PDA

View Full Version : Slow day at Skinner 10 15 2010

ghetto dad
10-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Hey guys....its been a LONG time since I posted up a report, been dealing with a lot of personal issues for quite a while, haven't fished to much as of late....so here's a quick one....

Good afternoon,
I am on about 1 ½ hours sleep, so bare with me. This will either be a short report or a long report, I don’t know yet, I will start typing and find out at the end.

After getting the striper skunk at the campout, and also getting the striper skunk on Monday, I was absolutely determined to give Skinner one last shot for a swim bait fish. As of last night, I still wasn’t sure whether or not I would be able to go today, and would have to wait until 3 am to see if my wife’s check hit the bank or not. So at 3 am sharp, I checked our account, and it was there. Also, about 315 am, I made the mistake of sitting on the couch, and fell asleep. I woke up at 430 am, and fought with myself to go or not, I was EXTREMELY exhausted, it has been a long two weeks for me. So, after about 15 minutes of arguing with myself, I loaded up the gas guzzler, and headed to Skinner.

It was very misty this morning, which made me think that I should have stayed home. Then I decided to not quit, and continued forward. About an hour and a half later, I exited Rancho CA, and headed East. The problem was, the farther East I got, the thicker the fog got. As a matter of fact, it was so thick, that when I turned into Skinner, I pulled over and had to think about 5 minutes on whether or not I should even try this, finding boils in the fog. Well, I made it this far, and headed to the gate, paid my $9, and headed to Dock 1 where I would rent my boat for a couple hours.

Today’s arsenal:
6 lb test Phenix MBX d/s, Sahara 2500 popper
12 lb test Phenix 9’ Inshore Assassin Calcutta 250 4 inch pearl Big Hammer ½ oz lead head

I left the boat dock and decided to start in the East part of the lake. I looked very hard for boils, which in the fog, was extremely hard to do, even though it had thinned out from this morning. After a while, I finally saw one or two boils, rolled up on them, and cast my BH. Nothing for the first 5 casts or so, then on the 6th…..BAM!!!!! I set the hook hard, and had a solid hook set. After a short time, I landed this!

FINALLY, MY FIRST SWIMBAIT STRIPER! MISSION COMPLETE!!!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC12528.jpg

Damn, that felt good. I was determined to finally get one on a swimmy, and accomplished the mission! Lol. I threw the fish on the stringer, and continued looking around for boils. At one point, I rolled up on a boil of about 4-5 fish, but they didn’t want anything to do with the plastic, so I continued searching for boils. After a short time, I decided to head on over to the Ramp 2 area of the lake.

About 15 minutes later, I rolled around the point, and remembered that Berny had trolled a straight swim bait, and I thought wth, I’ll give it a shot for a few. I figured at least if I hooked one like this, I could feel the fish, unlike fishing 50 lb mono and a 10 lb U-Rig. I lasted about 10 minutes, and remembered why I hate trolling, I almost fell asleep. So I reeled it in, and looked for some top water action.

This side of the lake was definitely more active than the other side I had started on. A few more boils here, and I chased quite a few of them, for nothing. They just didn’t seem in the mood for a plastic. I saw a point I wanted to try, and headed on over to it.

I saw one boil, made one cast, and hooked one fish! This one was slightly larger than the first, and after a few minutes, I landed this!

SWIM BAIT STRIPER 2!!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC12529.jpg

I threw it on the stringer, and was already content with my days catch so far, which wasn’t much, but like I said earlier, I did what I came to do, twice even! Lol.
I continued to chase the few boils that were popping up, and finally, after what seemed like 100 casts later, I finally hooked another fish!
This fish felt the same as the second, decent size. Once I got it to the side of the boat, I confirmed it was a decent fish, and then threw the reel out of gear to bounce the fish. Well, that didn’t work this time, as the fish shook its head and spit the lure out of his mouth in midair, and got away! Damn fish! Lol.

That was pretty much it on the boils, I had already been out there a little more than 2 hours, and wanted to try my luck at some popper bass. Found a nice little area holding a little bit of bait, and lots of bass boiling around after it. I pulled in, and decided to finish my morning off here.

I casted my popper about 10 times, no hookups, but I did get boiled on 3 times. I decided to make one last cast, found my target area, and fired away. On the pop back, I get boiled on really good, and the fish takes the lure underwater! I set the hook hard, and the fight was on! This fish tested the backbone of my Phenix MBX, and pulled brutally….

LMFAO!! WTH? POPPER ABOUT THE SAME SIZE AS THE FISH!! DAMN GREEDY LIL BASTARD!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC12530.jpg

After fighting that last fish, I was just too worn out to fish anymore, and decided to head back to the dock.

Yeah, I know it wasn’t phenomenal, but I did accomplish what I set out to do, even though it took me 3 trips to Skinner to finally do it! Landed my first swim bait striper, and as far as the weather, I LOVED it! It stayed overcast the entire time I was there (but maybe that had an effect on why they weren’t very active today, I don’t know) and never got hot.

Not bad for a couple hours on the lake, and I finally got the “I need to catch a striper on a swim bait” itch off! Now I’m ready for gills and crappie, and trout very soon!

Let’s DO this!!!

Until next time…………………

GD

skunked again
10-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Nice report GD. Thanks for the excitement.
That must be a 20" bass on a 16" sahara popper! lol

SA

Troutman65
10-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Nice photos .Thanks for posting up :LOL::Wink:

adiablo420
10-21-2010, 11:51 PM
good job on the mission complete...just went recently..itching to go back real soon.ill be posting one up soon..good fishin...