PDA

View Full Version : NPH 10/21 (22 early AM)

badgerbacker
10-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Fished the docks opposite the Coast Guard Station around 12:15 AM. Tide was falling towards a low of 1.5’ around 3 am. Temp was mid sixties and partly cloudy to overcast. No rain, but there were a few periods of very light drizzle.
I worked toward the harbor mouth, slowly working a heavy jig around dock pilings. I picked up a 12” Spotted Bass right away on a black and white jig with a black trailer. The current was really moving at point and the fish was in the current.
I tried to fish lit docks, but there were not very many. I switched to a similar jig with a beavertail grub trailer at a lit dock. I missed a fish, reeled up quickly to check and then dropped it back down. A 14” Spot picked it up on the drop.
I maneuvered my kayak along the dock again and raised and lowered it, swimming along the bottom more actively then I normally do at night. I got slammed on the drop, and a heavy fish took off under the dock. I managed to pull it out into more open water and caught a glimpse of it. I was surprised to see it was a Sand Bass. I always felt Spotties fought better, but this one put up a great fight. It was also my biggest Sand bass out of NPH at just a hair over 16”
Missed a few small bites on both jigs, and then tried a big T-Rigged plastic worm for awhile.
Sorry no pictures, I pack pretty light on the night missions.

BrandonFish
10-22-2010, 07:36 PM
nice night session kayaking by your self at night must ment you were ready to catch the beast :Cool:
Thanks for the report

murrieta angler
10-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the report B.B.
Robert