PDA

View Full Version : coachella canal report

P1M
10-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Ok I'm getting better. I have been maybe a half dozen times and have always caught something. Finally found some small mouth bass. They where maybe a pound in size and fun to catch. Last night went with 2 buddies going for cat. They where using night crawlers and I was using chicken liver. I was getting bites like crazy however; I need a better way to keep the liver on the hook. I did land a nice 2 pound channel cat. My buddies didn't get a single bite on the crawlers.

Bird dog
10-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for reporting.Good to hear that you're finding steady action out there.Have you tried any parts of the canal toward the Salton Sea? Just curious if any of that portion is still open to fish...

P1M
10-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks for reporting.Good to hear that you're finding steady action out there.Have you tried any parts of the canal toward the Salton Sea? Just curious if any of that portion is still open to fish...

Ya I found a good spot in Northshore that I plan on hitting up again

oatums
10-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Becarefull out there, I got a ticket for off roading. $375 is not cheap, and I haven't been back to that area to fish since that happen.

sweetfish
10-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Suggestions on keeping the liver on the hook:

Cut off some pantyhose and put the liver in the cutout pantyhose. Tie the hose off and rubberband to the shaft of the hook or tie it to the hook.

DesertFishen3
10-18-2010, 05:27 PM
I have had some really big flatheads from the Y in northshore area(mostly on live bluegills caught from the same area). and caught about 3 or 4 smallmouth bass over 4lbs from the same area on flukes in a brown color with green tail.

Katnip
10-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Ok I'm getting better. I have been maybe a half dozen times and have always caught something. Finally found some small mouth bass. They where maybe a pound in size and fun to catch. Last night went with 2 buddies going for cat. They where using night crawlers and I was using chicken liver. I was getting bites like crazy however; I need a better way to keep the liver on the hook. I did land a nice 2 pound channel cat. My buddies didn't get a single bite on the crawlers.

Pull the elastic from your socks , it binds without cutting . Hands down best thing ta use that you can't buy. But ya get a ton of em at Christmas .

P1M
10-19-2010, 01:20 PM
I have had some really big flatheads from the Y in northshore area(mostly on live bluegills caught from the same area). and caught about 3 or 4 smallmouth bass over 4lbs from the same area on flukes in a brown color with green tail.

I think I was at one of the Y's that are numbered. That was a great spot but had wrong gear with me. I did manage one small flat and figured there had to be bigger.

The liver thing is kinda a pain and figure out I have been having good luck with shrimp and it stays on better.

Thanks for all the advise! I'm glad everyone has been quite about their secrete spots because I have had a blast exploring and finding my own!

horgaszapacban
10-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Get a spool of sewing thread, color does not matter, but I use the one similar to the liver. Start with wrapping it around the hook shank a couple of times, then put the liver on, then wrap it around with the sewing thread, finished on the hook shank, simply tear it, and you're good to go.

smokehound
10-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Get a spool of sewing thread, color does not matter, but I use the one similar to the liver. Start with wrapping it around the hook shank a couple of times, then put the liver on, then wrap it around with the sewing thread, finished on the hook shank, simply tear it, and you're good to go.That's what I do too. It also works well for mussel that has been frozen.

fullstringer
10-20-2010, 06:49 PM
I could be wrong but if your near city limits they are really enforced,I never had any problems,highline canal,coachella canal around Calipatria going to the border.

Joe

Geraldlim
11-02-2010, 10:56 AM
When you talk about the "Y"s, is this what you are talking about?

Sparky70
11-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Any of u guys ever eat at the Y?