PDA

View Full Version : 10/5/10 Late Afternoon Upper Lake

MichelleBedore
10-06-2010, 01:54 AM
We only had 2 hrs to fish, but it was still good opportunity to practice, and we were able to use the new trolling motor. I tried a bunch of different lures and retrivals over at the end of the lake where the long string of bright orange buoys are strung acoss that dam area. It was overcast & really cold! the water was very choppy and the wind was biting instead of the fish. I had wisely loaded extra jackets for us, and the doggies had theirs on too. In fact, Teensie had TWO jackets on, lol. So we were nice and comfy despite the icky, windy cold weather.

Time flew by and before we knew it, it was already approaching 5:30pm. Realizing we were spending all our precious time in ONE area that fish weren't biting, we fired up the 100 hp outboard and jetted over to the other arm of the lake over to Elizabeth Canyon.

At the entrance of Elizabeth Canyon, we cut the motor off and hooked up the trolling motor. We started to cast over by the buoy where I always see ppl fishing. We were there about 10 min or so when along came a sheriff, who cruised right up to us and said Hi. He was super nice (and mighty cute!) and asked us if we'd caught anything. After admitting we were nubes and hadn't caught any fishies, he checked on his fishfinder and said there weren't any fish right there. He told us that usually there are some nice ones right where we were. Then he told us about few regular places that fish hang out....knowing we only had about 10-15 min before we had to head back to the ramp he very kindly offered to check a nearby cove with his fishfinder. So we trolled across the way to where he said there was a school of fish, but we got no bites. The water was so much calmer of there that I practiced the walk the dog technique with my 4" heddon spook and was able to perform it satisfactorily. The KPN topwater lures were sold out at Galleons. (sp?)
We had to leave---boats had to be on their trailers by 6:30. I hated to leave empty-handed and especially since felt like I'd catch fish any minute the whole time I was there, hahah.

Anyway, depite not catching any fish, I'm not really all that disapointed. It was fun! After we loaded up the boat, we pulled up to the parking lot to tie off the boat. A couple guys were there finishing up and we chatted a few minutes. He caught like 12 striper and 2 LMB and some catfish. He threw back the LMB and catfish, but kept all the striper. When he found out we didn't catch anything, he offered one of his to us. He said he had lots to spare. Wasn't that sweet? :Smile:

I think I want a fishfinder. Or is that considered cheating?? :Secret:

trail blazer
10-06-2010, 05:26 AM
Darn right its cheating<IF YOU ASK A FISH<<LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,Great report,,,THANKS.

Just goes to show us all that its not just abought catching,,,Mostly its abought enjoying our time on the water!

TRAIL BLAZER

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-06-2010, 10:34 AM
you'll get on 'em next time....get back out there and try again ...

fish finder a plus no matter what anyone says.....a MUST

not just to find fish but more importantly to find structure and baitfish

MichelleBedore
10-06-2010, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=trail blazer;491632]Darn right its cheating<IF YOU ASK A FISH<<LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,Great report,,,THANKS.

Just goes to show us all that its not just abought catching,,,Mostly its abought enjoying our time on the water!

TRAIL BLAZER

Hehe...yes, that's right! *thumbs up*

MichelleBedore
10-06-2010, 02:16 PM
you'll get on 'em next time....get back out there and try again ...

fish finder a plus no matter what anyone says.....a MUST

not just to find fish but more importantly to find structure and baitfish

Agreed! dangit, I'm saving up to get a yearly pass to castaic/puddingstone, etc. Now I have a fishfinder on list as well. I almost wanna get a fishfinder 1st. Has anyone used neon lights to attract baitfish at night? That way, you attract all the zooplankton and baitfish, and then of course, hopefully prey fish. hehe

fishinone
10-06-2010, 02:19 PM
It doesn't matter if fishfinders are cheating.:LOL:

I was never planning on giving the fish a fair deal in the first place.:Razz::Razz:

They are a great tool. Get somebody who's good with one to show you how to use them.

Lowrance usually has a good class at the Fred Hall Show.

MichelleBedore
10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
It doesn't matter if fishfinders are cheating.:LOL:

I was never planning on giving the fish a fair deal in the first place.:Razz::Razz:

They are a great tool. Get somebody who's good with one to show you how to use them.

Lowrance usually has a good class at the Fred Hall Show.

Haha, yeah, right? My hubby said using a fishfinder's kinda like cheating...but then I reminded him of how he used to go hunting with his dad using binoculars and lie in wait for deer to come by and shoot 'em with guns. At least the fish come to US to willingly take our offerings, hehe. Guns, bow and arrows, binoculars, etc. are cheatin if fishing with fishfinders is. In fact, NOT using a fishfinder is like shooting at deer blindfolded. :Idea: