PDA

View Full Version : Perris 10/15 Bluegills on Jigs, Worms and Flies

Natural Lefty
10-16-2010, 03:36 PM
I returned to Perris once again yesterday afternoon mostly out of convenience and my parking pass. However, I forgot the parking pass until I was well on my way to the lake -- never mind, I live pretty close to the lake, so I returned home to get the pass, then to the lake. By the time I got there, it was 3:15 p.m.

I wanted to do something at least a bit different, so I decided to go to the launch ramp cove, try for Crappies since I caught one there last time I was there (3 weeks ago), and use some artificials, but I also brought my homegrown redworms plus some leftover nightcrawlers.

I headed down to the west side of the cove, and walked along the peninsula, casting a 1/80th ounce microjig under a bobber on my 2 pound line, but nothing bit. A Vietnamese couple passed by me and settled down near the point. When I went to that area, I saw the man catch one small Bluegill, but that was it. They were using the pointed bobber with split shot and cricket setup that seems so popular and successful for Bluegill fishing among southeast Asians at Perris. On my way back from the point, another Vietnamese couple passed me, and later, I could see all 4 of them fishing together and hear them talking loudly at times in Vietnamese. I only noticed them catch one more fish, but I suppose they caught more than that and seemed to be having a good time.

At this time, there is evidence of some sort of construction at the west launch ramp, but no one was working there at the time. There is an enclosed area with a ring of orange floats around it where the reconstructed launch ramp will be, but no docks yet. Since fish often seem to like launch ramps in my experience, I headed there to give it a try. On my first cast with the jig, sure enough, the bobber submerged and I had a fish on the line. I was hoping for a Crappie, of course, but it turned out to be a smallish Bluegill. I thought about keeping it, but had a change of heart and released it. A moment later, I went to the other side of the enclosed area, had a strike, so I casted to the same place again, and hooked a better size fish. It even pulled some drag on my 2 pound line, and it turned out to be a good size Bluegill, about 8 inches and fat, about the same as the bigger ones I have caught on my last couple of fishing trips. This one was definitely a keeper.

After that, I missed some lighter strikes on the jig, so eventually, I concentrated on using my redworms. I found that there was a concentration of Bluegills all in a small area where I hooked the first one, and most of them were decent size (but not as big as the one I caught on the other side of the enclosed area). I caught 11 fish on redworms in all, all in the same small area of about 5' by 5', keeping seven decent size ones. Included in the catch was also a tiny bass, and I caught another baby bass on the jig as well. Eventually, my redworms had run out. I tried nightcrawler pieces here and there, but the fish didn't seem to be going for them, and by the time the redworms ran out, the sun was behind the hill, so I was thinking about using flies. However, I didn't see any fish surfacing. There were tiny white flies, but no midges around.

At that time, I decided to go to the middle launch ramp and fish from the docks, but just as I was about to go and it was starting to get dark, swarms of midges suddenly appeared, and fish began surfacing hungrily all over the area, as if the dinner bell had just been rung. I quickly took off my jig from my 2 pound line, and replaced it with the same Mosquito I had used last time. Over about the next half hour, I caught 11 Bluegills on the fly. They were a bit lacking in size, but it was fun. I wound catching one keeper among the bunch and losing another one that felt good size.

After it got dark the midges went away and the fish stopped surfacing, but since I was still curious about the fishing from the launch ramp docks, I headed over there for a bit. I wasn't really expecting anything, but was hoping for something bigger with nightcrawler pieces on my 6 pound line behind a split shot. At first nothing bit, but after about 15 minutes, I had a steady bite, set the hook, and had a decent bend in the rod. Then the fish went airborne about 3 times which told me it was a bass, not the large panfish or catfish I was hoping for. Anyway, I landed it, found it was not that big, only about 11 inches, so I released it, thought about continuing, but decided that was a good way to end my trip, so I headed home. It was about 7:15 at that time.

The trip totals were:

2 Bluegills on jigs (1 kept which was the largest one caught);
10 Bluegills on redworms (7 kept);
11 Bluegills on Mosquito pattern behind a bobber (1 kept);
3 Bass all released, including a baby on redworms, another baby on the jig, and the 11 incher on a nightcrawler piece.

That's quite a few fish when all totalled up (26) and the weather was great, too.

skunked again
10-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks N Lefty, nothing like a relaxing evening of action. I'll be up there on Tues morn, in search of the big one.

stepchild
10-16-2010, 07:39 PM
nice report,wtg on the on the variety

Natural Lefty
10-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Good luck skunked again. It's strange I haven't been catching any Redears. Maybe you will.

stepchild, they were all Bluegills and a few Bass, but they were biting on a variety of lures and baits, for sure.

sumojo
10-16-2010, 08:53 PM
nice job fishing there

Natural Lefty
10-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Definitely lots of "catching" going on yesterday for me.

bassgrabber1
10-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Great job Lefty!!

Natural Lefty
10-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks Bassgrabber, actually I have some more panfish catching techniques using flies that I was thinking of trying on Friday, but didn't get around to -- maybe next time. With the weather cooling down I'm not sure whether or not they will work, but I will report on it if I try it.

Too bad I didn't run into you out there. I guess you went the next day.

castle
10-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Maybe they bluestoned it again?

bassgrabber1
10-17-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm sure we will run into eachother one of these weekends Lefty. Castle...as far as bluestoning...it still hasn't showed up on thebanks as far as I can tell. Usually when they bluestone, there is all the dying algae and moss floating to the surface but the lake seems clear...hmmm

skunked again
10-17-2010, 11:32 PM
parks and wildlife staff said they did a light bluestoning this time.

Natural Lefty
10-18-2010, 10:46 AM
They must not have put much copper sulfate in the water this time, since it never affected the fishing and did not have any visible effects, so we got lucky this time.

Hopefully the fishing will hold up for us, Bassgrabber.

carpanglerdude
10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
I fished Perris on the 17th (Sunday) cold and wet, only one small bass. Good job out there!

bassgrabber1
10-18-2010, 02:58 PM
They must not have put much copper sulfate in the water this time, since it never affected the fishing and did not have any visible effects, so we got lucky this time.

Hopefully the fishing will hold up for us, Bassgrabber.

I hope it does to Lefty....I'll let you know how it goes this Thursday.

Natural Lefty
10-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Bassgrabber, I am thinking of going somewhere else this week, but we shall see. As much as my wife and I like eating Bluegills, it gets a bit tiresome after a while, especially picking through the bones and scales I missed from the bigger ones which I gutted and scaled for her because she likes them that way. :EyePop: She doesn't mind picking through the bones the way most people do; she even sucks on their heads, but personally, I would rather not have bones and scales in my mouth. I filleted the medium and smaller keepers though.

Natural Lefty
10-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Carpanglerdude, didn't mean to ignore you. I would suggest trying for panfish, mainly Bluegills, maybe Redears, possibly Crappies at Perris if you want to catch good numbers of fish, although I did catch 3 small Bass by accident on Friday. I think the rainy weather may be suppressing the bite at the moment, too. It's been like the Great Drizzle of 2010 these past few days, and it's supposed to rain more heavily tommorow into Wednesday.

bassgrabber1
10-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Bassgrabber, I am thinking of going somewhere else this week, but we shall see. As much as my wife and I like eating Bluegills, it gets a bit tiresome after a while, especially picking through the bones and scales I missed from the bigger ones which I gutted and scaled for her because she likes them that way. :EyePop: She doesn't mind picking through the bones the way most people do; she even sucks on their heads, but personally, I would rather not have bones and scales in my mouth. I filleted the medium and smaller keepers though.

Where are you going?? I never eat anything that I catch from the lakes around here...only from the ocean. Are bluegills really good?? I heard that they are the best tasting fish from fresh water...I always thought it was trout but most people say no that it's Gillies. I might have to whoop out ft 7' cherrywood berkley and catch some gillies and red ears at Perris this Thursday while I fish for bass.

skunked again
10-18-2010, 08:13 PM
As much as my wife and I like eating Bluegills, it gets a bit tiresome after a while, especially picking through the bones and scales I missed from the bigger ones which I gutted and scaled for her because she likes them that way. :EyePop: She doesn't mind picking through the bones the way most people do; she even sucks on their heads, but personally, I would rather not have bones and scales in my mouth. I filleted the medium and smaller keepers though.

Lefty, here's a tip if you do not like scales and skin. Skin the fish like a catfish. Take a scalpal, razor or box cutter and cut the skin at the edge around the fish. Pull off the skin with a plier. This saves a lot of meat. Fry the fish whole. When fried well, the bones crunch. I do not prefer to make this becuase of the time involved but it goes delicious with my moms recipe. If you want it let me know.

SA

carpanglerdude
10-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Lefty, I usually target the 'gills at Perris, I have much more luck with them instead of bass there, lol. Dry flies behind a clear bobber.

jmp_fishinn
10-18-2010, 09:36 PM
nice report!
makes me want to go to perris again! it's been awhile.
i've always done pretty good with bass there! maybe i should go thursday
and fish for a bit after my midterm :LOL::Rolls Eyes:

bassgrabber1
10-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Come join usJMP....we should be there at around 2ish.

jmp_fishinn
10-18-2010, 10:11 PM
forsure man!
i might see you guys out there.
if i do go, ill have a red backpack on. cant miss it! (tall asian guy!)
hahah.

bassgrabber1
10-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Sounds good.....we usually hit the boat launch area and the Ranger Dock.

Natural Lefty
10-19-2010, 11:55 AM
How did this thread get so many replies? It's nice that it has, however that happened.

Skunkedagain, I am thinking of asking my wife about skinning the gutted fish next time. We'll see what she says, but she is stubborn and a wee bit eccentric.

Bassgrabber, I don't know where I will go, or if my wife will need help with her remodelling project this week, in which case I may not be able to go. I was thinking of possibly Opaleye fishing in Oceanside, but not sure if they are still there. Bluegills are very good to eat. They even sell them (last I checked, Florida strain ones like at Perris but hatchery grown in Florida) at a fish market here in MoVal. I like Redears even better, and Crappies too, but Bluegills are really good.

If pollution is a concern about eating freshwater fish, most freshwater places in California are pretty clean and unpolluted, but some places have pollution problems. Perris and other local lakes and streams are okay pollution wise, some better than others. The most polluted lakes and streams in California are some of the ones around the bay area. The sierra high country of course, has super clean water. The ocean is a similar situation; some places are really clean, but others around urban or industrial areas or the bay area have major pollution problems.

carpanglerdude, same here, I like to fish dry flies behind a bobber for Bluegills or other panfish at Perris and other places. The only difference is that I usually put on a colorful little clip on bobber when using flies for panfish. They don't seem to be bothered by the presense of that type of bobber, although the clear ones also work.

jmp_fishinn, go for it!

tree
10-19-2010, 12:38 PM
nice report!
makes me want to go to perris again! it's been awhile.
i've always done pretty good with bass there! maybe i should go thursday
and fish for a bit after my midterm :LOL::Rolls Eyes:

I go fishing after class. come join us.