PDA

View Full Version : Duct, Finding My Way Home

yolo
10-16-2010, 08:45 AM
This will be a multifaceted report.

Report 1:
Thursday night I made a decision to go to BPS to return a reel that I am not happy with. With that in mind, I figured I would venture and hit many spots along the far east branch from Pearblossom to Hesperia and then swing down to BPS after.

The mission started on Friday morning. i was on the road by 6:00am. Hit my first spot out by 160E and work it for a bit and nothing. As I am pulling out of there and heading further east I get a text from MarineMichael "if I'm fishing". I reply yes and that I am going to BPS after working my way the entire far east end. He wants to go so we decide to meet in Littlerock and take one car. I drive back 10 miles to Littlerock and we head back out. I'm going in circles lol.

We hit every conceivable spot from Pearblossom to Hesperia and there is absolutely nothing to speak of. No biters, no followers, no smackers, no visuals no nothing. The most depressing part of it all was that there was no signs of life either. Back home, you can see silversides, perch, sculpin in key locations. Here there was nothing in the water at the same type of key locations. Flow was good at 3/4 open. No moss.

So after the mission we go to BPS and return my reel and I pick up a few items. We head home and I drop off Mike at his car that he had left in Littlerock. We're ready to part ways and go home but Mike wants to make one quick local stop. I'm tired and burned out but I agree. Didn't take much arm twisting, lol. So we hit one local spot and within 5 casts I'm hooked up and battling a very fiesty, tough fish. Land it, snap a quick pic and release it to be caught again.

Here is a shot of it.
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-15-10/Duct10-15-10_1.jpg

What a relief it was to kill that massive skunk. It was a home turf fish that did it. Of course there were tiny silversides around so there is life in the Littlerock, Palmdale, Lancaster and Neenach sections of the duct which I consider my home stomping grounds. So yes I found my way home and was welcomed back with a catch and the fish was rewarded with a release.

Report 2:

Driving home from the all day mission, I get a text from ferno wanting to go fishing. Once again it did not take much arm twisting and we decided to meet up around 6:30pm. I quickly went home to shower and eat and headed right back out the door. We hit first spot for a bit and nothing for some time and then as we were thinking of moving, ferno hooks up on the KPN. It is a strong fighter and is making some hard charges. They battle it out for a few minutes and it is landed. A very healthy and nice specimen of 8 to 9 lbs. Quick pic is taken as ferno goes to the truck for his phone and it is released. We work it for a little more and nothing.

Ferno's fish
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-15-10/Duct10-15-10_3.jpg

We move not too far up the road and I quickly get hooked up and and doing my battle. Some give and take and it is landed. Smaller than ferno's fish. Probably 5 to 6 lb. I snap a quick BlackBerry pic and off it goes as it is released. A few minutes later I get another hit but miss. Keep working it in and bam again but this time it is on. I'm battling it and it's an extraordinary fighter. I have been using my striper slaying set up lately and it has been working but it is also the striper elbow set up that is the gift that keeps on giving for me. I have to support the rod with my right hand as this fish is really working me and my left elbow. Ferno is back at the truck again and looks out to see me struggling. Asks if I have one on and I respond yes and it is kickin' my butt. I'm sure the 12 hours of casting prior to that didn't help either nor the prior hook up just minutes ago. Anyway we battle back and forth and I land it. It is slightly larger than the previous catch and probably around 6 to 7 lbs. Both of my fish were caught on the soft jerkbait.

1st fish
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-15-10/Duct10-15-10_2.jpg

2nd fish
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-15-10/Duct10-15-10_4.jpg

We stick around for a little longer but nothing else there. We move on to the next spot. Ferno on his 2nd toss out gets slammed hard. The fish just runs to the middle and makes a huge splash and runs staright down flow and it will not slow down. Unfortunately it ran under a buoy line and there was no stopping it. Ferno held on until it cut the line and off it went with his lucky KPN. He has caught a lot of fish on that one lure. I told him not to worry cause he got his money's worth out of it. Although we will never know how big it was for sure, it was definitely a good one. We were going to release it too but didn't want to release it that early. We work this spot a while longer but nothing. It was time to call it quits as we had both beaten the skunk (me for the 2nd time in one day) .

What a day but in the end it was all good. Did I say I love the duct? Yes I do but I think I love the AV duct actually.

Swank909
10-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Great 12 hour session Yolo! Some good looking jailbirds in those photos :P

Did I say I love the duct? Yes I do but I think I love the AV duct actually.
ahahahahaahha

Bassnman Mike
10-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Great job as always Z!!

BassHunter1979
10-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Good job as usual boyz!

tpfishnfool
10-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Nice effort.. I hit the duct at 60th west and walked to the water plant syphon for nada.. No bait, no nothing.. Very strange. conditions are primo.
1/2 flows, no moss and little weeds. maybe need to try bait but hate the bait....

HaiTheMeister
10-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Did I say I love the duct? Yes I do but I think I love the AV duct actually.
LOL. I can tell even if you didn't say it.
Must be nice to live close by it.
Great job!

kpn
10-18-2010, 12:12 PM
That's a long day Z.
Great job guys.

KPN.

bouncer
10-18-2010, 12:31 PM
so is this why i havent caught anything haha cuz i live in littlerock and always fish from 72nd down to pearblossom.

fishinone
10-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Nice catch Yolo,

and Ferno too.

It's hard to beat fishing in your stomping grounds.

yolo
10-18-2010, 02:43 PM
That's a long day Z.
Great job guys.

KPN.

Our 3 released fish look just like the 3 you and Hai caught the night after. :Wink:

NooB SaBass
10-18-2010, 10:21 PM
so is this why i havent caught anything haha cuz i live in littlerock and always fish from 72nd down to pearblossom.

Man Maybe thats why I havn't either?! I always fish Littlerock South back twards Hisperia for 0, no silversides, no sculpin, great flow, just no fish....
Think I'll head further North and give it a go... :Envious:

thepuma
10-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Awesome post Yolo. Glad to see you are still hitting the Duct on a regular basis. I may just take the Penny Dawg out tonight for some exercise myself. It has been a long time since I've haunted this board. Nice to see some of the same folks still involved. I may even have to post my results as well.

yolo
10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Go get em. The micros are thick out your way. Just need to downsize the presentation and hooks.

Hitts0n
10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
great job out there !