PDA

View Full Version : My First "DD" Striper 10/12

DesertFishen3
10-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Well we got in line about 6:30am and once the gate was open at 6:45 it couldnt have been much past 7:00 before we were on the lake. so i really need to say the launch ramp is awesome.

ok so we went around north side of the lake hitting some coves ant trying out some stuff on the boils. 3 casts in and i caught a fat 2lb bass that was an easy 3lbs.(he had to have a pond of shad in his gut. well after catch and release we tried a little more and moved around to try some stripers around the saddle dam. while cruising around i spotted a 2 inch shad dieng on the surface so i netted the little guy and thought i would try him later. well we looked around the inlet and west dam and spotted one of the infamous Stripey boils so we shagged over to give it a shot. they stopped before we could get close but there were tons of bait poppin the top so we tried throwing a few things and i figured i would try the dieing shad. i put it on and dropped it down about 5 ft from the bottom and started tossing a dart. the dart got stuck on the bottom and a guy in another boat says "watch now that your stuck on the bottum there gonna start the boil" well not 10 seconds later my other pole with the shad starts to go bendo and when i pick it up i set the hook twice then my reel started screaming. I handed my dad the pole and started the chase the fish with my trolling motor and wore him out. after landing the fish i grabed the hook with my pliers and with no effort the tiny hook snapped in half. put the fish on the scale and he went 11lbs. my very first DD striper. and he was caught on 6lb test and a light rod. so its not like i was cheating with live bait. lol
threw a few more times and got a 2-3 lb schooly on a fluke and we tried a few more places my Dad got a nice 2-3 lb LMB
we went to the south side of the dam and found some HUGE boils and saw some very large bait fish like 6 inches the striper had them cornered by the launch ramp there and there were hundreds of these larger bait fish. my Dad got a nice 4lb striper from there and when he was gutted there was a surprise(see below). I pulled out my punker lunker 6in shad and tossed it out in a spot with jumping bait fish i turned my head for a second and missed a boil on my lure that scared the crap out of me(HUGE). after that the boils slowed down and we figured we would go.
few lmb and a few striper and my peronal best striper it was a slow but good day. lost aprox $30 in lures on the bottom and a tree.but a good day none the less.

pic of the striper and contents of the 4lb striper stomach (pics of smaller fish well i didnt take those)

here is my big boy

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/four20twister/DSCF0236-1.jpg

here is what was in the stomach of the 4lb and i saw hundreds more trying to survive in the corner

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/four20twister/DSCF0242-1.jpg

sweetfish
10-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Wow congrats on your day.

The last picture is juvenile rainbow trouts. That is great if the holdover are spawing and able to survive. I might have to start throwing my 4 inch triple joint castaic trout.

DesertFishen3
10-13-2010, 01:04 PM
yeah I knew they were rainbows i was just happy to see the holdovers still trying.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-13-2010, 05:40 PM
congrats on your fisrt DD......no turnin back now....welcome to Jailbird Feva' !

Ha ha ha....

Nice job : )

way ta go..

Gary

Thisfool
10-13-2010, 05:45 PM
wow what a great day your first dd stripper and evidence that the trout are making a comeback

congrats on the dd

TroutOnly
10-14-2010, 08:07 AM
the dfg dumped a bunch of fingerlings trout , they dont get they are just chumming the stripers,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
10-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Nice catch desertfishen3!

Big fish on light tackle is fun.

the dfg dumped a bunch of fingerlings trout , they dont get they are just chumming the stripers,,,,,,,,,

Come on Bob, striper have to eat too!:Razz:

TaperSteve
10-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Way to go!

TS

Thisfool
10-14-2010, 11:19 AM

aww i dint know they did that. kinda just broke my heart

M@M
10-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Nice Striper! WTG

kewlwhip
10-14-2010, 08:39 PM
nicee-lol, i remember that shirt with the squirrel,.. congrats!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/four20twister/DSCF0236-1.jpg

Desertfishen2
10-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanx guys we will be hitting it up again tomorrow so we'll let you know how we do

GdHkSet1
10-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Very nice! Congrats on the DD.. keep at it ...eradicate striper!