PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding a penn

bstolton
10-20-2010, 06:25 PM
I have a penn 220 gto reel that has a bad bearing. I would like to rebuild it, I have the schematic, but I have never done this before. Can it be upgraded with better bearings and drags or any other improvements or am I just waisting my time and money.

exfactor
10-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Changing the bearings is pretty simple. There aren't upgrades for that drag system. Make sure you use grease for the levelwind and gears. A little tricky getting the levelwind back together on the reel, but besides that, no prob. If you get in a bind pm me. Mikey ps keep the bearings oiled with light reel oil, they cost 20 bucks to replace

Nessie Hunter
10-21-2010, 07:39 AM
I have a penn 220 gto reel that has a bad bearing. I would like to rebuild it, I have the schematic, but I have never done this before. Can it be upgraded with better bearings and drags or any other improvements or am I just waisting my time and money.

What does it do that makes you think it has a bad bearing???
It only has 2 bearings..

I would suggest you look at some picture tutorials on Reels before you start, it will give you a good idea what is what.
How to lay out the parts in order, what tools are needed, what basically goes where and what to Oil & what to grease. (Google Alan Tani).

If you get stuck, post it up, many of us will gladly lend a hand...
Some of us have boxes of used parts also (just in case)!!!!

Good luck, watch for things that go BOING !!!! LOL

bstolton
10-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I haven`t taken it apart yet to see whats messed up, but last time I used it froze up while reeling in and its hard to turn even by hand. If I do need to replace bearings or any other parts whats a good source?

Nessie Hunter
10-22-2010, 09:49 AM
If im reading that right..
Bearings dont freeze up in the middle of reeling in or casting , not that I can picture anyway.
(I guess you could fry them on a big high speed Tuna running)
They are normally just hard to turn when you pick it up after a non-use period..
Corrosion and salt deposits set in....
Try adjusting the spool control knob at the end caps, small cap that covers the bearings on each side, turn one counter clockwise 1/2 turn and try again. They may have gotten tight..

Also Im not very familiar with that model, I do have a 320 GT. It has a spool cap on the left side only (next to handle)???

But if it has caps at both ends you may be able to unscrew them and oil the bearings that way. They should be inside the caps, just a drop or two, it migrates all over inside if you put more in... Then work the bearings to free them up and coat them evenly with oil...
Easy to put a Phillips driver in the inner race and turn to work them back & forth...

For all my bearings, oils, Grease & drags & plates (even some basic tools) I always use Smoothdrags.com Dawn is super nice and she mails out fast... Highly recommended!!!!

Keep us posted.....

bstolton
11-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Finally got around to working on the reel last weekend, had a schematic so just tore it completly down. Didn`t take any pics during disassembly BIG MISTAKE.:Sad: Thank god for Alan Tani`s website, saved my ***. I ordered cal drag grease and corrosion x as per his recommendation. I got stumped on the installation of the eccentric spring and ended up having to order a new one, but with Alan`s help I figured it out. The dog spring gave me some trouble too, but I worked thru it. It seems to work good now but won`t really know until I can take it out and use it. The problem with it sticking was a piece of 25lb line that got wraped around inside, probally happened during one of my famous backlashes.:EyePop: If any of you are planning on working on any of your reels I highly recomend Alan`s site
Thanks Bill

Nessie Hunter
11-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Alan Tani has some amazing picture tutorials on his site and at B/D...
He truly knows his reels....

Glad you did such a good job, Congrats...
Now I suppose youll be tearing the toaster apart!!! LMAO

bstolton
11-22-2010, 08:05 PM
No, but I did upgrade my calcutta with carbon drags and repair one of my trout rods that had a broken tip.
Bring on the fish I am ready!