkyMark
10-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I really appreciate all of the responses to help my decision making process..Thanks !!

MM

yolo
10-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Cabelas has the new Shimano Caenan paired with their Fish Eagle II rod for $99.98 right now. http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod2-1/847277.shtml?type=product&WT_tsrc=CSE&WT_mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT_z_mc_id1=847277&RID=40&mr:trackingCode=2BFA4632-CF9D-DF11-907B-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

The reel retails for $90 and the rod for $80 so it's a good deal. I have a couple of the Fish Eagle II rods and they are a great rod. It's my duct killer. I have it paired to a Curado E7 righty but I did just place an order for this Caenan combo but in a lefty so I can switch back and forth to ease the striper elbow. I had a free shipping coupon and there is no tax so it's hard to beat this deal. I can try to dig up my free shipping code if you are interested. Just pm me and I will give it to you.

BTW, When I got the Curado E7 combo with the Fish Eagle II rod, I got it for $140 shipped from Cabelas. I got lucky on that one because it was on sale for $179 and I had a coupon code for $40 off of any purchase of $150 or more. I really scored on that.

yolo
10-29-2010, 02:51 PM
I just checked my coupon code for the free shipping and it is still good. What's nice is I think this one is a no minimum purchase so it works on any order. I think it ends October 31 so let me know if you are interested.

The rod I got in the Curado combo was the 7' MH 2 piece with lure weight from 1/4oz to 1oz and line of 8lb to 17lb. Great all around rod.

The rod I got with the Ceanan combo I just ordered is the 8'6" MH 2 piece with lure weight of 1/2oz to 1 1/2oz and line of 8lb to 17lb.

Fire Ball
10-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Make sure to skip the cheap stuff and start out with a better reel. The more expensive reels are SO much easier to cast with without backlashing, so that should make it easier for you to learn. If you don't want to spend a lot, but still get a good reel, I would buy an older (B or D series) Shimano Curado. If you have the money to spend, then by all means, buy a new 200E7.

exfactor
10-29-2010, 11:29 PM
The rod is really the key to the answer to your question. The rod catches the fish, the reel just winds em in. People forget that they will probably be fishing FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES! If you have a rod picked out, take it down to your tackle store, and see if the reel you choose fits the reel seat. Also, if it feels good in your hand. You can debate reel choices til the cows come home, but what feels good TO YOU, is what really matters.

brycek1984
11-08-2010, 09:41 AM
The rod is really the key to the answer to your question. The rod catches the fish, the reel just winds em in. People forget that they will probably be fishing FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES! If you have a rod picked out, take it down to your tackle store, and see if the reel you choose fits the reel seat. Also, if it feels good in your hand. You can debate reel choices til the cows come home, but what feels good TO YOU, is what really matters.
Rod is very important, but so is the reel. It more than just reel them in, sounds like advice from a bait-n-wait school. You can debate yes, but there is a reason why certain reels are favored, not just because it feels good in your hand. You are making it out to be some afterthought. Just because a reel feels good doesn't mean it will cast well, have good drag, have proper ratio, and fish well on the water.
Wayyy more than just to wind them in.

exfactor
11-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Brycek, you are right as far as importance to both items, however, just when you figure you've bought the best reel you can for your purpose, they come out with something better the next year. I spend alot of time casting, and I am old school. After starting with penns, then newells, then shimanos, daiwa's, and avets, it gets to the point where you are content with what you have. Look at the shimano curado promo now pertaining to the waxwing lure. Special rod, reel, line, color, etc. Will the lure work on other rods, reels, line? Damn right it will. But thats not good marketing. There have been many posts here with good advice. Lets see if he even listens.

a321eric
11-08-2010, 11:23 AM
i learned how to throw a baitcast with one of the Bass Pro Shops reels. They are really reasonable and and they have a great return policy on them too!

tree
11-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Quick question, what is the main difference between the calcutta line and the cardiff line by shimano?

a321eric
11-08-2010, 09:03 PM
i think it has more bearings and line capacity. it also requires less matenence

MarkyMark
11-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Hey All!

Here's an update--Looks like I'm buying the Citica and Fish Eagle II 8'6" med/hvycombo for $139 at Cabelas:http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Rod-Reel-Combos/Casting-Combos%7C/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/104822280/Shimano174-Citica174-CI200E-ReelCabelas-Fish-Eagle174-II-Rod-Casting-Combo/704381.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishi ng-rod-reel-combos-casting-combos%2F_%2FN-1102354%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_10482228

I has several used deals fall through and figured I can't go wrong buying this combo new..

Thanks!!!

yolo
11-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Pad your order to $150 and you will get $30 off if you enter your email address on their site and they will send you a coupon code by email. Buy some line or lures or something and it will end up being free minus $20 on top of that (assuming you buy something that's just $10). Hurry cause the deal ends 11-16-10 . That's a good combo. Why not get the 7' MH? It's a great duct rod and the one I use and get a lot of fish on. I did order an 8'6" though myself recently. The 8'6" is backordered so I have not received it yet.

MarkyMark
11-14-2010, 08:18 PM
yolo,

The combo is regularly priced at $169 minus 30 dollars off ...I wanted a 7'6" rod but the there's not a med/heavy combo available so I thought about the 8'6". I haven't ordered it yet but will tomorrow. I will consider the 7 footer though..Thanks

MM

yolo
11-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Also try the following free shipping codes and see if it will accept one with the $30 off too. Try xoctober, xturkey or xthanks .

stg68
11-15-2010, 04:33 PM
i learned how to throw a baitcast with one of the Bass Pro Shops reels. They are really reasonable and and they have a great return policy on them too!

Me too, My first combo was from Bass Pro, $79, Quantum® Bill Dance Select Rod and Reel Baitcast Combos .
Not the best, but I did killed a lot of stripers all summer with that combo.

I think now , this combo goes for about $50