PDA

View Full Version : Duct, I want More, More, More

yolo
10-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I get a text from fishinone yesterday that he wants to go do a little duct fishing this morning. We meet up this morning and off to spot one before the sun rises. Wind is blowing hard and Ron didn't bring enough warm clothes so we don't even try there and decide to head to a calmer area. We work it for a while and nothing. He with the KPN and I with a soft jerk bait. We keep working it and I get a solid hit and hook up. The fish is ripping my tight set drag and is headed under the buoy where my buddy broke off last week. I'm working and fighting it and have to reach over the fence and dip my rod down to the water as close as possible to keep my line under the buoy line 20 yards down. I did not want to hit any of the crimp on knuckles as that is instant break off. It clears away from the knuckle and I lift back up trying to turn it while it is still past the buoy line. I can feel my line rubbing up against it but as long as it's on the line it's fine. I am able to turn the fish and start to hyper reel my 7:1 Curado. My striper elbow is setting in and I have to support the rod with my right hand as the fish is fighting and running again. I get him back under the buoy line and he is in the rough turbulent water now. The backflow is to my advantage and I burn the line back onto the reel making sure not to get any slack or it would spit it. I get him to the edge and it finally tired. I horse him down past the fence so I can go to the water's edge to grip him with lip gripper. Success and landed. A solid 8lber.

We work it a bit longer and nothing. Ron might have had what felt like a hit but nothing else happening. Off to the next spot and nothing there. Off to yet another spot and nothing there either. We decide to go to a spot I had all the micros at a few days ago and see if they wanted to play. We get there and I use the technique that nailed them last time and I immediately hook up on the micro. Toss him back. Ron is getting bit but they are stealing his bait. I get another one and quickly release it. Ron has one on but it is darting through the water and gets off. I get another one and it swalled the hook and was bleeding so I could not release it. I immediately dissect it to see what they are eating. It is loaded with shrimp. The bite is slowing down but Ron finally hooks one and lands it. It's a deformed one like the one I also caught last time. He releases it and then the action just shuts off. We work it for a half hour trying to get them to bite again or wait for their return. Not much happening. Then Ron hooks up again but his drag is so loose that the 6" fish is ripping drag and as it gets close to shore and darting around, it gets off. I manage to land one more and the bite was gone. It was nothing like the few days prior when it was wide open and on fire but we found them again. There were hundreds if not thousands of tiny silversides right there but the micros never bothered to come and chase them.

I had company coming over so I had to call it a day. I sent Ron to another spot so hopefully he gets something there. We shall see when he gets home and posts. Thanks for coming out Ron and I'm glad that I was able to get us on some action, even if it was micros. We beat the skunk so that is always good.

Here's a shot of the bendo on the 8lber that Ron took of me.
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-23-10/imagejpeg_23.jpg

Here's the fish
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-23-10/imagejpeg_2.jpg

Here' a micro sample
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-23-10/IMG00318.jpg

novel44
10-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Nice going. I went out today too for about an hour around noon for a few casts but nothing. I was useing a soft jerkbait i had found at the duct a week ago... :)..

ohh and dont mean to hijack the thread but it's the funniest thing. About two weeks ago i went to bass pro and got some saltwater gear, had my light rod in the car with me. On the way back i stopped at Jackson lake for the first time. I get to the lake and a few people fishing so i figure i'll trow in my line for a bit too. Get my rod out and realize I have no other gear with me. Disappointed i walk the shore for a bit and found like 6 hooks. Tie them up and again realize i have no bait. Look in the car and find some Doritos crumbs under my car seat, get those out, soak em in water, make a little dough out of it, put it on the hook, caught 2 of those red gold fishes swimming around.

Again sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread just funny how much trash people can leave around. If you're resourceful and look around, you hardly have to buy anything. Now only if one of you can leave behind one of your KPN's I wont have to order any...(sorry Khanh)...

yolo
10-23-2010, 06:49 PM
I have found a lot of stuff at the duct. Hooks, sinkers, lures, fishing poles, rod holders etc. I love drunk fisherman. They save me a bunch on tackle. Oh the best is finding traut lines and pulling them in and cutting the hooks and sinkers off for my personal use.

fishinone
10-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the good company Yolo.

I think, I missed 2 pickups there where Yolo got his fish. One on the KPN and one on the jig. With the jig, the new pole came with 10 or 12 lb mono and a soft tip. I think, I'll be changing the line. With the bow in the line from the current and another from the wind, plus the softer tip and stretchy line the striper could have been swimming around with the jig in it's mouth and I might not have known. On the KPN, I had a graphite pole and 20 lb. superline. I just missed!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Aquaduct%20with%20Yolo%2010-23-2010/IMG00231-20101023-0848.jpg
Here's a shot of Yolo landing his fish.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Aquaduct%20with%20Yolo%2010-23-2010/IMG00235-20101023-1203.jpg
Here's my skunk breaker, another deformed one. This thing was a deformed runt and it fought really sad, even for such a tiny one. I finally got to fish in that spot with the swirly background.:LOL:

That one I had hooked up with the loose drag must have been skin hooked because it pulled off. I guess a tighter drag might have caused a better hook set.:EyePop:

Yolo offered me his fish and at first I said no let it go, because I really like eating fish that I catch. Then I reconsidered because the nurse who was taking care of my son likes fish.

Thanks for the fish Yolo. I cleaned it when I got home and checked the stomach contents.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Aquaduct%20with%20Yolo%2010-23-2010/IMG00236-20101023-1605.jpg
4 perch.

yolo
10-24-2010, 08:51 AM
That fish was sure eating good. I forgot about the catfish that broke my hook when we were searching for the micros.

Those swirly spots that everyone posts always have a fish with them. :LOL:

smokehound
10-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Looks like Mr. Stripey has a fondness for tule perch. (a landlocked species of surfperch)

Something to think of when the go-to lures fail ;)

Nice job, Yolo.

yolo
10-25-2010, 12:11 PM
That's why the lipless cranks work so well like the Rat L Trap, KPN, Bomber, Luckycraft etc. Just take your pick.

kpn
10-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Nice going. I went out today too for about an hour around noon for a few casts but nothing. I was useing a soft jerkbait i had found at the duct a week ago... :)..

ohh and dont mean to hijack the thread but it's the funniest thing. About two weeks ago i went to bass pro and got some saltwater gear, had my light rod in the car with me. On the way back i stopped at Jackson lake for the first time. I get to the lake and a few people fishing so i figure i'll trow in my line for a bit too. Get my rod out and realize I have no other gear with me. Disappointed i walk the shore for a bit and found like 6 hooks. Tie them up and again realize i have no bait. Look in the car and find some Doritos crumbs under my car seat, get those out, soak em in water, make a little dough out of it, put it on the hook, caught 2 of those red gold fishes swimming around.

Again sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread just funny how much trash people can leave around. If you're resourceful and look around, you hardly have to buy anything. Now only if one of you can leave behind one of your KPN's I wont have to order any...(sorry Khanh)...

Good luck with the find bud!
People loose some of my lure on the bottom of the duct (some of my friends....including me :Smile:), if you lucky, you can snag 1 up.....I know some one did. Good luck bro :Wink:.

KPN.

kpn
10-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Good job out there guys.....No skunk for you :Big Grin:.

Khanh.

yolo
10-25-2010, 02:00 PM
No skunk for Ron either. He got that broke back micro.

I have lost quite a few KPN to the duct myself. I hate it when they snag on a first cast right out of the package though. It happens. That's part of fishing. I find all kinds of stuff at the duct but no KPN yet. I know someone that found one hung up on a ladder and was able to get it but he has lost quite a few to the duct too.

HaiTheMeister
10-26-2010, 01:08 PM

I have lost quite a few KPN to the duct myself. I hate it when they snag on a first cast right out of the package though. It happens. That's part of fishing. I find all kinds of stuff at the duct but no KPN yet. I know someone that found one hung up on a ladder and was able to get it but he has lost quite a few to the duct too.

Breaking a few eggs to make an omelette :-)
nice fish!

Marine_Michael
10-26-2010, 08:00 PM

Duct tally (2) KPN (1) spro lipless (2) Mag Force Rat-L-Traps Many many jig heads and flukes, hooks, sinkers ... So far all I have found was a pair of rusty pliers, a rod holder and (1) KPN which caught a few fish the other night. :D

Since switching to a baitcasting setup and better rod my fish count has gone way up compared to the previous year.

fishinone
10-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Duct tally (2) KPN (1) spro lipless (2) Mag Force Rat-L-Traps Many many jig heads and flukes, hooks, sinkers ... So far all I have found was a pair of rusty pliers, a rod holder and (1) KPN which caught a few fish the other night. :D

Since switching to a baitcasting setup and better rod my fish count has gone way up compared to the previous year.

Hey! that KPN you found was probably mine.:LOL:

Could you send it to me please?:Razz: