PDA

View Full Version : Best bass day at Castaic

string_wise
10-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Not sure how the pics will look but I resized them a bunch to upload them here. Hope they aren't too small.

Got to Castaic at 6:15 or so. Not a lot of boats in line this morning, we were probably 10 deep or so.

Cool, misty, foggy, just right for fishing :LOL:

We went straight for bait today, glass minnows and shad. Filled up the live well with 40 pieces or so but it probably took an hour. I have no netting skills, that's obvious. Mad props to SDDave for being so good at gathering bait and showing us where to fish.

Went to the fishing arm and saw some nice topwater action. I threw the KPN topwater at them but didn't get a bite. I read all the posts on folks killing it with the KPN but I just don't seem to get a lot of action on that lure (it's me, not the lure).

Saw a big fish swirling in the shallows. Grabbed my big rod, St Croix 7' 6", Curado 300E, 10 lb Seaguar Fluoro and a KPN sexy shad rattle trap. I kill with this KPN, by far my most productive.

Didn't want to troll towards the fish so a launched the KPN to the back of the cove. Nothing. Tossed it again and ripped it. Nothing. Couple of guys in a nice Nitro roll in, looking for shad maybe, not sure. Was a little worried they might have spooked the big girl but I made another really long cast all the way to the weeds. 10 feet off the bank and wham, fish on!

Wasn't sure what it was, big stripey or big LMB but I knew it was a big fish. I usually let my boy boat all the fish I catch but this was a pig and I didn't want to risk it.

20 seconds in and this honker LMB does a nice tail dance across the water. Holy Ship! Told Luke to grab the net. He couldn't get the fish net out of storage, told him to grab the shad net and quickly.

My big rig made it nice because I was pretty sure that unless I totally f'd this up, I was going to boat this piggy fish.

Another minute of a fight and we boated this nice 9 pounder in the attached pics. My personal best LMB. I grew up in the midwest and have caught some nice 5-7 pounders but nothing like this. Not a hawg for Castaic, but hey, I'm happy! I didn't retie the KPN and launched it into the depths on my next cast, but I'm not complaining. Always retie after a big fish!

After this my blood was pumping and I decided to help the boy boat some fish. I tied on a #8 red hook weightless and a glass minnow. Flipped it into the weeds, lip hooked, minnow did it's thing and caught a dink. Did this about 5 more times, all dinks, nothing over a pound. Didn't retie even though I should have after so many fish. Hell I just lost my KPN, still not smart enough to retie. :Embarrassed:

I told him to get a big one out of the live well and we lip hooked a 3" minnow.

I tossed it right to where we had been catching dinks and this big minnow did a nice surface breaking swirly swirly move then just stopped. I'm wondering what's wrong with it then all of a sudden from the depths I see a massive fish come up to the minnow...just staring at it with nothing but bad intentions. It's 6" under the surface, it's a freaking hawg, and I told Luke to get ready and handed him the pole as I had just boated my personal best LMB.

This is a St. Croix spinning real with 4 lb mono on it, 5 fish with no retie. :Secret:

This beast just sits under the surface eyeing this minnow. Minnow is frozen, not moving an ounce. All of a sudden this absolute pig of a bass, and I do mean PIG, just inhales the minnow without even rippling the surface. Giant mouth wide open, just a full on inhale.

I told Luke count to three and reel set the fish. Like a 20 year vet, he executes it perfectly.

Fish on!

Not just any fish, waaaaaaaaayyyyy too big of a fish though for a 7 year old with 4 lb mono!

The fish instantly peels off 40ft of line and nearly peels my son off of our boat. Rod tip is probably 2+ feet under the water and the fish is still taking line.

It heads to the the weeds but then almost magically turns away and heads right towards the boat. I'm thinking YES!

Luke's reeling up slack like a pro, tip up, not too high, keeps the tension on the line. I grab the net, the shad net of course :Rolls Eyes:, he's 10ft off the front of the boat and coming right at us.

Super light drag, ultra light 7 year old (he's 50 lbs dripping wet), the fish goes completely under the boat and right out the other side...no time to run around the end of the boat as this is a FAST mover...too fast in fact...snap.

Game over. :Sad:

We got to see this leviathan up close and personal twice. Once on the minnow slurp and once as he hauled *** under the boat.

How big? Don't know, but with a fresh memory of what a Socal 9 lbr looks like, I'd say quite a bit bigger. 20? No way. 15? doubt it. 12? Maybe. Bigger? Hate to guess. BIG though, really damn big.

We caught 21 LMB total today. A lot in the 1-2 lb size, not a single striper.

2 giants, one made it to the land of digital photos and one didn't. All were CNR though the big'n made it to the live well until I could find the camera and take pics.

What a great day...made some real memories out there. I didn't want to leave. If not for baseball practice and the fact the lake closes at 6:30, we'd still be out there.

Thanks for reading :Envious:

SDDave
10-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Sweet...... I'm stoked for you guys I'm lost for words right now, and you know that's rare.
Way to go guys, You smoked them.
Dave and Luke, you guys rock

roby
10-16-2010, 08:41 PM
The pic of your son is great...he can barely hold it...haha

radray
10-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Congrats! AWESOME FISH. Definitely a memorable moment. Thank you for sharing. I am excited and really happy for you and Luke. Keep fishing.

string_wise
10-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Dave, we'll get out there again with you soon, looking forward to it. Once we boated it the first thing Luke said was, "We have to send these pics to Dave!" He was just jazzed and wanted to share with you.

One final point. We had been set on chasing boils our last 5-6 times out, mainly because I wanted to put the little man on the easiest fish we could find. Today we just focused on fishing structure, weeds and points mainly. Never chased boils in the center, just single slaps when we saw them if they were close. Otherwise just stuck to the basics. Wouldn't call it a trend but it worked for a day.

hookup90247
10-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Hey String-wise...

Awesome report. That was an awesome fish you caught. I just wish your son could have also boated his fish...that would have made the cover of WON for sure! Get back out there and get that big ol pig for your boy! Great job dad...you've done a great job with your son!

Darin

TaperSteve
10-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Great report!!! Thanx for posting.

TS

string_wise
10-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey String-wise...

Awesome report. That was an awesome fish you caught. I just wish your son could have also boated his fish...that would have made the cover of WON for sure! Get back out there and get that big ol pig for your boy! Great job dad...you've done a great job with your son!

Darin

Thank you, I appreciate that, a lot. We'll keep putting in the time until his personal best is just as big as this one. He's a real trooper and absolutely loves to fish. Every time I tell him we can catch 5 one pounders or 1 five pounder he opts to go for the big one. Today he almost got both and then some. Hard to teach that, it's all "want to." :)

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-19-2010, 05:44 PM
great job on the tubby, congrats, I'll bet your sons eyes were as big as silver dollars when he saw it.....as well as yours !

Nice work !

I'd strongly suggest heavier line with that 1 oz KPN skinny shad, great slay on that sucka...glad ya landed em ok.

I fish it with 15 seaguar religiously ....plus your gonna eventually run into tubby mr stripey and his head shakes are gonna do it a treat...

just a sugestion, It's painful to read about you snapping it off on the cast but either way it earned you a trophy fish you won't soon forget !

Congrats and keep that kid on the water (not that you'd be able to stop him after watchin dad slay a peeg !)

way ta go,
Gary

socal_rob
10-20-2010, 03:42 PM
hey thats awesome, i went to castaic the other day and the bass where blowing up like krazy on those minnows. caught a few but wasn't anything over 2lb. hey how is that 7'6 st.croix rod? i was thinking about getting one.

BassHunter1979
10-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Holy crap! I got excited just reading it. Nicely done! I have to get my own boat and figure out how the hell to net my own bait. That is the ticket! I'll be at DVL on Friday, I'll see if I can match that. Get job! COngrats!

MichelleBedore
10-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Great story and pix! Thanks for posting. I suppose I should learn about live bait, hehe... Also, thanks for the re-tie tip. I didn't know about that...not that I have been catching anything big, but I'll store that knowledge away for future reference. :)

string_wise
10-20-2010, 09:25 PM
great job on the tubby, congrats, I'll bet your sons eyes were as big as silver dollars when he saw it.....as well as yours !

Nice work !

I'd strongly suggest heavier line with that 1 oz KPN skinny shad, great slay on that sucka...glad ya landed em ok.

I fish it with 15 seaguar religiously ....plus your gonna eventually run into tubby mr stripey and his head shakes are gonna do it a treat...

just a sugestion, It's painful to read about you snapping it off on the cast but either way it earned you a trophy fish you won't soon forget !

Congrats and keep that kid on the water (not that you'd be able to stop him after watchin dad slay a peeg !)

way ta go,
Gary

Thanks Gary!

I started with 20 and kept going lighter until I found something that casted well but mainly got me more bites. The 20 wasn't giving me much action, the 15 I probably didn't try long enough, then dropped to the 10 and have stuck with it.

No issues with line shy fish on the 15 eh? Sold!

I'll spool up with it next time.

Thanks!

string_wise
10-20-2010, 09:43 PM
hey thats awesome, i went to castaic the other day and the bass where blowing up like krazy on those minnows. caught a few but wasn't anything over 2lb. hey how is that 7'6 st.croix rod? i was thinking about getting one.

It's a big rod, much meatier than anything else I've ever fished. The guys throwing the 8.5 footers probably laugh at that but it's a beast to me. I love it though. I can throw that 1 oz lure so far with it I just laugh sometimes, it's just awesome to have that option. Great for launching your bait into coves when you don't want to run the boat in there too far (see my post above). I don't feel a lot of wobble with the KPN or similar lures with it which I had to get used to but I have no complaints or regrets. I bought it for the bigger baits that I felt were just abusing my medium heavy 7 footers, no worries with this one. I wouldn't fish plastics with it but I can feel every hit on it with the bigger lures, big rattle traps, big spinner baits, swimbaits etc. with awesome hook setting power. Best big rod I've ever owned, would buy it again no questions asked.

string_wise
10-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Great story and pix! Thanks for posting. I suppose I should learn about live bait, hehe... Also, thanks for the re-tie tip. I didn't know about that...not that I have been catching anything big, but I'll store that knowledge away for future reference. :)

Happy to help! I know better but failed to take my own advice. Probably from all the excitement!

Best of luck!

string_wise
10-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Holy crap! I got excited just reading it. Nicely done! I have to get my own boat and figure out how the hell to net my own bait. That is the ticket! I'll be at DVL on Friday, I'll see if I can match that. Get job! COngrats!

I'm no expert at netting bait. I just notice some nice rash (not too bad, buffed most of it out) I put on the back corner of my boat scraping the rocks chasing shad into tight spots. That's why I didn't want to buy a brand new boat! The boat owners learning curve is a steep one.

There are a lot of more qualified guys here that are the ones to ask for advice. I just spot them, drop the net into the water, wait for them to swim over the net then rip the hell out of the net pulling it out of the water. Not much luck pinning them against the bank, they are fast little boogers.

Good luck at DVL!

RichB
10-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Dude!!! WOW! Beautiful HOGS. Congrats man and to your son. Love the pic of your son.

Rich

stg68
10-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Very good job, guys... Sweet..

kpn
10-22-2010, 07:08 PM
NICE! Dave told me about your fish this morning.
Kudo to you to put your son hook on fishing.
Thanks for your report.

KPN.

Fishthewhaler
11-01-2010, 10:06 PM
i was at that spot a few weeks ago talking to a pro angler there, and the stripers erupted...got the dog on his boat excited and everything, I lost my kpn too. Lost mine @DVL

CIA
11-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Very nice fish ,,, hope some day i can fish Castaic Lake ... Your son picture look cool man ...