PDA

View Full Version : Skinner: what a difference a couple weeks make

P.A.W.
10-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Stripers were easy 2 weeks ago so I was really looking forward to this morning (10-16). Got to the west end early and not One boil :( I hear there was some action on the east end early but I was at the dam of course. Cruised the shoreline looking for LMB on the way back to the east end and the baitfish were really scarce. Lots of dink LMB biting, but it was tough today. I'll be back on Sunday to get revenge. I need more Taco Meat!!!

P.A.W.
10-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Update.... Got my revenge for Saturday. Seems like Mr. Stripey was boiling all over the place. They were really aggressive, but did a lot of lure smacking. My usual Favorite Zara Spook was getting knocked out of the water more than bit. Landed most fish on long segmented shad pattern. When I headed back to the dock around 10:30 there were still some boils showing. Ended up with 6. Love that cloudy weather.

JAG107
10-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the report. I can't wait for trout stocking...I gotta land me a DD striper this season, it would be a first! Got my castaic swimbait all ready to go.

P.A.W.
10-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I hear you man. This next weekend If I can boat just 2 or 3 school sized fish I'm gonna switch to my S-pro just for grins. I have a fair amount of striper meat in the freezer and I'm willing to kill a day to see if any of the big guys are out playing yet.

JAG107
10-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey where do you think would be a good place to start out for stripers at 6am this weekend? I wanna hit it up on Sunday and the past 2 trips the inlet has been dead. Is Ramp 2 good now?

P.A.W.
10-23-2010, 06:45 AM
I'll be there on Sunday as well. I'd say if you get there early then head towards ramp #2 and as you round the point in the south channel just shut down and listen and watch for boils. Last Sunday they were boiling from #2 out into the channel and even into mid-lake. If they are crashing shad it will be from the #2 ramp itself all the way around to swimmer's cove and beyond.

JAG107
10-25-2010, 07:35 PM
How'd you do man? I got skunked, I was in the water at 605, stayed til 10. Saw some guys killing em on the troll north shore between ramp 1 and the inlet. I went to ramp 2, inlet, and all over in between, saw maybe 1 boil all morning. Not many marks on the humminbird, not much action overall, and there seemed to be quite a few more people than usual. Was it just me? I was throwing a 1/2oz blue/chrom kroc for a long time, trolled a 4" castaic swimbait, and had chovies and chicken liver going off and on too.

P.A.W.
10-26-2010, 05:56 AM
I got my top water smacked around a few times but no takers. A guy I know from the lake had 2 big ones in the boat. I ended up drop shotting for LMB at 25' depth and got a few that way. Throughout the day I'd see some boiling and jumping, but nothing dependable. Typical Skinner. Hot one day and cold the next.