PDA

View Full Version : Im planning in heading out to DVL Comments and Tips PLS?

crazyforwater20082008
10-18-2010, 03:42 PM
I was hoping you hardcore fisherman can help me, I have gone to DVL like 6 times and only caught 1 fish. I really would appreciate if anyone could point out some great baits, fishing lines, and techniques for striper, and LMB. I plan to rent a boat but not sure if I should get the basic or Bass boat? Please help! :Neutral:

I was at bass pro shop and didnt know what to get I bought: :EyePop::Embarrassed:
BBZ Baby Shad and A regular shad
6lb fluorocarbon line Sunline
Rapala XR-8 Silver

Is A Six pound test good for catching striper bass?
I have never troll so what are some good trolling gear?

TrouTracker
10-18-2010, 04:26 PM
To CFW- DVL can be an extremely challenging lake. It can be extremely challenging even if you know the lake as well! One suggestion would be to get as much information as you can from the "local" guys that know and fish the lake regularly. I'd hit up Last Chance B&T in Hemet, as they're really on top of what's happening and give out great info. Their selection of fishing equipment is really top notch. Then, I'd talk to the boys at the Jewel to see what's happening that day. The lake seems to change on a daily basis, especially if you're fishing for stripers. Best of luck out there and try to keep positive, even if you get that black stripe across your back. You certainly won't be the only one to earn that achievement.........
Barry A. Ogawa

dixoncider
10-18-2010, 04:37 PM
I would guess that if you fished there 6 times you are into it. I would guess that a guide trip might head you in the right direction. When you rent a boat not only are you now finding fish you have to catch them also. It can be harder than it appears if you have not done it before..

sweetfish
10-18-2010, 04:39 PM
The main thing I would add is go search for them. Drive to the west dam, and if they are not boiling there, go to Rawson cove. If not there, go to east dam. Keep driving until you find some boils. The other thing is the fish act different at different parts of the lake at different times of the day. What I am saying I have experienced a school of fish going nuts boiling everywhere and cannot get them to bite. So I leave that school and go to another group that is boiling and have better success. If you see them and are not getting bit, move on and come back later in the day. The baits you have mentioned should work and be careful with the 6lb line. Make sure if you do hook a good one try to keep them from going down. Lots of submerged brushes underwater.

Good luck.

crazyforwater20082008
10-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Results for Thursday!

Well I went out on Thursday cloudy, light-wind and cold.
I had a hard time finding shad and boils until 9am.
First I found huge schools of shad two cove passing restroom #2. I tried jerk bait, top water, Swim baits, cast masters and flukes. All I got was a nice LMB about the size of king-Kong weighting at 0.1lb and the size of a jerk bait. I searched for other boils but couldn’t find any.
I plan to go next Thursday again with my father in law and maybe Wednesday two if someone would split the rental.
I really don’t know anyone at the lake that gives guided trips and how much do they charge? Who are my options For DVL?

Indo-angler
10-22-2010, 03:42 PM
I was out there yesterday also with my fishing buddy. To your description of the day I would add "wet" also!

For a guide check the ones who advertise on this site. I have gone out with Pete and Art and both have helped me a lot.

Even though it was somewhat slow in the morning we ended up having a great day, and caught lmb, smallies, huge blue gill and striper.... but that was mainly because we were able to dip shad!

fishinone
10-22-2010, 04:18 PM
If you can swing it a trip with T/O will put you on fish, now and later.

http://troutonly.net/

Shane o mac
10-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Great buy with the BBZ shad, if its top water they will hit it like crazy. I love using that thing i have caught many fish at DVL on that lure. Good luck this time man.

crazyforwater20082008
11-02-2010, 07:23 PM
That BBZ Baby Shad became my new best friend. Caught a 9lb Striper. Thanks For the advice.

stocker
11-03-2010, 11:25 PM
I was hoping you hardcore fisherman can help me, I have gone to DVL like 6 times and only caught 1 fish. I really would appreciate if anyone could point out some great baits, fishing lines, and techniques for striper, and LMB. I plan to rent a boat but not sure if I should get the basic or Bass boat? Please help! :Neutral:

I was at bass pro shop and didnt know what to get I bought: :EyePop::Embarrassed:
BBZ Baby Shad and A regular shad
6lb fluorocarbon line Sunline
Rapala XR-8 Silver

Is A Six pound test good for catching striper bass?
I have never troll so what are some good trolling gear?

I've had too many heartbreaks on 10lb test so I'm now only using a minimun of 15 for the stripe and usually it is 20. I salute you however for having the guts to even use the 6. peace.