PDA

View Full Version : SMB Bycatch

marzocchi
07-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Had word that the halibuts are back in the area, so I decided to take a trip down to the bay and try for a big barney. Stop by to get some horse sardines and out to my spot. Decided to try the opposite side of my spot to stay away from the sandbass. Got a few monster bait rakes, so I knew they were in the area. Not too long rod 1 goes off, but I lose him. Then rod 3 is going off and rod 2 is about to about double over. Grab rod 2 and said screw rod 3 because I think I got a brute! It felt like the reef, but it is taking some long runs. I thinking to myself...damn batrays. After awhile it is straight up and down and it renews my confidence that it is a halibut. I see that it is tiring and I am pumping the mother up slowly. Told pops to get the gaff and be ready cause this is gonna be huge. He yells out monster white seabass. He sticks her in the head and cant even lift her over. I had to help gill plate her on to the deck. This thing was a hog. It was so fat that it has a underside belly line. I caught some big WSB , but this has to be the PB. This thing has to be pushing some serious number, so I couldnt guess the weight. I must have gotten lucky and hit a school of WSB. After that, I went to to my sheephead / sculpin spot, but couldnt find the reef. Where did it go after a few months? Weather was picking up, so I decided that I quit while I am ahead.

Cant wait until what the next adventure brings.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/marzochhi/DSC07008.jpg

Tail Chaser
07-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Nice report,
Good job on the WSB.
Im starting to get a phobia on those darn Bat Rays. :roll:

cappo
07-25-2007, 06:34 PM
nice job, any idea what it weighed?

marzocchi
07-26-2007, 02:45 AM

I'll leave that to everyones imagination because I have no clue. My guess is over 40, less than 80. You pick :)

Brad100
07-26-2007, 03:44 PM

I'll leave that to everyones imagination because I have no clue. My guess is over 40, less than 80. You pick :)

Without a beer can, ruler, shoe or some other relative size comparison, I'd guess 6 lb 4 oz.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/monkey.JPG

Jus' kidding, man... woulda been nice to see a comparison...

JapanRon
07-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Hi Brad100,

Yes .... yes .... I used to carry some minitures just for that purpose. :D

JapanRon