PDA

View Full Version : BBL fishing 1st time in a decade at least

viktory66
10-18-2010, 01:43 PM
yeah its been a while but I'm hooked again. I was up there Sunday at 6am on the north shore and got a cat about a 1/4 mile from the dam (was full already) then kept trying at different spots (bait fishing) on the north shore and didn't catch a thing. was on my way to lake Greggory when I saw no one at the dam around 11ish to 12 decided to stop and try some lures. was there about 3 hrs and caught 6 fish 3 bows, 3 crappies. lures used were lil cleo, cast master, lip ripper all from 1/4 to 1/2 ounce (go figure, seems big) I was throwing everything i had and those three were the ones that worked. I have a question whats in the middle of the dam area? I lost 2 lures there. It feels like a cable or something it has give then springs back. it actually not very deep either or doesn't seem so. all in all it was a good day fishing :Big Grin:

Sublime-Steve
10-18-2010, 02:02 PM
where on the dam? what side?how deep? i get snagged on something alot 2.. what size were the rainbows?

viktory66
10-18-2010, 06:22 PM
I was on the south side. I was counting for depth and retrieving at different speeds. I'm not sure how fast these drop but the magic number seemed to be 1/2 ounce I would go till 10 and the 1/4 ounce to 15 seconds. It seemed to change but i was swapping lures pretty quick so I might have counted wrong for the size of lure. one time i got caught and reeled in as much as i could and opened the bail so it shot out then reeled in quick and it came free. I'm thinking it might be for that platform out there? don't know. the biggest bow was 1 an 1/2 pounds (this one jumped clean out of the water twice, good fighter) the other 2 were a pound or under. I use an UL rod an reel with 4lb line so 1/2 lures are getting heavy but i could cast it half way across or better.

etaggart
10-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Hey Vik,

There are some trees in that area, and there's the old dam. I don't know about a platform or cable/tether - unless there's a cable holding the buoy line. The old dam arcs all the way across, about 200 yards (I think) east from the current dam. The top of the old dam sits 16' under the highest water point. I think we're down 4' 6" now, so that means the top of the old dam is about 11' 6" down. When I used to shore fish, I'd have reasonable luck drifting a bobber back and forth over the top of the dam. Hard to find, but the fish have to come up to get over it as they cruise.

Great job on catching w/ lures!

Eric

viktory66
10-19-2010, 07:50 PM
thanks Eric i didn't know that about the old dam. It actually makes sense because i could go deeper if i cast closer to the current dam and farther east but towards the middle is was shallower. when you say drifting a bobber are you using a fly on a leader or bait fishing? thanks again

etaggart
10-19-2010, 08:02 PM
I've done both, drifting beadheaded woolly buggers, gulp nuggets, powerbait, night crawlers .....

Report back on what works best for you - and make sure to include pix!!!!!! It's the only way I can see a Big Bear trout some days ;)

Eric

viktory66
10-20-2010, 06:35 PM
well do Eric will do. might be going up there this weekend with a buddy of mine. really don't have the time but might have to make the time:Big Grin: i don't have any woolly buggers but I do have some fly's and all the baits of course.