PDA

View Full Version : 10/6 upper, Blue Stoned, dead fish, shad, stripers, boils

SDDave
10-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Got to the lake around 12, boat was already soaked because I didn't put the cover on, thank me for buying a outdoor pro-shop 100 mile hour suit so I was warm and toasty in the pouring rain, there was about 6 rigs in the parking lot when I launched, and only one when I got in around 5,
I thought that I saw Ray L at the ramp but wasn't sure, I was going to ask him to hop in but didn't know if it was him, the guy had a dipnet and was working the docks.
Dead shad and baby bass everywhere, and that could mean only one thing, they blue stoned and it didn't appear that they spread it out very well, I sure it was done because it was in the budget but I've seen no need what so ever, alls it's doing is killing fish, I hate to see what it's going to look like in the morning, Ugly.
I headed over to Ball point to look for boils and bait and saw way more dead fish, the shoreline and the shallows were covered with dead and dying fish!
If you guys want to get out and try to make bait, I'm also selling a net, it's in the classies, the shoreline is loaded, I made a couple of dips and had my live wells plugged. I might also throw in a dipping lesson with the net.
The striper's were busting on the shad, I went thru a weeded and spooked a very large school of striper's, had to have been thousands!
I started a drift, and started to hammer the the striper's and largemouth, saw one other boat they had pulled up at the point and were getting fish on the top water.
All this in the pouring rain...http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/5c6b5be7.jpgHeres a few pic's of the models that were biting...http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/facfc22a.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/ce211b11.jpg

yolo
10-06-2010, 07:07 PM
There are very strict state mandates on copper sulfate (blue stoning). They would have had to close the lake to drop it by helicopter. Unless they do it at night, although I think it needs to be done during the day??? Not sure about that. Was the lake ever closed? It's kind of late in the season to even need it. I'll take an educated guess and say it didn't happen.

Btbdodgers
10-06-2010, 10:05 PM
yea it makes me wonder cause, in WON reports its says they didnt blue stone the lake, so i dunno, be nice to know why this is goin on

MonsterGuppy
10-06-2010, 11:03 PM
This was from the the 3rd

http://www.castaiclake.com/docs/2010/fish_reports/fish_report_10-03-10.pdf

Don't think the lake knows why the die off is happening.

Btbdodgers
10-06-2010, 11:33 PM
link not working for me

Btbdodgers
10-06-2010, 11:41 PM
nm it does work :LOL:

Btbdodgers
10-06-2010, 11:44 PM
yea thats the same exact fishing report that was in the WON hmmmmmm

yolo
10-07-2010, 05:43 AM
yea it makes me wonder cause, in WON reports its says they didnt blue stone the lake, so i dunno, be nice to know why this is goin on

The stripers are scaring them to death, lol.

fishinone
10-07-2010, 07:55 AM

It could be low oxygen in places, it could also be some kind of algae bloom but I like this idea.

SDDave
10-07-2010, 08:05 AM
I emailed the park assitant director and she said that she's unaware of any treatment, and they would have told them if they were going to to treat, no blue stoning.
So just a fish die off, that could be do to all kind of different reasons.
I do know that the shad are up and the stripers are getting fat.

fishincrave
10-07-2010, 08:23 AM
The stripers are on the killing mode:Evil::Evil::Evil: it is way to late to blue stone anything. This summer season was not warm enough to get the normal green algea, so go get them i bet Bob is out there killing them just about now:Big Grin: and i have to head to work:Evil:

SDDave
10-07-2010, 08:29 AM
The stripers are on the killing mode:Evil::Evil::Evil: it is way to late to blue stone anything. This summer season was not warm enough to get the normal green algea, so go get them i bet Bob is out there killing them just about now:Big Grin: and i have to head to work:Evil:
Yeah thats what I thought why the hell would they be doing it now, unless they had it on the books and it was allready paid for, bureaucratic stuff..
Nope no Bob, just me and a couple other boats, but I'm sure he'll be there soon, wheres all the guys from FNN, a little weather and everyone stays home..

Ray Lopez
10-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Got to the lake around 12, boat was already soaked because I didn't put the cover on, thank me for buying a outdoor pro-shop 100 mile hour suit so I was warm and toasty in the pouring rain, there was about 6 rigs in the parking lot when I launched, and only one when I got in around 5,
I thought that I saw Ray L at the ramp but wasn't sure, I was going to ask him to hop in but didn't know if it was him, the guy had a dipnet and was working the docks.
Dead shad and baby bass everywhere, and that could mean only one thing, they blue stoned and it didn't appear that they spread it out very well, I sure it was done because it was in the budget but I've seen no need what so ever, alls it's doing is killing fish, I hate to see what it's going to look like in the morning, Ugly.
I headed over to Ball point to look for boils and bait and saw way more dead fish, the shoreline and the shallows were covered with dead and dying fish!
If you guys want to get out and try to make bait, I'm also selling a net, it's in the classies, the shoreline is loaded, I made a couple of dips and had my live wells plugged. I might also throw in a dipping lesson with the net.
The striper's were busting on the shad, I went thru a weeded and spooked a very large school of striper's, had to have been thousands!
I started a drift, and started to hammer the the striper's and largemouth, saw one other boat they had pulled up at the point and were getting fish on the top water.
All this in the pouring rain...http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/5c6b5be7.jpgHeres a few pic's of the models that were biting...http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/facfc22a.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/ce211b11.jpg

Yea that was me out there. My buddy Dan and I went out trying to get on some shad since he has yet to get on a shad bite. The dead shad, bass, and bluegill was very disheartening to say the least. At first i thought maybe the striper were boiling on them hard and just shoving them up on shore but then seeing a handful of 2 to 4 pound LMB dead and floating changed my mind. Lots of people saying it was from blue stoning but i read the report where they said "We did not blue stone". I'm thinking it might be due to the rain flows dropping some nasty stuff into the water.

Needless to say we were not able to net any good live shad since they seemed to be a tad to deep to get from shore. Tried the KPN topwater for nadda, Dan used a super fluke for nadda. We fished there for a few hours then went to the west ramp, but it was more of the same. Loads of dead fish!!!! Checked the finger dock saw lots of silversides swimming below the docks but i'm not a huge fan of the silvers so we called it a day around 2:30pm. Plus that storm that moved in made the lake super choppy and unbearable even with my rain trench coat on.

I did see a few stripers jumping out of the water right off the west ramp. But we were over the crappy conditions and all the death.

Ray Lopez
10-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah thats what I thought why the hell would they be doing it now, unless they had it on the books and it was allready paid for, bureaucratic stuff..
Nope no Bob, just me and a couple other boats, but I'm sure he'll be there soon, wheres all the guys from FNN, a little weather and everyone stays home..

lol not me. I saw cold and rain and decided "what a great day for some shad!" too bad we came back with a fat skunk.

SDDave
10-07-2010, 10:10 AM
The worse the weather better stripers like it, even with my suit on it was still nasty, but I was on the fish, over at ball point, in those lil coves there was a blanket of dead fish as far as you could see on the bottom, I know where do for the lake to turn over, with this 100 degree days last week and now this low pressure system, but why the huge die off?
The fish I caught were fat as hell!
It was pretty easy picking in the boat to dip, I took off later to the center point and the north shore and picked up fish but the better fish were still around first cove!

Ray Lopez
10-07-2010, 10:20 AM
we were thinking about renting a boat. But i was too worried about the next storm front moving in and those dignys are no match for the stormy weather on the upper. Good to hear you were able to get on um Dave.

russ88
10-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Here’s what I observed this morning. I found a little area that had wolf packs of stripers 2-5 lb range. At first I thought they were largies. I would get blowups and no hookups. My topwater would fly off a good distance too. I was like damn these greenies are at it again. Till I saw what was chasing my lures. They would nose my flukes n jerkbaits then shy away Stripers aren’t too stupid after all. Keep in mind that there were no dead shad or baby bass in the area when I started fishing. I fished this area for 3 hours. I watched these stripers chase bait in less than a foot of water. They were tearing ish up for a good 2 hours. They were on the move and terrorizing. They wouldn’t eat the half dead floaters (injured shads) but would chase down a single lively shad a good distance. I found what was working and slayed away. Speed of retrieve and direction of how I ran my lures mattered more than the type of lure I was using. Well after all the mayhem…. There was probably a hundred dead shad n baby on shore. Seems like all the slapping and chasing were killing the shads and baby bass….. Just my 2 cents.

kerryvbc1
10-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Oh this sucks! The guy I bought my boat from used to go out at Diamond Valley with the DFG and Shock the striper to get them thinned out. Maybe this is why?

SDDave
10-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I talked it over with a friend and as I said above some were, there wasn't any blue stone, the dye off is do to the lake turning over and this lowers the oxygen levels and the algae bloom, so these fish get trapped in areas where there isn't the 02 levels to sustain them and so they come to the surface and with the help of striper's and bass they get muscled to the shallows and get hammered, the weak die and the cycle cont inures.
I was looking at my sonar tonight and didn't see the thermocline, fish targets were out deeper than they have been, I was seeing fish deep where they had been in the 10 to 30 ft range, now there deeper. Fished this afternoon till closing and found a new group of bait and guess who was close by??? they really put on a show for us the last few minutes before closing, they had shad dancing and were knocking them up 2 feet on to the bank, all you had to do was put a spook right on top of them and it was instant hook up....
Tomorrow most likely the North west winds will come in and shut the lake down.

Big G
10-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Sorry dave. I think ur wrong. Asked around lake workers deny it. And my pops is a water treatment operator at metropolitan, he said he hasnt heard anything.(The treatment plant would have to be warned in order to make tx adjustments.) Spent most the day on the lake thursday, and saw a lot of striper working shad. But they were not eating them. Most of my time in one area and notice that when the boils came thru, they left behind a lot of dead fish, 100s. There were sculpin, shad, bass fry, even 4 to 6 inch bass and blue gill. It was a trip, could hardly believe it.

yolo
10-07-2010, 08:26 PM

I'll just quote myself :Big Grin:

SDDave
10-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Sorry dave. I think ur wrong. Asked around lake workers deny it. And my pops is a water treatment operator at metropolitan, he said he hasnt heard anything.(The treatment plant would have to be warned in order to make tx adjustments.) Spent most the day on the lake thursday, and saw a lot of striper working shad. But they were not eating them. Most of my time in one area and notice that when the boils came thru, they left behind a lot of dead fish, 100s. There were sculpin, shad, bass fry, even 4 to 6 inch bass and blue gill. It was a trip, could hardly believe it.
Like all thing, statements change, I said on page 2 on think, that yes I said it wasn't a blue stone, I talked to the park Superintends, no blues stone..... It's like Yolo said, the stripers scared them or something....

SDDave
10-07-2010, 08:37 PM
I'll just quote myself :Big Grin:
I have a quote, "Shut Up and Fish"

yolo
10-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Yes sir. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday?

TroutOnly
10-07-2010, 08:48 PM
The lake did the same thing last year,but the fish were dieing closer to the bouyline,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Vulture
10-08-2010, 01:26 PM
I think it was Blue Stoned, I don’t know if anyone noticed but the lake had a MEAN algae bloom last week and now its all clear and gone. Did one of the employees skim the lake with a large net to remove all the algae? I don’t think so. Blue Stone did it. Don’t believe lake employees, they don’t want to answer for all the dead fish.

yolo
10-08-2010, 01:33 PM
I think it was Blue Stoned, I don’t know if anyone noticed but the lake had a MEAN algae bloom last week and now its all clear and gone. Did one of the employees skim the lake with a large net to remove all the algae? I don’t think so. Blue Stone did it. Don’t believe lake employees, they don’t want to answer for all the dead fish.

It was not blue stoned.

jerryG
10-09-2010, 12:11 AM
It seems likely that the fish kill was caused by fall turn over. This is the time of year when lakes in Socal turn over and in severe situations the results can be potentially devastating to the fish population.

JerryG

cutbait
10-09-2010, 06:12 AM
I agree with Yolo.

Schools of striper tail swiping the bait sized fish.

Is water flowing into the lagoon from the upper? If so are there any dead fish in the goon?

Trailblazer and I saw it first hand at striper fest. We posted up on HUGE shad ball. Next thing you know one dead shad pops up, then two, then 20 then 100 etc.,then it just stopped. All this while we were nailing stripers right under the boat, and when the dead shad stopped coming up, the stripers stopped biting. Like Bob said, at the bouy line last year.

Bigfish12
10-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Nice to see the shad :)

kaneo
10-09-2010, 07:14 AM
the lake is turning over for the season, NO BLUESTONE, when you have 110 degrees one week and and 56 the next, and the low temps in the morning's now are causing a change in the thermocline, which results in the algee bloom.. its happens every year, and yes the dead fish are from the stripers and the bass busting into the bait balls...

jergjergens
10-09-2010, 08:25 AM
What is blue stoning?

yolo
10-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Copper sulfate (blue stone) is dropped and spread from a helicopter and it is used to control algae. You can google it for more in depth description.

SDDave
10-09-2010, 11:42 AM
the lake is turning over for the season, NO BLUESTONE, when you have 110 degrees one week and and 56 the next, and the low temps in the morning's now are causing a change in the thermocline, which results in the algee bloom.. its happens every year, and yes the dead fish are from the stripers and the bass busting into the bait balls...
Just like the this, the lake is just turning over, get out and fish, bass and stripers bust bait in the coves main lake, find the bait and fish will show, throw topwater, ripbait, flukes, live shad, ...
this thread is dead....