PDA

View Full Version : Lake Isabella 10/16 and 17

Mojave River Angler
10-19-2010, 11:36 AM
My friend Anthony and I hit Izzy for half of Saturday and Sunday. Headed out Friday night but ended up sitting on the side of the road in the middle of the night...ignition module died. So we got parts installed and headed to Izzy after 2.5 hours sleep. Still got the lake early afternoon Saturday to find the lake like glass. Surface temp was warm to the touch still. Couldn't get the raft inflated fast enough. Found the cats liking sardines quite a bit. Had 4 keepers before heading to camp late afternoon. Sunday morning we got up at 4:30 and positioned ourselves for the sunrise. Didn't take long for the lake to come alive. Wind blew gently from East early then swund around from the North. Then early afternoon the typical West winds started and we got off the lake just before the whitecaps took over. Spent the day fishing in less than 20' of water on the east branch. We caught a nice bunch of cats, most channels and whites. I have a hard time identifying the blues...so maybe some of them too. I also caught a PB Channel cat 4+ lbs but lost it to a broken stringer before we reached shore. Fishing was busy so we didn't take photos until we got to shore (liar).

Total for the weekend was 30-40 cats. Threw most back.
No trout, bass, crappie, and didn't spend any time targeting them...but we did hang out some crawlers for a while. I expect the cool nights are going to bring the surface temp down pretty soon.