PDA

View Full Version : Golden Trout Lakes w/ the "Sierra Slam"

Piss on Myspace
10-08-2010, 08:19 AM
1st off boys, I apologize for the late report but I knew it would raise a few eyebrows without all the pictures…took a while to get my buddies pics and also to learn how to post them. Hope it was worth the wait, man it’s gorgeous up there! Myself and buddy, Will, headed up north in search of our 1st brook and golden trout, while still trying to manage the “slam” for the weekend. We planned on hitting a few spots along the 395, then backpack into the Humphries Basin for the goldies. Plans didn’t go accordingly…but it’s hard to be anything but in a good mood when you’re up there.

After grabbing some breakfast and coffee, we hit the road at 06:30. Made the long trip up and by 10:45, 1st spot, I had the first fish of the slam….brownie on a powerworm.

Next cast…2nd fish of the slam, stocker rainbow on the same worm. F” Yeah!

Action slowed, and we decided to head to the next spot…After all, the plan was to hike to Piute Lake that day…lol. At this point, buddy Will was fishless, so we decided to hit some canals to punk the skunk….What’s with the guilty smile?

Since it didn’t smell of skunk anymore, we stopped in Independence, grabbed lunch at Subway, and continued up the road. Next spot produced the biggest fish of the trip…gorgeous ‘Bow on a rainbow panther martin….

25958 25957

Checked into the ranger station, grabbed our permits and bear canister, and was off to the 168. We made it to the trailhead, got everything packed and began hiking at…… 16:45…yeah just a little late right? lol. At the trailhead we saw this little girl…

We hiked for what seemed liked forever, guided by the moonlight, and made it to Loch Leven Lake around 22:30. Being our first trip there and having to establish the trail every 15 minutes, the hike took just a little while longer than planned. We set up camp near the inlet, ate dinner, and crashed out a little later than 01:00.

Next day we were greeted by a postcard awakening….

By 07:45 the tent was an oven, and I awoke sweatin’ balls…anybody else hate that feeling? Somehow Will managed to stay asleep so I decided to hit the inlet of the lake. By 08:30 I had my 1st ever, and 3rd fish of the slam, Brook trout, caught on a mini brook rapala. C&R’d 8-10 other brooks on jigs, powerworms, rapalas, and panther martins. Headed back for some breakfast, packed up, and made our way to the Golden Trout Lakes. Heres some pics along the way:

Thats Piute Pass In The Background....she's a B*itch!

Me getting my Mavn vs Wild on

Us at the top of the pass

We made it to the Upper GTL around 15:00. We fished the inlet for weeds, before heading around near the outlet. The very 1st cast I made, I got hit. Threw back out and set the hook on my 1st ever goldie….GRAND SLAM!!! Handed my pole to Will, he casts out, and hooks on his 1st golden. The fishing gods were obviously looking down upon us.

25966 25967 25968

Action died and we moved to the lower lake. Due to the late start, we only had time to fish the inlet area, before sunset. Fish were boiling everywhere….Threw everything at them for a handful of fish. They grew accustomed to what we were using, so I switched over to a bubble/fly combo….sure am glad I did…..lets just say now I’m a believer! 3 of the last 4 casts resulted in a fish. All fish caught out of the lower lake were Brooks. Started the hike back to Loch Leven at 17:30, hiked again at night, and made it back at 22:30

Next day, I awoke at 08:00 greeted by a full sun and sore back. Began fishing and made my way down to the damn. The fish were cruising everywhere!!! I actually had to leave, so the fish would bite for Will. Released probably 8-10 brooks, on panther martins, before heading back to camp to pack up and enjoy breakfast; oriental top ramen with Lock Leven Lake water.

Once packed, we headed back over to the damn to slay some more brookies. Will had already packed his poles away, so I let him use one of mine. He threw panther martins while I used the fly combo. The action slowed on the lures, but heated on the fly! We switched as the fly combo went wide open for our last half hour of fishing. I actually commentated as he hooked up on a fish….theres one!, slow down bro, he’s coming up….he’s nosing it….now!....FISH ON!!! We released 15-18 fish before heading back down the trail.

Started the hike back at 14:00 and made it back to the car by 16:30. I can’t begin to tell you what a difference it makes hiking downhill and in the daylight….2 ½ hours as oppose to 5 ½ hours.

I just wanted to take the time and thank SierraPeaks and Fishlic for their useful info and honey holes....truly appreciated.

Cheers Boys,
Dave

TROUT MASTERS
10-08-2010, 08:42 AM
VERY NICE LOOKING TROUT,LOOKS LIKE YOU GUYS HAD A BLAST.
THANKS FOR THE REPORT.
TROUT MASTERS :Cool:

chris
10-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Way to go Dave. A very detailed report and the pictures are awesome

Piss on Myspace
10-08-2010, 09:00 AM
yeah dude, i finally got a friend! nah that sh*t took me forever to learn how to post them up....the reports two weeks late. Inspiration for next year tho, right? How's the boat man, ready for lobster season? We need to get together and slay....im heading up to Jenks today, hit me up if your down. peace homie...ill hit ya up

SierraPeaks
10-08-2010, 11:27 AM
1st off boys, I apologize for the late report but I knew it would raise a few eyebrows without all the pictures…took a while to get my buddies pics and also to learn how to post them. Hope it was worth the wait, man it’s gorgeous up there! Myself and buddy, Will, headed up north in search of our 1st brook and golden trout, while still trying to manage the “slam” for the weekend. We planned on hitting a few spots along the 395, then backpack into the Humphries Basin for the goldies. Plans didn’t go accordingly…but it’s hard to be anything but in a good mood when you’re up there.

After grabbing some breakfast and coffee, we hit the road at 06:30. Made the long trip up and by 10:45, 1st spot, I had the first fish of the slam….brownie on a powerworm.

Next cast…2nd fish of the slam, stocker rainbow on the same worm. F” Yeah!

Action slowed, and we decided to head to the next spot…After all, the plan was to hike to Piute Lake that day…lol. At this point, buddy Will was fishless, so we decided to hit some canals to punk the skunk….What’s with the guilty smile?

Since it didn’t smell of skunk anymore, we stopped in Independence, grabbed lunch at Subway, and continued up the road. Next spot produced the biggest fish of the trip…gorgeous ‘Bow on a rainbow panther martin….

25958 25957

Checked into the ranger station, grabbed our permits and bear canister, and was off to the 168. We made it to the trailhead, got everything packed and began hiking at…… 16:45…yeah just a little late right? lol. At the trailhead we saw this little girl…

We hiked for what seemed liked forever, guided by the moonlight, and made it to Loch Leven Lake around 22:30. Being our first trip there and having to establish the trail every 15 minutes, the hike took just a little while longer than planned. We set up camp near the inlet, ate dinner, and crashed out a little later than 01:00.

Next day we were greeted by a postcard awakening….

By 07:45 the tent was an oven, and I awoke sweatin’ balls…anybody else hate that feeling? Somehow Will managed to stay asleep so I decided to hit the inlet of the lake. By 08:30 I had my 1st ever, and 3rd fish of the slam, Brook trout, caught on a mini brook rapala. C&R’d 8-10 other brooks on jigs, powerworms, rapalas, and panther martins. Headed back for some breakfast, packed up, and made our way to the Golden Trout Lakes. Heres some pics along the way:

Thats Piute Pass In The Background....she's a B*itch!

Me getting my Mavn vs Wild on

Us at the top of the pass

We made it to the Upper GTL around 15:00. We fished the inlet for weeds, before heading around near the outlet. The very 1st cast I made, I got hit. Threw back out and set the hook on my 1st ever goldie….GRAND SLAM!!! Handed my pole to Will, he casts out, and hooks on his 1st golden. The fishing gods were obviously looking down upon us.

25966 25967 25968

Action died and we moved to the lower lake. Due to the late start, we only had time to fish the inlet area, before sunset. Fish were boiling everywhere….Threw everything at them for a handful of fish. They grew accustomed to what we were using, so I switched over to a bubble/fly combo….sure am glad I did…..lets just say now I’m a believer! 3 of the last 4 casts resulted in a fish. All fish caught out of the lower lake were Brooks. Started the hike back to Loch Leven at 17:30, hiked again at night, and made it back at 22:30

Next day, I awoke at 08:00 greeted by a full sun and sore back. Began fishing and made my way down to the damn. The fish were cruising everywhere!!! I actually had to leave, so the fish would bite for Will. Released probably 8-10 brooks, on panther martins, before heading back to camp to pack up and enjoy breakfast; oriental top ramen with Lock Leven Lake water.

Once packed, we headed back over to the damn to slay some more brookies. Will had already packed his poles away, so I let him use one of mine. He threw panther martins while I used the fly combo. The action slowed on the lures, but heated on the fly! We switched as the fly combo went wide open for our last half hour of fishing. I actually commentated as he hooked up on a fish….theres one!, slow down bro, he’s coming up….he’s nosing it….now!....FISH ON!!! We released 15-18 fish before heading back down the trail.

Started the hike back at 14:00 and made it back to the car by 16:30. I can’t begin to tell you what a difference it makes hiking downhill and in the daylight….2 ½ hours as oppose to 5 ½ hours.

I just wanted to take the time and thank SierraPeaks and Fishlic for their useful info and honey holes....truly appreciated.

Cheers Boys,
Dave

My pleasure bro.
Happy to hear you nailed it. But then...I've never failed there or ever heard of anyone who has. If you ever go back again...take an extra day and hit Big Desolation Lake for the BIG Goldies.

FSHNLIC
10-08-2010, 05:46 PM
There ya go pal!!! I knew if I put on the pressure you'd produce.... you done good! gorgeous pictures and oh what an adventure..... hopefully in a few weeks we'll get on the big brownies!!!

teejay
10-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Good job Dave. Welcome to the "slam" club.

Piss on Myspace
10-09-2010, 03:36 PM
My pleasure bro.
Happy to hear you nailed it. But then...I've never failed there or ever heard of anyone who has. If you ever go back again...take an extra day and hit Big Desolation Lake for the BIG Goldies.

for sure man...ill have to look into that. the plan is to start making this an annual thing...not complaining, but all we got were fish sticks. How much farther is it....now i see why u said that ur favorite place in the sierra back country...thanks again my friend.

..... hopefully in a few weeks we'll get on the big brownies!!!
ahh mang u know this.....cant wait! and we won't do trolling either, if you can believe that :-)....just don't mention the "W".

so i got an idea...something for a big fish bet....or a beer for big fish...u realized that were taking turns with the big ones? Last time u got the big brown....time before that, i got the alper...but we gotta do something to mix it up

Good job Dave. Welcome to the "slam" club.
thanks mang, it feels good to be apart of the team. i take it the name tag is in the mail?