PDA

View Full Version : what type of line is best to use for swimbaits

goose2foru
10-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Hello,
I am new to the west coast and a avid bass fisherman of some experience. however I am not use to swimbait fishing but gonna igve it a try this winter when the trout are being stocked. I normally fish casitas and castaic. I am getting a new Gloomis bbr964c and going to pair it with a curado 300. however I am wondering what line to use some people say that braid is the way to go and others say that they like the little bit of stretch that mono gives. I have no problems handling a bait casting reel so I am not worried about backlashes and the heavy baits breaking off. I would appreciate any feedback on whta line to use and also any methods of fishing the 7 and 8 8inch swimbaits at theese two lakes. I have only been on this network for a month know and have already made a report of castaic about two weeks and will be heading out there again this comeing thursday to slay some stripers and hopefully get that dd lmb that has eluded me on the east coast for so many years if you see a inked up skinny guy in front of a 18 foot bayliner cobra (black with a 150) on the back idle up and say high. Thank you...

bsp
10-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah, braid is not good unless you bump it up to 80lb for big topwaters like Lunker Punkers. Use 20lb line on the Curado 300 and you will be good. Castaic upper doesn't have many DD largemouth anymore, but the lower lagoon has a good, and very educated population. Don't expect to hit a DD your first time out using swimbaits, and prepare to be skunked more times than not if you dedicate to them all day. What baits are you planning on tossing?

goose2foru
10-08-2010, 04:50 PM
20 pound mono or floro? I plan throing some hudds, BBZ, tru tungsten, All around 8 inch baits. I really am new to the swimbaits i lived in pensylvania my whole life and just started fishing out here. Back in Pa There is no nead to throw simbaits you have a better chance of catching a 5 pound smallmouth than you do a large mouth... lol... I am a fairley good fisherman, and learn through trying diffrent retrieves, diffrent speeds. And I have a boat and get on the water at least 3 times a month when the winter is here if there is someone experienced in swimbaiting that wants to go out let me know..Any info you could provide will help.. thanks bsp..

bsp
10-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Mono. You can use fluoro, but it gets pricey to respool after every other trip. Izor XXX or Big Game work very well as they are strong and cheap, so you can swap them out after every other trip to be totally safe. If you are brand new to swimbaiting, I would leave EVERY other rod and reel combo at home and only take swimbait gear for your first dozen trips. You really need to force yourself to commit to the mentality, and cannot go out expecting this to be be a numbers technique. Pick one lack and learn it as well as possible instead of hitting a bunch of different lakes. Look for the most ideal location a big bass could be in. Deep water access near shallow cover, main lake points, easy access to food, and lots of ambush points are things to look for. Sometimes the subtle differences will make a difference as they can shove a spot towards ideal as opposed to good.

Also, lots of east coast and New England guys stick solid swimbait fish. You can catch a 2lb fish on an 8in swimbait. I've done it, and it happens often enough that you realize bass will hit very large baits.

Hudds, BBZs, and Tru Tungstens are all good baits. Really spend time tossing the Hudds as you can slow roll them right on the bottom, which gets a lot of bites. Focus on learning one bait at a time too so you can learn the subtleties of each well. Then you'll get a better idea of what each can do, and which bait you want for each situation.

That's a pretty basic overview, so let me know if you have any other questions. I'm not an expert swimbaiter by any means, but I know a few things and will share what I can.

All the best,
Marc

ogrich31
10-09-2010, 01:16 AM
I use 20-25lb Big Game and 20-30lb Pline CXX. Best lines I've used for swimbaits, but too bad I don't toss swimbaits anymore.

AngryAgent
10-09-2010, 02:48 AM
I like braid for swimbait fishing because you get a quicker reaction time setting the hook without the stretch of mono. I like a short topshot of mono or flouro whatever you want to use but for me the braid allows you to put more pressure on the fish. You will get a lot of bites that don't stick swimbait fishing and it sucks because you work so hard to even get bit. We have gone days without getting bit while metering fish all over the place! Don't get discouraged it pays off in the end. I also like the Hudd 12's for fishing on the bottom. I have a friend of mine rig them up for me with my treble on top behind the dorsal so I don't have to worry about hanging it up.

Good luck

goose2foru
10-09-2010, 11:14 AM
thanks for all the info guys. Do you guys throw swimbaits all year or just mostly in the colder months and around the time the yare stocking trout? Thanks again guys..

AngryAgent
10-09-2010, 11:27 AM
thanks for all the info guys. Do you guys throw swimbaits all year or just mostly in the colder months and around the time the yare stocking trout? Thanks again guys..

Fish the trout swimbaits when they are stocking the trout. I have fished them other times as well and have seen many followers but no takers like when they are stocking.

goose2foru
10-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Any of you guys that are helpin me out with info, gonna be chaseing boils at castaic next week. I will be there on thursday. I was there a few weeks back and it was pretty dam good. I put up a report... HOpefully can get into a dd Lmb or at least a striper...thank you for the help...

bsp
10-09-2010, 12:06 PM

All year long. That's why you have bass, shad, herring, and bluegill swimbaits! Also, you can stick fish on trout baits even in lakes that have no trout, so toss those all year too. Main thing is to just keep tossing them and you'll get bit eventually.