PDA

View Full Version : Stripers and Bass busting hard WFO top water10/14

SDDave
10-14-2010, 07:39 PM
With all this heat the lake was due to pop again, launched around 2:30 and ramp looked like pea soup W/chunks
Said Hi to Oscar, told him how nice the water looked, he said he had to go in it twice to do something, must have been something cus I wouldn't want to swim in this crap...
Headed down the fish arm to look around, I threw the punker for awhile to see if the big boys wanted to play yet, nothing going...
Worked my way down the lake, looked in a cove and saw a couple of fish break the surface, said to myself, here we go, got out two top water rigs and a rip bait, Zara Spooks with rattles, the rattles help in this dirty water,
started tossing the rip bait in open water, no takers, then the cove went WFO !!! striper's were chasing bait up on the banks, open water boils, tossed the white plug, I'm on, got that fish in the boat, grabbed the other rod with the chrome bait on and pop pop pop walking the bait and I'm on again, I'm thinking, do i want to keep these fish and have all my neighbors running from me cause I pass out to much from the time before, screw it I'm killing striper's tonight...
Slay slay.... so much fun watching these fish hit at the bait time after time knocking it into the air only to do it again, then to stick em the next time, I work my way all the way back into the cove and saw the bass in the back pushing bait around, first cast, bam, 3 pounder largie, I take time out to call my friend back and tell him whats going on after I had talked earlier and told him the lake was dead and it was time to head up to Pyramid, all the reports say that all the other lakes, fish are busting on shad, DVL, Pyramid, Piru, Castias, only dog around had been Castaic, no consistency , this is a good sign.. so I left him a voice mail with the sounds of splashes in the background for him to hear and get worked up...
As I came out of the back there was two guys in a Nitro getting in on the action, I talked to them as we fished and told them that the fish had been up for over a hour and a half before they showed up, these guys were getting hooked up on casts to the boils, I was still casting to open water and fish were still coming up and hitting the plugs,
Final count in all the mayhem, two plugs with bent hooks, 6 reties, limit of striper's taken, 4 largies released, Headed in on the last call from the lifeguards at 6:12 lake Closes at 6:30 they were saying.
Got to the ramp, yelled over to two guys who had been fishing the dam for no luck and asked if they wanted some fish, Yes was the answer, hooked them up with all ten fish, talked to them, told them that I guide, Got to get the Plug in anyway I can, they were stoked, no ice chest so they just tossed them in the back of the pick up and headed home to start cutting, nice guys I hope they give me a call and come fish with me...
No pictures of fish tonight, Action was to hot to stop and take cell phone pics... Did get a nice Sunset pic I'll share...
For anyone wanting to get out for the late evening or earlier morning bite thats if this holds up, I running end of the year specials... It's fishing not always catching, but if this holds up, nows the time, so for all you folks wanting to fish the top water walk the dog style nows the time... Once the plants start, the lunker punkers are coming out as are all the swimbait sticks, so those trips are going to be go big or go home...But hopefully some Double Digit fish...http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/f0362eda.jpg

Btbdodgers
10-14-2010, 08:10 PM
good stuff Dave! i must of been in the wrong spots today, completely dead for me

SDDave
10-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Sent you a PM

DEADROOTS
10-14-2010, 08:49 PM
good stuff Dave! i must of been in the wrong spots today, completely dead for me

X2

I only got 2.

SDDave
10-14-2010, 08:57 PM
thanks, Got lucky right place right time.

MonsterGuppy
10-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Nice report Dave, good to see they have turned on again,,

Fire Ball
10-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Awesome report Dave! I'm probably going to take the boat out tomorrow after school (since I get out early tomorrow) and try and find some boils. Hopefully it will be a good choice to go to the Upper Lake instead of the Goon.. :Twisted:

MichelleBedore
10-15-2010, 01:10 AM
I love reading your reports :) Thanks for always taking the time to share your experiences. End of year specials, huh? Hmmmmmm :Fishing Catch:

radray
10-15-2010, 02:10 AM
Way to go Dave. Nice to hear that you found them. I was getting excited reading your report. I love top water action. I can never get enough of it.

fishinone
10-15-2010, 10:08 AM
thanks, Got lucky right place right time.

I'm happy to hear that you got in them.

hookup90247
10-15-2010, 01:22 PM
I am a total amateur on the lake and yet I've been fishing it for 30 years or more! hahahahahaha. I appreciate guys like you who are able to take folks out fishing and TEACH them how to do it on their own. My experience with fishing guides is that you guys are actually out there to educate the new/novice angler so that they are better prepared when fishing without you. That impresses the heck out of me. I would bet that the pressure of guiding someone on the lake is 10 times harder than going out for some fun fishing. I applaud you and hope your year end goes well.

To anyone who is even thinking of taking Dave out as a guide...don't hesitate. His knowledge of the lake as well as the fish can only be had by spending time on the water the way he does. Stop wasting time and money hunting down the fish...get with a quality guide like him and have him teach you the ins and outs.

Good Luck Dave and tight lines everyone!

Darin

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-15-2010, 02:41 PM
congrats on the the late day slay, thats seems to be the pattern of late...

Nice work....way ta go..

Gotta find dem fishies....and it seems to happen when ya find the active zones...

Many fish all over town there but not all will switch on for you, nice when ya get em switched on..

Congrats,
Gary

SDDave
10-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Some days you get them other days you don't, this was a good evening, As I said, time on the water helps, Castaic this year has been very very inconsistent, the conditions, natural and man made, mostly the man made kind, are just throwing this Lake off, We gets some banner years but this just hasn't been one of them, raising and lowering the water level as they've done this year has just tore this lake a new one... People ask me why this lake is so hard to fish, some think it fishing pressure, that has a little to do with it, but it's all the MWD's opening and closing the faucet that has killed us this year.
Bait Bait Bait, Fish rely on threadfinshad and some of the other small fin fish in the lake, but if you causes adverse conditions that do very little to help the shad population, this is what you can expect, these striper's and bass should be busting in the morning busting in the evening busted for supper time....but no....
no bait no busting.
It bit good last night, tonight one or two boils at closing, in the morning same thing, fish came up and went back down just as fast. The bass bit OK on the drop shot and was easy to pattern, but no bait on the shoreline.
The reports for all the other lakes that have striper's, DLV, Pyramid, Skinner, Silver wood, has them going off, and the one thing they have in common is SHAD.... cause they don't jack the water up and down, weed lines get established, the bait has a place to go, yeah I know you might say that pyramid raises and lowers water level, but with Castaic it just kills the fishing....
Going to make a re-con run up to Pyramid Saturday, and if is the way I think it will be I'm going to start running some guide trips up there until Castaic shows some consitency...
Rant over....

ThatKidCASH
10-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah Dave!
Awesome report as usual, can't wait to get back out. Once midterms are over, I'll definitely see you out there buddy.