PDA

View Full Version : DFG at Newport Pier

5150fishn
10-18-2010, 01:41 PM
So I decide to hit up Newport Pier Saturday Night 10-16 for a little chill time and do a little fishing and hooping. I arrive at 10:00p.m. to find the usually crowded pier with plenty of open space to drop a line. The air was about 62 out so not too cold but it was drizzling so this probably kept the crowds away. Shortly after dropping a line and a hoop net in a DFG warden came strolling through with a service dog. In my many trips to this pier I think it has probably been 5 years since I have seen a warden out there.
He was checking everyone's catches and especially looking for hoopers fishing lobster without a report card. I had mine so no worries and I told him that it was refreshing to see him out there and he said that is not the usual response he gets Ha Ha Ha. Not sure if anyone got busted poaching but at least he made his presence known. I didn't catch anything picture worthy this time out just a couple thornbacks and some small rock crabs in the net but relaxing none the less.

a321eric
10-18-2010, 01:49 PM
good to see hear they are out there checking. it is a refreshing feeling, i agree. to many times have i seen people doing illegal stuff or fishing without license...etc...im not one to go tell on them or tell them to stop doing what they are doing wrong, so i just leave it as it is. i believe in karma and will keep to myself. they're wronging doing will catch up with them eventually.

Swank909
10-18-2010, 03:27 PM
It's great to hear about DFG making their rounds. They've definitely made their precense known with the beginning of lobster season, I just wish there were more wardens to go around.

Nice try down at Newport, it's a nice pier and like you said, it's very relaxing. How was the mackerel bite?

murrieta angler
10-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the report 5150.
I keep the DFG # in my phone.
Robert

5150fishn
10-18-2010, 04:46 PM
I wasn't fishing for macks but those that were had decent quantities on sabiki's.

smokehound
10-18-2010, 05:58 PM
That's awesome. The last time i saw a warden on the pier was about.. three years ago?

He busted a few people with over-limits on YFC and BSP.

MACKERAL KING
10-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Dude i was out there that night too.... But i got the major skunk. In the morning i caught a small bass and star fish off a dock near the jettie

Ifishtoolittle
10-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Alright the DFG has finally checked some heavily poached spots. Now if they can only go to Long Beach.

Darius
10-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Hopefully some day I'll be a Warden, I'll be glad to serve.

TaperSteve
10-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Wonder what the service dog was for? Were they looking for bugs-of-mass-destruction or bug smugglers?

TS

laznbboi
10-20-2010, 04:41 PM
How late the Newport pier open? Thanks!

5150fishn
10-20-2010, 04:59 PM
How late the Newport pier open? Thanks!
The pier hours are until midnight but sometimes the cops don't give you the boot until 1 or 2:00 a.m. It just depends on how busy they are with other stuff.

Optimist
10-20-2010, 07:17 PM
How much is the parking at the pier parking lot? $6?

5150fishn
10-20-2010, 07:43 PM
How much is the parking at the pier parking lot? $6?
The pay meters at Newport are free after 6:00 p.m.

5150fishn
10-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Dude i was out there that night too.... But i got the major skunk. In the morning i caught a small bass and star fish off a dock near the jettie
At least you shook the skunk off the next morning!

laznbboi
10-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Thank you! 5150 fishn.

goodtimes101
10-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Yeh out here in goleta we need more dfg around, I see poachers all day and when people call in they dont come in time

5150fishn
10-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Yeh out here in goleta we need more dfg around, I see poachers all day and when people call in they dont come in time
These wardens are unfortunatly spred too thin. Too much ground to cover for each one. Like I said before
I hit this pier quite often and haven't seen a warden in about 5 years. Hopefully this will change but I have
been known to strongly advise fishermen if I see some shady stuff going on and if they don't listen to me then there is always CalTip but you usually don't get a response from them in time to catch them at it. But you have to try everything you can.

Fish Dog
10-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Wonder what the service dog was for? Were they looking for bugs-of-mass-destruction or bug smugglers?

TS

Good guess...

Warden to poacher - "What, you don't have any lobster?"

Poacher - "No, I didn't catch anything."

Warden - "Funny, the dog's seems to be smelling something in your back pack there."

TaperSteve
10-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Poacher - "Ohh that's the catfood i'm using as bait."

Warden - "Do you think this is my first day on the job? Chomps is a service dog, not a service cat."

Poacher - "Sigh....."

DockRat
10-22-2010, 07:02 AM
These wardens are unfortunatly spred too thin. Too much ground to cover for each one.

I'm calling BS on DFG performance. MAJOR SLACKERS !

I see these guys and they like to sit and go cruising.
They like to sit at launch ramps with the AC on and stare at wifes, girlfriends and daughters.

Do they walk the beat ? Not much.
Redondo pier lobster snaggers, too far to walk.

What about Palos Verdes MPA coming ? Will they walk the trails to write tickets ? :ROFL:

Do they focus on areas with many POACHERS ? No

They can write tickets at the Queen Mary Public Fishing Area everyday but they rarely show up.
I work Pier J and have seen them twice in 5 years.

Need Money ? Get out of the truck and write tickets.

Put me in charge and I'd fire 75% of them.
In a 8 hour day how many hours are they out of there truck and writing tickets ?
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
DR

Seņor.Chilax
10-22-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm calling BS on DFG performance. MAJOR SLACKERS !

I see these guys and they like to sit and go cruising.
They like to sit at launch ramps with the AC on and stare at wifes, girlfriends and daughters.

Do they walk the beat ? Not much.
Redondo pier lobster snaggers, too far to walk.

What about Palos Verdes MPA coming ? Will they walk the trails to write tickets ? :ROFL:

Do they focus on areas with many POACHERS ? No

They can write tickets at the Queen Mary Public Fishing Area everyday but they rarely show up.
I work Pier J and have seen them twice in 5 years.

Need Money ? Get out of the truck and write tickets.

Put me in charge and I'd fire 75% of them.
In a 8 hour day how many hours are they out of there truck and writing tickets ?
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
DR

So So, So So Soo True! Bunch of fat lazy creeps.