PDA

View Full Version : KPN Topwater action in the evening, 10-09-2010

fishinone
10-10-2010, 01:44 PM
FarmerJohn:Farmer: and I went out for the evening bite at Castaic yesterday. We got there a little after 3pm.

We cruised the whole fish arm and started down the ski arm without finding striper tracks (boils). We stopped to work a cove with a few birds in it, then one fish hit the surface in near the beach. John and I cast, John hooked up and worked the fish for a few seconds but it came unbuttoned. We worked the cove for a while but didn't see anything else going on, so we started cruising again.

We cruised the whole lake, we checked out the usual spots but we weren't seeing much sign. Finally after a few stops we stopped in a cove that had a few birds working in it and some shad activity at the edges. I cast to spot where the shad were scattering a little, worked it really easy and hooked up. John said, "Your lure was nearly sitting still.".

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%2010-09-2010/IMG00209-20101009-1723.jpg
Here's our first fish. we had less than an hour left to fish.

It wasn't long and John picked up another. He said, "My lure was sitting still.".

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%2010-09-2010/IMG00211-20101009-1728.jpg
One more in the boat.

So we had identified the days pattern (Not much action on the lure.).

I picked up another one.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%2010-09-2010/IMG00212-20101009-1731.jpg
Here's a quick picture I took while I hurried to get back out.

There was a small boil right behind us in the cove, I think John got his next fish off of it.

I got another off a spot where the shad were disturbed then one more of a small boil out on the point.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%2010-09-2010/IMG00213-20101009-1731.jpg
This picture might be the same fish from the picture above.

All too soon we had to head in, into the sunset.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%2010-09-2010/IMG00214-20101009-1816.jpg
I had to take a this picture for a parting shot.

So at the end off the day John had 2 striper and I had 4. We thought we were going to get skunked but pulled it out at the very end.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%2010-09-2010/IMG00216-20101009-1940.jpg
Here's a shot of the day's catch on the floor of the boat.

koifish
10-10-2010, 06:32 PM
wtg not bad for slow day.

CAPT'N
10-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Ron,

nice short slay!

Capt'n

trail blazer
10-10-2010, 07:19 PM
WTG F,1 and FRIEND!

2 more weeks and il have a friday off to slay down there,,HOPEFULLY

Great pics!~

TRAIL BLAZER

Optimist
10-11-2010, 12:53 AM
I was fishing at the west ramp Saturday morning too. The fish are boiling anyway from the dock. However, somehow they didn't take my KPN. I had no idea why. I tried to practice "how to" on the top water and sub walk. They are still not biting my KPN. I also try fluke white color also. No fish bite it. However, I think I am the the only one person who got skunk. There are one guy next to me. He got at least 5 LMB all around 16 inches, and 3 fat striped. He was using small plastic minnow with a bobber. He got bite almost about couple mins. I felt like .......! What did I do wrong! There is another guy who got the most fish on. He use the fresh dead shad from shore. He also used bobber and a 18" leader. he got some many LMB and one of them is legel size more than 18". He kept that one for his diner.

After I saw him using the dead shad, I want to use it too. But, I don't have a small hook with me this time. So, I have to keep practicing my KPN. The fish boil died out at around 10:30am, and I called it a day with another skunk day. However, I will be back on the next Saturday. Hopefully, I will be beat the skunk next time.

stg68
10-11-2010, 06:16 AM
LMB's and stripers feeding on small shad, you may need to use smaler lure.
Something like Zara Spook Puppy may work.

Sublime-Steve
10-11-2010, 06:22 AM
to bad he kept that bass.. could have been a DD some day.. DONT EAT THE BASS!!!!!!!!

stg68
10-11-2010, 06:52 AM
to bad he kept that bass.. could have been a DD some day.. DONT EAT THE BASS!!!!!!!!

I am agree.
Legally cannot say no, but nice to see them grow.
To me, much more excitement, when they released and swim away until next time.

fishinone
10-11-2010, 10:37 AM
WTG F,1 and FRIEND!

2 more weeks and il have a friday off to slay down there,,HOPEFULLY

Great pics!~

TRAIL BLAZER

Thanks T/B,

Let me know when your heading out here maybe I'll get to see the new boat.

I was fishing at the west ramp Saturday morning too. The fish are boiling anyway from the dock. However, somehow they didn't take my KPN. I had no idea why. I tried to practice "how to" on the top water and sub walk. They are still not biting my KPN. I also try fluke white color also. No fish bite it. However, I think I am the the only one person who got skunk. There are one guy next to me. He got at least 5 LMB all around 16 inches, and 3 fat striped. He was using small plastic minnow with a bobber. He got bite almost about couple mins. I felt like .......! What did I do wrong! There is another guy who got the most fish on. He use the fresh dead shad from shore. He also used bobber and a 18" leader. he got some many LMB and one of them is legel size more than 18". He kept that one for his diner.

After I saw him using the dead shad, I want to use it too. But, I don't have a small hook with me this time. So, I have to keep practicing my KPN. The fish boil died out at around 10:30am, and I called it a day with another skunk day. However, I will be back on the next Saturday. Hopefully, I will be beat the skunk next time.

I've been fishing the West Ramp at lunch. The dead fish are everywhere.

Where I was fishing in the Fish Arm there are very few if any dead shad but the fish did want a slack presentation on Saturday. Sunday they wanted it moving.

kpn
10-11-2010, 02:08 PM
So you two Gents have fun catching fish without me huh????? :LOL:.
Too bad I can't get out with you two bro......Thanks for the invite Ron....Next time!

Khanh.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-12-2010, 03:27 PM
nice work guys.....get on them when you can.....

Congrats

I honestly don't think it's about a dead stick aproach regarding your hookups, you just found the active feeding fiash at those times....

not ta say they won't hit that deadstick method I'm not doubting your hookups at all : ) but a stripers kill instinct is much stronger than it's dead stick attack instincts (not like a LMB)....when you didn't get bit it was probably cuz the fish werent there or not in the right depth zone for topwater.

Right now theyre real scattered and not always in bunches.....

I could be wrong but thats what I've been experiencing out there..

either way....way ta roll guys, nice work getting on them : )

Gary

fishinone
10-12-2010, 04:52 PM
I know what you mean Gary. I was working it really easy, not quite dead stick but that day, they were actually waiting for it to slow down. If I saw action behind my lure and kept going or sped up my retrieve they left. Slowing it down drew the strikes. The next day in the same spot I had to keep working the lure to get hit.

I've seen a couple complete dead stick hits lately, where the lure was sitting for a long time.

OK, it's time for an old story!

At Lake Fontana in NC, my friend and I were night fishing with a light out drawing up the shad. We had lots of small shad under the boat and could see 10 to 12 inch white bass blasting through the school. We were using ice jigs but couldn't get hit.

After a while I started to fall asleep and just got slammed and boated my first fish. I was awake then and went back to fishing with a renewed optimism, but couldn't get a hit. Soon I started to fall asleep again and slam! I got another one. I went back to fishing but held the lure as still as I could. The bite was wide open.

I laughed and laughed, telling my friend Randy ( Who's more hyper than I am. ), "Randy, Randy, you have to imitate this action exactly." after practically every new fish.

He didn't catch many fish. Holding the lure still was making him crazy.