PDA

View Full Version : Castaic with Breez71 Monday 10-11 - Half day

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Hit the upper Monday after a LONG beatdown at San Antonio over the weekend..

Got there late after the long drive back from San Antone…

I think we launched about 11am

Saw “Lowe Boat” from FNN at the docks, he had asked where the fish were and if he could follow me…

I told ‘em go ahead if you like but…
“it’s not likely I’m gonna be able to take you straight to where the fish are !”

They’re scattered about in different zones on any given day….

Ya just gotta fish it hard and find ‘em….takes a while sometimes….

He headed off in another direction…

Hiro and I tooled around looking for a promising area….

1st stop….

Slingin’ topwater….

Hiro did 1st damage with a 2lb LMB
(sorry for no pics today guys, the fish landed were not real huge hogs so we didn’t bother with pics, plus we were beat down as this was our 3rd straight day out in the sun-fishing all day)

Then I got blown up on….

The fish Missed !

Blow up….blow…up….blow up…

Sheesh ! No hookups : (

Are those fish near sighted ?

Dayam !

after 5 blowups with no hookup..

I see a little surface disruption…just a slight wake at best….

not very distinct

almost looks as if there’s a fish swimming very dosile like …

maybe a few inches below the surface, not even100% sure it’s a fish !

I told Hiro that “I’m going for it” !

It seemed to be moving off to the right so I led it off by about 6’……

Twitch…..walk…hop twitch………walk the dog
- I read an article somewhere ! : ) ha ha ha

WHOOSH !

BLOWUP EXTREME !

I think that sucka SWALLOWED my KPN on that strike !

It was EXPLOSIVE !

HooKuP !

Man it was a REAL good unit as he stripped drag for what seemed to go on forever…

I couldn’t stop ‘em !, just playing ‘em out on my light line (10 lb test seaguar)

I “FIGURED” I was in good shape as we were in 38’ of water..

I thought WRONG !

That sucka kept rippin drag as I played ‘em out

I’d gain line and turned ‘em a little only to have all my efforts thwarted as he kept smoking the drag !

I battled on for about 5 minutes !

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

and then all of the sudden I felt ….

Thunk !.....a REAL STRONG SOLID STOP !

Ohhhhhh Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo!

It hunG me up on the bottom…….. A rock I guess ? : (

In 38’ of water from a topwater lure ! to boot
(that’s never happened to me that deep !)

Dayam !

I spent the 1st few minutes holding straight tension on ‘em hoping that she’ll thump out….

Didn’t work…..

Then I spent another 5 minutes with slack line on her hoping she’d swim out (FAIL !)

Then I slowly increased tension and then repeated the whole process again… FAIL !

Finally went out to deeper water and exaggerated my angle reverse of the angle she had hung up……FAIL !

Finally had to beak the fish off AND my KPN Mini shad with it : ( …

my favorite one to BOOT !

So…we fished on……

Pretty slow….working REAL hard…

I hooked up on a LMB……maybe 3lbs….

10 feet from the boat…………shook off : (

Dayam…..

I am STILL on a skunk !.....I got action but nothing hit the deck yet : (

Finally much later, Hiro spotted something in the distance…about 2-3 fish popping…

WE WENT FOR IT…….

Blasted near the zone dropped the trolling motor in and slid in…..

Not much in the way of boils or so forth…in fact….nothing….

BUT….

Hiro was 1st on the hookup…

STRIPEY !... Yeah Budddy !

As he was battling it, I asked if he wanted the net…

He said yes…

This is funnier than hell…

I pause my retrieve for a SPLIT SECOND…..put my rod in my left hand facing behind me so I could grab the net and hand it off to Hiro…

Wooosh !

I get a blowup and bendo….without even looking in the same direction..

While the rod was behind my back with the fish behind me….

I SET THE HOOK !

WITH MY LEFT HAND BACKWARDS ! with the rod reversed in my grip !

Stuck ‘em GOOD too !

Wooo-hoo

Double Hookup !

We both land our stripey and I’ve finally shaken the skunk !

SaaaaaWeeeT !

And in a real memorable unorthadox style !

Another several cast still didn’t find any more surface activity but I was next on ….Delivering the steel foundation !

Hookup !

Another schoolie but a little nicer grade bordering 4 lbs..

To the deck he goes !

Hiro is now on another after about another 7 minutes….

“Congrats buddy” …..as his striper is launched into the DEAD-WELL !

4 in the box as we move on…

We fished it hard….more dead action…slow…real slow….for a while !

All of the sudden we saw another 1-2 fish pop off in the distance and we hit it…

Hiro had a blow up from about a 6-8 lbder that knocked his KPN straight up in the air out of the water and the fish’s back porpoised out…we saw the whole thing but NO hookup (sorry buddy !)

I hooked one that came off after a couple O’ drag peels only to find that the jailbird had straightened my tail hook shank PAST the “L” point….owner stinger hooks to boot !

That’s why he got off the hook : (

Good to see a few much larger grade fish getting in the mix o thangs !

Far from wide open action and few “boiling” fish but there’s activity out there if you work for it…..

We continued on like that..on and off till the close..

We landed 7 Jailbirds and 1 LMB but lost a couple of each species as well…

Not all that different from my excursion there with Hiro the other day after the special needs trip…seems to be a slight pattern there, hopefully the fish will get into a more solid pattern with some cooling temps but this heat seems to keep the reins a little tight on ‘em for now !

I’ll promise to take a minute to snap a few pics next time, I know the report isn’t the same w/o them.

Good luck out there,
Gary

fishinone
10-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Congrats on the catching guys.

Thanks for the report Gary,

I've hoping to find some KPN's out there. I think we've all contributed some.

radray
10-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the report Gary and sorry about that big one that tangled you up. You will get them next time. Hopefully I find them from shore tomorrow. Have not seen much boils, but they are there.

kpn
10-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Good job guys! I was at the west ramp that morning just check thing out after dropping some lures at Gallion. I left after over an hr there......Just some lmb popped up.

KPN.

MichelleBedore
10-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Good job guys! I was at the west ramp that morning just check thing out after dropping some lures at Gallion. I left after over an hr there......Just some lmb popped up.

KPN.

You already dropped off new lures a couple days ago?
Sh#t! I hope I'm not too late to get a dang KPN before they get sold out again!

Gary, thank you for writing your report out like that, full of the delicious drama of hookups--and even the duds. Thanks so much--there's always things to be learned when I read all you regular's posts. Esp when you put the locations, type of tackle, time of day, etc. *wink*

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-13-2010, 04:28 PM
You already dropped off new lures a couple days ago?
Sh#t! I hope I'm not too late to get a dang KPN before they get sold out again!

Gary, thank you for writing your report out like that, full of the delicious drama of hookups--and even the duds. Thanks so much--there's always things to be learned when I read all you regular's posts. Esp when you put the locations, type of tackle, time of day, etc. *wink*

NP I don't mind sharing the times tackle etc, I don't typically lay out the GPS co-ordinates though as I work real hard to find the activity myself : )

Time on the water equals fish...get out there...they are there : )

as for KPN's contact Khanh...click on the website link thats here on the site or simply access kpntackle.com you'll be able to order them and he'll mail them to you rather quickly...

Downscale that 20lb test though : )

Good luck...

MichelleBedore
10-13-2010, 07:05 PM
NP I don't mind sharing the times tackle etc, I don't typically lay out the GPS co-ordinates though as I work real hard to find the activity myself : )

Time on the water equals fish...get out there...they are there : )

as for KPN's contact Khanh...click on the website link thats here on the site or simply access kpntackle.com you'll be able to order them and he'll mail them to you rather quickly...

Downscale that 20lb test though : )

Good luck....

Thanks. And I'm going to the lagoon again tonight....within the hour in fact! And yeah, that 20 lb test is ridiculous! IN fact, the whole rod is. Alternately, I have 6 lb on a nice vintage light daiwa rod with a new entry-level shakespere durango reel. I suspect it is too light to throw out the larger bass lures, but it *feels* so much better than that horrid tiger spinning medium action rod with a reel with no drag. :Rolls Eyes:
It's ok though. I have my smelly rotten anchovies (or herring?) double-bagged and defrosting. I am gonna get some night crawlers at WalMart on the way to the lagoon. I'm looking forward to it, whether I get any fish or not...and this time I know where to park. Thanks for the well-wishes.

Brian_GSC
10-14-2010, 02:53 PM
blind-backwards-bendo! LOL Right on bro!

crappiemike
10-14-2010, 07:54 PM
great report, haven't fish the upper
all year..i like the goon better LOL..

cm

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks. And I'm going to the lagoon again tonight....within the hour in fact! And yeah, that 20 lb test is ridiculous! IN fact, the whole rod is. Alternately, I have 6 lb on a nice vintage light daiwa rod with a new entry-level shakespere durango reel. I suspect it is too light to throw out the larger bass lures, but it *feels* so much better than that horrid tiger spinning medium action rod with a reel with no drag. :Rolls Eyes:
It's ok though. I have my smelly rotten anchovies (or herring?) double-bagged and defrosting. I am gonna get some night crawlers at WalMart on the way to the lagoon. I'm looking forward to it, whether I get any fish or not...and this time I know where to park. Thanks for the well-wishes.

If ur fishing the lagoon leave the anchovies at home...

what r U fishing for with those ? I hope not stripers - no stripers in lagoon....U may get kitties but overall the lagoon isn't a great kitty lake...the upper on the other hand is..

robos, senkos, nightcrawlers will get ur LMB U are targeting (I think U are targeting them)

MichelleBedore
10-19-2010, 02:20 PM
If ur fishing the lagoon leave the anchovies at home...

what r U fishing for with those ? I hope not stripers - no stripers in lagoon....U may get kitties but overall the lagoon isn't a great kitty lake...the upper on the other hand is..

robos, senkos, nightcrawlers will get ur LMB U are targeting (I think U are targeting them)

Walmart was completely out of nightcrawlers, so I just had lures and anchovies. Yes, the anchovies were for catfish; I had one rod set up for catfish and was practicing casting with the other rod. Yes, for bass. Any kind. LOL..actually anything with gills, to be precise.
I didn't know about no stripers in the lagoon---I'd heard there were giant ones in there, but perhaps it was just a rumour. So what's in the lagoon thern? LMB, bluegills, and Bream?

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-19-2010, 03:06 PM
I didn't know about no stripers in the lagoon---I'd heard there were giant ones in there, but perhaps it was just a rumour. So what's in the lagoon thern? LMB, bluegills, and Bream?
NO STRIPERS in the lagoon, the enviroment does not lend itself for their long term survival (w/o going into boring details)

LMB
White Crappie
Black Crappie
Bluegill
Redear sunfish
Green Sunfish
Catfish
Carp (golden Bass ..ha ha ha)
1 Arawana caught once (thought to be a pirana)