PDA

View Full Version : I Love The Duct (Another DD)

yolo
10-12-2010, 02:52 PM
This will be a multi report. I wanted to fish Castaic so I decided to try the west ramp. Got there before they opened by a few minutes. Got down to the ramp and started fishing. Was throwing everything I had and not one biter. No stripers were in the area at all. There were some LMB chasing the tiny shad but nothing special. Was there like 3 hours and I finally said enough of this. Drove up to the parking lot and just looked down at the lake looking for any action on the water but after ten minutes, there was nothing. Saw a guy bring a bird in that ate his live shad down on the docks. Everyone was using netted shad. So after all that I decided to take the long way home and work the west side duct back home.

Got to the first spot and on the first cast fish on. Well it was for only like 10 seconds because it got off. I farmed it, lol. A few casts later, hook up again and it too spits it and I farm it. Two in a row is not my srtyle but it happens. Kept working the area and nothing. I make my 2nd stop. After maybe 10 casts I get a follower. I stay and work it for 10 minutes and nothing else so I bail. 3rd spot nothing. Hit 4th spot and nothing. Had a specific 5th spot in mind but something is telling me to go to a spot right before the one I had in mind and I turn off and head there. I walk about an 1/8th mile up flow and on my 5th cast I get smashed. This guy slammed it like a freight train. This one is not getting off. I have my curado righty back and the brace on the striper elbow. It is screaming and pulling like like crazy. It surfaces and I can see it's another good one. Still keeps running down flow and all the way to the other side. I let it do its thing because I have plenty of line on the reel. It slows a bit and I make some progress and it runs again. By now the striper elbow is starting to hurt again. We are battling each other but there is no way this one was going to best me because I was pissed from the previous two that got off. I start to walk down flow with it to keep it in closer proximity and tight line. It almost takes me back to where I parked an 1/8th mile back. I couldn't muscle it in because the old elbow never completely healed so I took it slow and easy and landed the beast. It was a fatty and 30" long. I would say it is about the same weight (13lbs) as the last one I caught that came in at 31" because this one was much fatter. They are definitely thickening up with every outing.

Gates 5/8 to 3/4 open. High water and no moss. The moss is gone so I won't be posting any more on the moss situation. Hit a 4" tube on a fairly light internal head. 10lb test mono on the Curado. Another daytime outing with fish.

I knew I could count on my duct to save the day. I'm done with lakes. I haven't gone lake fishing in probably 10+ years before the past few months. I have no desire to really go when there is such a great fishery like the duct with quality fish and it's FREE.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-12-10/Duct10-12-10_1.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2010-12-10/Duct10-12-10_2.jpg

fishinone
10-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Congratulations on the DD Yolo.

I fished near the West Ramp at lunch today. There was nothing happening.

yolo
10-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Then I am glad I left. I should have left after a half an hour and spent more time at the duct.

fishinfanatic03
10-12-2010, 09:28 PM
hey man i think i saw you at the west ramp today. i was the asian guy in the blue honda. didnt get anything out there either but nice job on the duct fish!

yolo
10-13-2010, 05:52 AM
Yeah that was me. You left fairly quick as I recall. Turns out that was the right move. The two guys netting shad on the dock were catching some LMB just dropping the shad right next to the dock.

cutbait
10-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Nice fish.

Like I said, AV master of all Ductsters

kpn
10-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Congrats on another DD Yolo.
It've been quite sometime I fished up there....I need to make that run, but the lures business keep me at home :LOL:.

KPN.

yolo
10-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Congrats on another DD Yolo.
It've been quite sometime I fished up there....I need to make that run, but the lures business keep me at home :LOL:.

KPN.

Glad to hear business is doing good. If you need some different types of lumber to try for your top water, I have a bunch of different types of kiln dried wood cut offs (scrap) that you can have. I have 1", 1 1/4" and 1 3/4" thickness with random widths and lengths. Let me know if you ever want to experiment and try something different. I have walnut, maple, mahogany, oak, poplar and some tropical hardwoods.

I think you will find success right now at the duct. They are in a biting mood and in many spots.

Nice fish.

Like I said, AV master of all Ductsters

Any word if the moss is gone yet up your way? Since they are biting here it should be the same up there x 10.

M@M
10-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Wow! :Envious: ANOTHER real nice fish, WTG................maybe I'll go today after work for awhile.it's been a LONG time since I've caught anything :Neutral: Maybe todays the day........

yolo
10-14-2010, 06:17 AM
M@M, I sent you a pm. Check it out.

NooB SaBass
10-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Man I need to Head up 2 Bako!