PDA

View Full Version : dam 10/07/2010

koifish
10-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Stopped at Castaic tried to fish for a couple of hours before work this morning. Got to the dam around 6:50 am wide open about 4-5 boats lauching and couple of guys walking along the dam. I did not see any boils at all... a lot of dead fish (shad and baby bass....). Worked on "how to..." from Garry (Thank you Sir...) about 5 minutes till my wrist got hurt hahaha... then bump hook up one striper (2 lbs). Got a call from work, called it a day. Fished for 30 minutes. Heard there was boils at the west ramp dock, people got some fishes there but had to go to work. I should have listened to RON to go there first...oh well...hahahah...

fishinone
10-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Nice catch.

Don't complain, that's pretty good for 30 minutes.

MichelleBedore
10-07-2010, 11:45 AM
OMG..I wondered what that looked like...weird how they just die like that. Kinda remids me of a lake they were showing on Nat'l Geographic that periodically would have tons of dead fish, animals and people who were near the lake at various times.
Turned out that scientists discovered the lake had toxic gasses that are released from the deep sublayers and gassing large quantities of fish, wildlife and villagers living around the lake. With the mystery finally solved, now there's "gas detectors" all around the lake to protect people.

Where did you take that photo of all the dead fish? Looks like the launch ramp. Do they clean it up, or do the seagulls and other fish eat the dead fish? I can't imagine the stench. Live fish are smelly enough, fer Godssakes.

SDDave
10-07-2010, 11:58 AM
OMG..I wondered what that looked like...weird how they just die like that. Kinda remids me of a lake they were showing on Nat'l Geographic that periodically would have tons of dead fish, animals and people who were near the lake at various times.
Turned out that scientists discovered the lake had toxic gasses that are released from the deep sublayers and gassing large quantities of fish, wildlife and villagers living around the lake. With the mystery finally solved, now there's "gas detectors" all around the lake to protect people.

Where did you take that photo of all the dead fish? Looks like the launch ramp. Do they clean it up, or do the seagulls and other fish eat the dead fish? I can't imagine the stench. Live fish are smelly enough, fer Godssakes.

take a drive down to Lake elsinore if you want to see a real fish kill, that place "POPS" every year

Optimist
10-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Nice catch. Did you use the sub walk technique? or just the regular walk the dog, and I am wondering how many casts before you move on the next point.

smokehound
10-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm not too sure it was the bluestoning that killed all those shad..

threadfin shad ALWAYS die in huge numbers when winter comes. they hate cold water.

I mean i see park lakes get bluestoned, and i NEVER see fish kills like this.

MichelleBedore
10-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, but didn't he say he saw LMB also, 2-3 lb floating dead as well? I bet it was toxic gas. (I knew I shoulda left hubby at home)

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-07-2010, 04:04 PM
kill kil...slay slay...

Murder ...death....kill !

Congrats : )