PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Sprectra line?

Charlie Allen
10-13-2010, 08:18 PM
I hear it is super strong, ties easy, casts well and has no memory (does not twist on a spinning reel). I hear 20lbs test is no thicker than 6lbs mono. Is this all a sales pitch or is the stuff worth $32 for a 300yd spool?

JapanRon
10-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi Charlie Allen,

Yep worth it. Used it for the last 3~4 years PowerPro Phantom Red 30lb test ONLY for conventional reels on all my SW setups.

Stretching its' use. Divide into two 150 yard (450 feet) lengths. I divide them into thirds but that's another story. Also .... when the front end starts to wear .... reverse the braid on the spool for a brand new line !! $32 for 4 years use on two or three outfits is cheap !!

JapanRon

Swank909
10-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Braid is expensive but saves you money in the long run. Use it as a backing and you'll never to to do a full respool again. Only issue with braid is its a pain to untangle (near impossible) and can cut you pretty bad. :P

xjdesertfox
10-13-2010, 09:23 PM
also, use something other than powerpro, powerpro is on the lowend of spectra brands. Get yourself some izorline, cortland, or JB. Powerpro gets torn up fast.

i have spectra on EACH AND EVERY one of my rods, even my freshwater spinning dropshot rod uses 10lbs spectra.

Jackpot Jimmy
10-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Recently I have started using what some may call a "stealth rig" for structure sand bass fishing - that is, spectra filled almost all the way with a short top shot of heavy mono (for structural purposes)...much better than using mono in the structure and you can feel every bump and rut of the reef. However, the spectra I have been using is now about three years old, and is still holding up quite well.

tailchaser1
10-15-2010, 06:45 AM
also, use something other than powerpro, powerpro is on the lowend of spectra brands. Get yourself some izorline, cortland, or JB. Powerpro gets torn up fast.

i have spectra on EACH AND EVERY one of my rods, even my freshwater spinning dropshot rod uses 10lbs spectra.

Curious....How is it that you determine Powerpro is the "lowend?" All braids can get torn up if fished under certain structures. The amount of "carriers" used by Power Pro is the same and in some instances more then what other brands use during the weaving process.

greyghost
10-16-2010, 07:38 PM
power is not the lower end spectra, don't know where you got that, izor is a little thicker,
yes it is worth it, alot more guys are using it just like jimmy said, short top shots, i've had power pro on all my setups, never had a failure, haven't changed one of them in 6 years,, and i do fish alot.....

bsp
10-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Powerpro is a 4 carrier braid for the standard solid line, Toray, Suffix, and Daiwa all make braid with more carriers. They are pricier, but I feel as if their higher performance outweighs the higher price. Powerpro works (i've got it on my Curado 300), but I definitely would purchase higher end braids if you can afford them. I'm currently using some Nitlon Cover stage I purchased at Performance tackle, and that stuff is bomb. It casts incredibly well, has no memory, and just handles all around really well. Pretty much the ideal braid for me. Powerpro is great if you just need backing or are running topshots long enough that you never cast the braid, but if you are bass or surf fishing invest in something a little more expensive. I just hated casting 30lb powerpro since it's pretty waxy and stiff initially. After it softens up the lighter Powerpro tends to dig in. Just not a fan of it all around if you are casting it all day in the lighter varieties. 65lb and 80lb work well though, and I've used them without problems. Izor and Jerry Brown make good braid too.

xjdesertfox
10-17-2010, 12:28 PM
For those of you asking about why powerpro is lowend, do some searching on spectra, there's been NUMOROUS stress analysis of the fibers and coatings all over the internet comparing it to other spectras, it will fray in about half the time izor or cortland will.

Its also the exact reason why some well known stores refuse to even carry powerpro.

I won't touch non spectra braid again after the few that I've tried, I only use braids with spectra fiber.

Charlie Allen
10-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Spooled up two spinning reels with Spectra 30lbs. Amazing stuff as the 30 is about the same size as the 8lbs mono I took off. One small reel on a VERY light duty rod that I use with Rapala style lures. The other on a medium duty rod I use with a Krocidile. The Rapala works fine, no twist or knots. The Kroc is waaaaay tough on this line, knots up easily. I believe the line is to limp for this action lure. Swapped reels and got the same results. I realize you have to really pay attention with this line, watch the bail and keep the line tight.
Any imput as to this issue??

xjdesertfox
10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
are you using a topshot? or braid straight to the lure? im assuming spinning gear?

greyghost
10-18-2010, 09:01 PM
you can go up and down with this subject,, i also read all the test that come out out just about everything, i don't care what test results say,, i mostly go by what happens to my gear when i use it, reels, mono, spectra etc.... like i said i've never had any problems with power pro at all, casting or what ever...everyone is going to think different about the stuff they use....

xjdesertfox
10-18-2010, 09:14 PM
you can go up and down with this subject,, i also read all the test that come out out just about everything, i don't care what test results say,, i mostly go by what happens to my gear when i use it, reels, mono, spectra etc.... like i said i've never had any problems with power pro at all, casting or what ever...everyone is going to think different about the stuff they use....

I dont have a problem with powerpro either, i actually use it on my dropshot setup since izor doesnt offer a 10lbs size. But im merely stating that it wont last as long, or be as abrasion resistent as izor, cortland or JB

Charlie Allen
10-19-2010, 07:52 AM
are you using a topshot? or braid straight to the lure? im assuming spinning gear?

Thanks for the reply. No on the top shot, braid to the lure with a swivel.

greyghost
10-19-2010, 02:00 PM
good thread.....

bsp
10-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Dont go with power pro then. Seriously check out the Nitlon Cover Stage at Performance tackle or Daiwa Samurai for your uses.

greyghost
10-19-2010, 06:19 PM
use it you'll be fine,,,gezzzzzz