PDA

View Full Version : 16 gauge Double Barrel Shotgun information needed!

jrg1991
10-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I have a 16 gauge double-barrel *side by side* shotgun. The model is "long range gun". I have no clue how old this shotgun is... however, it belonged to my grandfather who would be over 98 years old. (Maybe belonged to his father?) It is shocking! It's in basically perfect condition. 99.9% wood condition left. It has been fired 1000's of times, and cleaned after every shooting trip. The make is Ithaca. It does not have a serial number??? I've looked everywhere for it. Though, maybe it didn't have one? The patent number is 60526. (If that helps in anyway) any information would be appreciated. My family is looking to sell this gun so any value information would be very helpful as well.

Nessie Hunter
10-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Hammerless Ithaca side by sides started in/after 1927/1930 sometime, Have no clue when..
They continued till almost 1950????? That era anyway...
They were exposed hammer before that, and then they stopped making them all together circa 1950 ish...
I think they sold to Sears or Stevens around 1930 ish also???

Look closely on the left side of breach for numbers?? Or under the forearm stock??
SOme of them were also Black Powder only, low pressure in muzzle...
Cant tell unless you measure the chamber..
If its 2 9/16" DO NOT FIRE MODERN AMMO in it.. It will explode!!!!

Why would you sell it, thats a piece of your family history, should have a ton more value to you & the Fam then it would in dollars...

You also have to go through a gun dealer to sell one in Calif (I think)????..
Check before you try to sell it.. IM sure some one here can expand on that???

jrg1991
10-24-2010, 03:34 PM
i looked under the breach it said "60526 Pat'd" those are the only numbers i saw on the gun.
i also looked under the stock it has nothing.
it is a regular 16 gauge since i use 16 gauge shot shells. so the regular demensions of a 16 gauge shell? so that crosses out the blackpowder style.
we really don't want to sell it, though we need the cash.
i already know the selling procedures. thanks for the post though. do u have any other information?
btw, thanks for the post

marshhawk
10-24-2010, 03:44 PM
You might try going online to the 16 Gauge Society,just type that into your browser and it will come up, those guys eat sleep and breath 16 gauge shotguns, they have forums on their website where you could post your questions about your gun, Good Luck, Marshhawk

WARRIORMIKE
10-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Just don't go selling it on that show "Pawn Stars." You wont get anything for it!!!

Nessie Hunter
10-25-2010, 08:22 AM
I have been out of the gun loop for many years. Just lost interest & it got to expensive!!!!!
99% of my guns are in my brothers hidden gun safe. I havnt even seen them in many yrs!!!!

Yep, the internet & many Many gun collectors will give you a ton of info..
I do know that from model & yr to the next, some are worth a few $$ and some are not.
Just have to know whats up to keep from getting screwed on both sides of the coin...

Good luck...

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
You might take it to a gun shop and ask them to look it up in a gun bluebook, most shops have them. That's how I found out what my Dad's army service gun was worth, a 1906 Savage .32 cal. Semi Auto....not worth much but it will give you a better idea if it's worth selling or not.