PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Connection

Icarus
10-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Headed down to Castaic yesterday around 10:30. I wanted to practice using my baitcasting rod & reel. Made of crazy casts for a while but couldn’t get on any bass:Crying:. So after a while I decided to go after some of the freshly stocked trout. Put my little gold Kastmaster on an ultra-light rod I brought with me and it was like taking candy from a baby haha. There are still quite a few lingerers near the main launch ramp. Saw some guys throwing the big stuff but I don’t think they had any luck with that. They eventually started going after the trout to get in on the easy action. Fished the trout for a little while, caught 4, and had another one get off as I pulled him out of the water. Other than that they were biting on pretty much every other cast. Had a lot of fun with those little rainbows, reminded me of when I fished in the lagoon all the time as a kid:Big Grin:.

Ray Lopez
10-23-2010, 11:14 AM
I feel ya on the practice with the baitcasters. In all my years fishing (17+) and still have troubles with baitcasters. I also think it's gonna take a few stockings before the big fish come up into the marina.

Icarus
10-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah, it's pretty difficult. Only got a bird's nest once though. My main issue is just how awkward it is using the opposite hands. Took me a long time just to be able to cast it straight. Now I gotta work on getting a little more distance.

Mr.DieHard
10-23-2010, 04:28 PM
were you fishing from shore?

Icarus
10-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Yup, just a short distance from the ramp.

yacker
10-25-2010, 12:51 PM
baitcasters are tough...if you're used to spinning reels and using your left hand- try using a left hand baitcast model and it makes it a lot easier since we're used to doing it that way...once I did that it made a big difference!

kpn
10-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Another lefty :LOL:. Welcome to the lefty club :Envious:.

KPN.

stg68
10-25-2010, 02:24 PM

KPN.

Lefty getting fish most of the time !!!!!!!!!!
:Secret::Secret::Secret::Secret::Secret::mad::mad: :mad::mad:

Icarus
10-26-2010, 02:17 PM
baitcasters are tough...if you're used to spinning reels and using your left hand- try using a left hand baitcast model and it makes it a lot easier since we're used to doing it that way...once I did that it made a big difference!

Yeah, if I can't get used to it I might have to just get a left handed one. I just wanted to try it out the way it's supposed to be. But after only using a spin reel, it's pretty awkward. I also just didn't want to have to buy a new reel. I'm using an old one my dad had laying around in the garage and I just got a rod for it.

KPN.

Nope, not left handed but I guess I would be more used to using a left handed reel.

Hog Caller
10-27-2010, 02:13 PM
My buddy and I have this discussion all the time. I ask why he reels his baitcaster right handed and his spincaster left handed. I've changed the handles on all of my spincasters to right hand. Seems easier to me.

Brent

plastics
10-27-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm really bad with my left hand, so this is out of the question for me personally, but since you're having trouble reeling the baitcaster with your right hand, you should absolutely switch to left handed baitcasters. Reason is for flipping/pitching ... guys like me that can't reel with the left are forced to switch hands with the rod following a pitch or flip in order to engage the reel with our right hands ... you can miss fish while making that switch if they hit immediately on the drop. So if you're capable of reeling the baitcaster with your left hand, you should do so.